RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-23-2019, 08:10 PM   #1

Still no air bags

I have a lot on my plate right now,many things broke and need repair or replaced. At the same time I keep thinking I should just go a head and get the air bags and load the camper and see how it does. Well as much as I would like to do that, I know I wonít use the camper til spring,and if I do use it ,it wonít be going to far from home. So here I am reading and searching about truck campers and air bags for my truck.

fabricater is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2019, 08:26 PM   #2

Location: Wolf Creek dam area, Ky. Cardinal Center Camp Ground, Marengo Oh. or on the road.
If you have the time and $$$s
Fix it.

I personally hate to have known repair needs hanging over my head. They can accumulate faster than we can comprehend

Next thing you know ???
Its OVERWHELMING

HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 08:40 PM   #3

Every time I use that reasoning I end up with a list waiting for me and travel pending. Now I just try working on it steadily.
Mr_Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 10:14 PM   #4

Put the camper on the truck and take it for a drive....then decide if you need bags.
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 10:18 PM   #5
laj

golden advice, unless you just like spending extra money.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 04:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrayaz View Post
Put the camper on the truck and take it for a drive....then decide if you need bags.
I did that. I brought it home fro 80 miles away,then took it on a overnight boondocking trip 50 miles away. In another post I made I mentioned how bad the truck swayed side to side. My truck does great at slow speeds 50 mph and below,even corners fairly well. I took it off road on the boodocking trip and it did as expected that way as well. At 55 mph truck starts rocking side to side . At 60 mph it starts swaying so bad I think it might turn on itís side. The only way to get it to stop swaying is to slow down. Based on advice from here and my own reasoning,I think air bags will correct this condition.
Old 10-24-2019, 09:37 AM   #7

Just think about putting all that weight on a round bubble of air, when I put air bags on my last camper it did not take care of side to side it did level the camper.

I just purchased a new camper, I was advised by someone who has put a ton of campers on trucks (Host Camper Operations manager) to get Torklift stable loads. He told me that it is better to have 36 inches of springs Vs a round bubble of air.

Result, my camper comes in close to 5300. loaded and I had very little sway from side to side. Because I want zero I'm also adding a sway bar from Hellwig if you go onto their web sites or look for videos showing you how they work, it will make sense. I would start with lower stable loads (I think a lot less than airbags and weight is less) then try it again, from there you might add the sway bar.

My humble opinion is air bags won't solve what you have going on at the speeds to are talking about. Call both companies, I told each one what I was trying to do and they gave me great advise.

Lets us know how it works out, good luck
Ssgritton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 09:50 AM   #8

Airbags won't solve the sway problem; they will simply allow you to level the truck.

To cure sway, consider a rear swaybar (or a bigger one if you already have one), and/or a set of Torklift Stabile Loads.

As for doing the work, do it sooner rather than later.. otherwise you will dread it more and more as time passes. Airbags aren't hard at all to install (as long as there's no drilling). A rear swaybar is also easy, and Upper Stabile Loads are super simple.
RobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 09:58 AM   #9

Just reflecting back on the pics of the OP's truck and camper in previous post, he has great deal of squat at the rear. At some point being that far out of level has got to be unloading the front axle. CAT numbers loaded and unloaded would help.
Old 10-24-2019, 09:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobG View Post
Airbags won't solve the sway problem; they will simply allow you to level the truck.

To cure sway, consider a rear swaybar (or a bigger one if you already have one), and/or a set of Torklift Stabile Loads.

As for doing the work, do it sooner rather than later.. otherwise you will dread it more and more as time passes. Airbags aren't hard at all to install (as long as there's no drilling). A rear swaybar is also easy, and Upper Stabile Loads are super simple.
I think stable loads would be great if my Ram 2500 had leaf springs. It has coil springs that set inside the frame rail. This make the spring load much narrower that a truck with leaf springs as they are outside the frame rail. I am hoping that adding air bags under or to the outside of the frame rail will add a wider support to the truck camper and reduce sway. I am not looking to trade trucks as this one tows my 10,000 lbs toy hauler very well. I need to get this truck to carry my truck camper better. I do appreciate your reply all the info i can get will help me sole this problem.
Old 10-24-2019, 11:58 PM   #11
laj

if you donít have the right equipment to start with you canít put enough bandaids on to fix the problem.
Old 10-25-2019, 07:15 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
if you donít have the right equipment to start with you canít put enough bandaids on to fix the problem.
The problem with Dodge coils has come up often in multiple forums over time. So far I don't recall anyone reporting a fix, however, I would focus my search for information to owners of similar trucks.

For example, here is one thread focused on Dodge coils, there are many others https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...print/true.cfm
Old 10-25-2019, 07:58 AM   #13
laj

yup i agree. my opinion coils are good for getting groceries and hauling the 2 1/2 kids around, nothing else. imo the whole configuration is wrong for load carrying stability. especially when crowding the c. g. and upper weight, over weight limits. jmo
Old 10-25-2019, 09:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
yup i agree. my opinion coils are good for getting groceries and hauling the 2 1/2 kids around, nothing else. imo the whole configuration is wrong for load carrying stability. especially when crowding the c. g. and upper weight, over weight limits. jmo
I donít disagree with your statement. My set up will drag a heavy trailer down the road like itís not back there. When it comes to a load in the bed, it does not do that very well. My opinion is just what you said,the configuration is wrong. I donít have much of a problem using coil springs,rather the location of where they are placed. They are placed well inside the frame rails ,which gives a much narrower support. Place a wide truck camper in the bed and the support Is nearly half the width of the camper,thus allowing the weight to shift side to side easy. My hope is to add air bags between the frame and wheel. This would move the support out close to the wheels, supporting the load similar to a truck with leaf springs. My truck does have a factory sway bar,but it is rather small. A larger sway would help. I had a 2000 Ford F-350 with a 7.3 for 16 years. This Ram is a better truck in every way except payload and bed length. Not that the F350 was a bad truck.It was among the best in its day, however technology has came a long way in 20 years.

Tags
ags, air