Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:41 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Suspension Help

I recently sold a fifth wheel and the person who bought it insisted on buying the truck also. The problem is I used the truck for the truck camper.
I replaced the truck with a 05 Ram 3500 4x4 – short bed - diesel. The previous owner lifted it (I don’t know how high but looks like 3 or 4 inches) and the truck has 34’’ tires. The truck also came with airbags. The shocks are rancho 5000’s
I have a 2013 Lance 830 truck camper.
Family just got back from 2K mile trip through Colorado Rockies. The TC was great but driving was very unstable. Any slight turn in the road would give A LOT of rocking. Completely deflating the air bags helped, but not much.
I want to keep the lift on the truck. Anyone have suggestions on upgrading the suspension on a modest budget. Rancho 9000s / Sway bar, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150730_160409_TC.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	277.5 KB
ID:	102867  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2015, 11:00 AM   #2

If it doesn't have Torsion bars, they should be installed front and rear. That would help the rocking.

yorgor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 11:37 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
I'm not sure if it does, will check it out this evening. Thank you for the reply!
Old 08-13-2015, 08:54 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
They are on the front but not the rear. I'm not having any luck finding any information about rear torsion bars on-line. I'm not sure they came stock, but what I'm learning is there is noting stock aout the suspension on my truck. the owner before me set the truck up more for looks than for towing.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:04 AM   #5

Check this info out.

Carli Suspension Components and Lift Kit Parts for Dodge Ram 1994-2012

http://www.summitracing.com/search/d...ew=ProductName
yorgor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:08 PM   #6

RS9000s with the dial on the stiffest setting would probably help and adding a rear sway bar would definitely help. I have a similar setup on a ford that is also lifted and just went on my first trip not towing a trailer, surprisingly it is less stable without the trailer then it is with.
Unrelated to your questions but check your tire weight ratings. I recently had a blow out with a 35" tire that was under rated for the campers weight.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:23 PM   #7

Heres my first post. I saw the pic of your rig. Nice! I have a similar setup and also have sway problem. I'll let you know what I end up doing but in the mean time, please check the weight rating on not only your tires but also your rims. Aluminum rims do not work well with all that weight. I was on the freeway and the stress from the sway cracked a rim and blew the tire. Hate to see the same thing happen to you so check it out.
Old 05-20-2016, 05:26 PM   #8

When Ram got modern with it's frame in '03 they used a hydroformed, boxed frame. GM has now done that and in 2017 so will have Ford.This gave them a hugely stiffer frame and it was wider. They figured they didn't need the expense of anti-sway bars on the rear. They were wrong. My TC is an Adventurer 810WS EXT and the truck is unlifted long box '08 3500 I tried thicker bump stops to engage the overloads , Torkit I think , and it helped but wasn't enough. I had already replaced the shocks with 1 3/8 pistoned gas KYBs. I had Ranchos on my last vehicle. The next step was a Big Wig sway bar from Heliwig. That worked. Even empty the sway bar really helps the handling. The ride empty is a little worse from hitting the bump stops.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:56 PM   #9

The bump stops were Stable Loads.
Old 05-21-2016, 11:41 AM   #10

[QUOTE=Downwindtrac;The ride empty is a little worse from hitting the bump stops.[/QUOTE]

Here's a thought for you. When I was setting up the Dodge to haul our camper it took about 2" of main spring flex before the overloads made contact with the part attached to the frame. This caused the rear to be lower than the front. My solution was to fabricate 4 metal blocks from some 2" hitch tubing I just happened to have. To have it match the lower curved surface of the "attached to the frame overload spring contact" I cut one side of the tubing out, reversed it, and welded it back together. There were already holes in the spring contact so I drilled and tapped holes to match in the blocks and attached them to the spring contacts with 1/4" bolts. Now when I haul the camper I put the blocks in and the sag is minimal, but to your comment, when I'm not hauling the camper I take the blocks out and have 2"+ of spring travel before the overloads make contact. I've used that system for 20+ years and IMHO it has provided the best of both worlds.

Steve
Old 05-21-2016, 03:54 PM   #11

I should have made some spacers like you did . I was going hunting that weekend , so it was pick up the Srableloads then over to a spring shop on Thursday to get them installed. It's much easier if it's up on a hoist. I did get a deer. The ride isn't bad, it just that these 1tons rode better than most 1/2 tons.
Old 05-21-2016, 06:23 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for the reply. I wound up going with the stable loads. Haven't got them yet I will post a update once I get them installed and load the camper. Thanks again for the reply and happy camping.
Old 05-23-2016, 06:01 PM   #13

You mentioned that the truck came with air bags. Make sure that there is only enough air pressure to lift the suspension so that the overload springs are still touching the blocks. If the air bags are carrying all the weight, the sway will be terrible. I learned this one by experience. On my system, 60 lbs was too much, 50 lbs was just right.
camr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 06:47 PM   #14

How is your Dodge lifted?
If it's all spring lift on the rear, you will be fighting the sway problem.
The best way to haul a camper with a lifted truck is to use the stock springs & lift it by other means. Shackle flips, blocks, or drop brackets with stock springs will keep your camper from swaying.
I'm running 42" tires on my crew with 8" of lift. I used shackle flips & blocks with stock 4800 lb springs & have practically no sway with the camper. I also run the airbags where about 60% of the weight is off the springs, I find it lets them work better.
Lift springs will eventually sag under constant loading giving a nice, sloppy ride... (wore out a set in a couple seasons)
Click image for larger version

Name:	diesel4.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	131068

I find the biggest prob with a lifted camper hauler is the height thing. Came back once with a birds nest stuck in the fridge vent....have to keep an eye out for power lines, low flying planes.....

Tags
suspension