Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:31 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Supporting an extended bunk

We are getting closer to buying a TC. Our truck is a 2002 F-350 CC, Dually, 4x4, with the 7.3 PS, and a six speed manual trans. It has the 8 foot bed. The camper we have picked out is a 2004 Lance Lite 8.6 with an extended front bunk. it is a wood framed unit with aluminum skin and an alluminum roof. Dry weight is 1750 lbs for this unit.

The unit is very clean, and does not have any water damage. This is a tiny little camper, and there is no place for a generator. The camper is self contained with a wet bath. One feature that I like about the Lance is the fiberglass shower stall which will minimize water leaks from the shower.

When we camp with the race car trailer, we will have access to the 6500 watt propane powered Onan on board the trailer to run 120 volt stuff like the AC unit. When we tow our boat we stay in commerical campgounds lakeside that have power at the campsite.

With this unit we can tow our 22 foot boat (6000 lbs), or our 24 foot race car trailer (7000 lbs) behind the truck without using hitch extensions and other aftermarket mods.

We are going to use the four point frame mounted tiedowns for the camper. My question is supporting the overhead bunk. I don't want to drill any holes in the cab of the truck. How effective are the inflatable cushions that sit on top of the cab wedged between the camper and the truck?

Thanks in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2013, 04:04 AM   #2

why do you feel you need extra support?

should be designed to carry weight, how much you putting in the loft?

Old 08-12-2013, 06:32 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
In the past lots of TC people installed dampers on the overhead bunk. We are not planning on hauling anything in the bunk, just the bedding.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:41 PM   #4

There's no need to use any support for the cabover.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:53 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thanks, Sounds Good!
Old 09-05-2013, 04:06 AM   #6

went tubing

It was hot and needed to put the tubes my wife and i were using somewhere, so remembering this post .I let some air out and pushed 'em between the camper and the cab, then filled with enough air so i could still get my hand out. they stayed in place , up to 60 mph . had to help with aerodynamics at least. sorry no pic.