Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-25-2005, 08:48 AM   #15

Superhitch---"super waste of money"

I guess if you are not towing more than 5000 lbs!

I can't imagine most people towing more than that UNLESS they have a horse trailer. Honestly, I think most people are sheep and get "led" into a false need for a HUGE hitch. Come on, $1000 for a hitch.....

I went with the Titan.

Tom

03 Palomino Bronco 1250
TJ Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2005, 11:30 PM   #16

TJ Camper,

First off, there certainly was no need for the insult.

It depends on what you are towing and the road conditions you may expect.

I tow an extremely long boat on some real bad roadways. You may not be familiar with frost heaves, the stress they put on a hitch is tremendous. It's not all about actual weight.

I have heard of the Titan extensions failing, I have never heard of the Superhitch extensions failing.

It's nice that there are choices.

Old 01-26-2005, 01:33 PM   #17

there are some pix of a broken titan at rv.net.
under a recent thread about an 1181....
glad I spent the money for a t lift... cant beat that walking beam for a long extension...JMHO>>>>
Old 01-27-2005, 08:30 PM   #18

AK-

The insult is only if the shoe fits. I was simply saying MOST people don't need to have a hitch that has the ability to tow MORE than 5000 lbs. Think about that for a second. Doesn't mean that they ALL don't. But I'm willing to bet MOST don't.

Now, about the extensions failing. I'm sure that there has been a cataclysmic failing of every type of hitch. I don't or can't dispute the math. Eventually everything breaks. Again, what I said is that the cost of the Tork list hitch is TOO darned expensive. I still believe MOST people that buy them don't need the excessive weight carrying capacity, and they fall prey to their hype. I suggest that EVERYONE makes their own choice. Not by listening to a salesman.

I too am glad we have choices.

03 Palomino Bronco 1250
TJ Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 10:14 AM   #19

Hey TJ,
lets not confuse hitch frame failure and extensions... the pix I saw show the reciever
cracking off of the hitch frame....
You are correct in that some dont need it...
pulling a small aliminum fishing boat is much different than say an off shore fishing boat...
its good to have choices....
Old 01-29-2005, 05:44 PM   #20

I was referring to the Titan sold "stinger" bending. I have see that in person.

Living and traveling around Alaska, I get to see some of the best and worst of different products on the market, and talk to many, many people.

I have personally seen a Titan hitch which failed like in the picture myself on a rig up here.

Choices are good, but it is important to make the right choices to do the job safely.

I think where the problem comes in is people not understanding tongue weights and how they are greatly diminished with a stingers length.

And, yes, a better product is worth more money.

I payed more for my Diesel, my camper, my tie downs, my GPS mapping system in my boat, the list goes on...every one of those things I could have gotten "similar" for less money. I research (sometimes obsessively) until I find the best item for my needs, and that has never failed me yet.

And I and many others are willing to pay more for products that through our research show to be "above the norm" in quality.

To me, these items are not "too expensive" or I would not purchase them. They provide more in value than their cost.

Of course, YMMV, as always!
Old 01-29-2005, 09:11 PM   #21

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I think where the problem comes in is people not understanding tongue weights and how they are greatly diminished with a stingers length. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. The new 2005 Lance brochure has some good info in the back about how the Reese 2-1/2" Titan hitch ratings change with different stinger lengths.

BradW
'96 Lance 500, '01 F-350 Powerstroke SC 4X4 SRW, Rancho 9000's, Air Lift Air Springs, Titan Hitch w/24" extension, Happijac Tie-downs, Line-X Bed Liner, 18' Bumble Bee / 150 ProV Yamaha, 16' Aluminum / 35 Honda
BradW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 02:04 AM   #22

The torklift web site has a chart that gives the caps on each extension as well. I weighed my trailer and each jeep to get the weights and bought a tongue scale to set the position of each jeep on the trailer for the correct tongue weight so I know exactly what I had and what my hitch/reciever, extension, hitch for ball and the ball was rated for.

I also researched the hitch question for a while and knew that I would be towing something behind the rig most of the time, I choose the torklift, the money was not an issue, what it would do was. Is it over kill maybe, but I would rather be over than under when towing a $23,000 jeep around. Kinda puts the extra cost of the superhitch in perspective.

2003 A990S Arctic Fox
Don and Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 07:16 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Well, I need the long extension for towing my ATV trailer. When out for a long vacation I don't expect to be taking the ATV's.
But I guess it is all about safety. Bigger sometimes isn't alway better. Both Torklift and Reese have been in businees for a long time. Neither one makes "junk".
It is sorta like the "gas or diesel" or SRW vs DRW or 5er vs TT.
Make an informed choice and pay your hard earned bucks.
Chet