Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-17-2015, 03:57 PM   #1

Supporting Camper with cement blocks when not on truck.

I called Host and they said my Camper doesn't need blocks put under camper when not on truck too help take the stress off of the jacks. They said lower camper to the ground and even I can use the camper if I want. The only thing they said make sure I put wood under each leg so it wouldn't sink in the ground.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2015, 07:35 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Did they give a reason? Cinder blocks, often called cement blocks by mistake, are not very strong and can collapse or crumble. Another reason might be that the Host has had experience with folks toting blocks into the sites but don't haul them out again when they leave. You could nail together a few sections of wood blocks to give stable and steady supports for your camper. They don't seem to mind wood.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Did they give a reason? Cinder blocks, often called cement blocks by mistake, are not very strong and can collapse or crumble. Another reason might be that the Host has had experience with folks toting blocks into the sites but don't haul them out again when they leave. You could nail together a few sections of wood blocks to give stable and steady supports for your camper. They don't seem to mind wood.
Host said if I did use blocks or wood posts to put them under each corner. The reason I don't need support is I have a aluminum frame which they say makes it lightweight. I would think 2700 pounds wouldn't be very lightweight. I will be putting blocks and a 2x8x4 under the front of camper to change my jacks to expand outward for a dually truck.
Old 08-18-2015, 08:10 PM   #4

Just sitting on the jacks, I would think it would be quite wobbly.....Setting on blocks would make it much more stable
Old 08-18-2015, 08:37 PM   #5

You can use cement ( concrete ) blocks under the corners. Place them with the holes up, for strength, with plywood or 1X6 boards on top.

That is how millions of mobile homes are supported.

Cinder blocks were made with cinders from coal plants as a filler. They were not very strong, and not what you want to use. I'm not sure if they even make them anymore.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:36 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
You can use cement ( concrete ) blocks under the corners. Place them with the holes up, for strength, with plywood or 1X6 boards on top.

That is how millions of mobile homes are supported.

Cinder blocks were made with cinders from coal plants as a filler. They were not very strong, and not what you want to use. I'm not sure if they even make them anymore.
I agree, and I don't know if cinder blocks are available either. I was just wondering if it was the reason the OP was told not to use cement blocks because some folks equate the two, cinder and concrete blocks. He was told not to use them so I don't think even blocks used with plywood or lumber would be O.K. I really think it's a disposal issue when the trailer is removed.

Bob & Donna
Old 10-05-2015, 11:02 AM   #7

supporting camper off of your truck

I decided to go with using plywood as support. A 4X8 by 3/4 thk. cut 3 times with a center notch in each so they slide into each other to form to X's and they work out to approx. 23&78 inches each. They will lay flat in the bed and the camper sits on top when we travel. Have been using this setup for 2 seasons with no problems so far.It takes an extra couple of minutes to set up and put away when we are on the road BUT the unit is not totally being supported by the 4 lifting jacks and we can move around in the camper without the wobble occurring.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:18 AM   #8

I read in my lance camper owners manual not to get in the extended cabover bed when not mounted in a truck? I have many times but I guess it can tip or they are just saying that for legal protections?

I always support my camper with blocks and a 2x6 across the front and back if its off the truck for more than a day.
\Mine is a 93 and not an aluminum frame. But still I think for the wind all should be supported a bit .
Old 10-05-2015, 11:39 AM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkski View Post
I read in my lance camper owners manual not to get in the extended cabover bed when not mounted in a truck? I have many times but I guess it can tip or they are just saying that for legal protections?
I'd bet it's put in by the lawyers as a CYA precaution. The cab over doesn't receive any support from the cab, so it's just a precaution for if the person was heavy enough to counter the weight of the camper's tail. A person could put the supports far enough back of the main camper base to create a see saw effect.

Bob & Donna
Old 10-06-2015, 04:13 PM   #10

How do you determine if the camper is square and supported so the slides and door doesn't bind when it is off the truck. I used to have a TC (LiteCraft) that was pretty sensitive to being square, and I have heard a few posts that talked about slides binding when TC are off the truck.

My current TC, a Bigfoot, is so stiff it doesn't flex at all, but the Manual gives specific instructions on how to properly support it. I have always felt more comfortable with the camper as low as it will go and at least supported at the 4 corners, but that is just me, I guess.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:52 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
An 18-24" level could make sure it's level fore and aft, left to right at the front and back of the floor area. Other than that, I don't know of another method to ensure you're not twisting the frame.

I'd use the recommended support points, not just the corners. Strongest support points might not be the corners, but under a point away from the corners.

Bob & Donna