Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2018, 07:02 PM   #1

Question Sway Bar

Hello Guys!

I'm looking at adding ad on's to my 2011 Chevy Duramax 2500HD Diesel. I'm not sure if a front/rear sway bar is the way to go, or if there is an alternate option that you've liked better. I just recently purchased a 2018 Lance 855S and planning a trip out West towards California on December 26ish. We are towing a Phoenix bass boat (1,850lbs). I've installed airbags and fill them to about 80psi. Im installing Rancho 9000's this upcoming week.

Do you have any experience/advice on sway bar brands? or anything else. Also, if you know of any shops that installs Rancho 9000's and a sway bar in Minnesota, near Minneapolis area. Please let me know!

If you know, of anything else that is a necessity for a truck. When we loaded it up and brought it home from the dealer, there was a bad swaying. It's something I have to get used to, I understand that but I want to make sure I know of anything that you have good experience with.

Warmest Regards,
Maddie
maddieeluu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2018, 12:53 AM   #2

Sway

Anti sway bars are a must in my experience and opinion. I have a very heavy Lance 1181 in a 2006 Chevy dually. Without sway bars it is impossible. I installed Hellwig BigWig, their heaviest, on the back. I replaced the hollow, wimpy factory front sway bar with Hellwig's heaviest front bar. These two combined with the Rancho 9000 s have made it bearable to drive. I have learned to not inflate my air bags too high. Set the Ranchos on the highest setting. Steers better with weight on the so called helper springs. I consider these must-haves for this heavy a rig.

Any decent shop can install the shocks. Do not bother with the Chevy dealer. They will at best confuse the issue. Aside from needing slightly larger tools shocks are an easy job on the GM heavy duties. Same with the Hellwig's. Not really a tough installation. You need to find yourself a decent local shop. Build a relationship with them. It will pay off.
SamBLust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 10:46 AM   #3

Ok! I heard from the Chevy dealership that it isn't even worth getting. It's making me change my mind. Where did you purchase yours and what diameter do you have?
maddieeluu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:28 PM   #4

I ordered one from SDtrucksprings.com because they had a screaming deal on them, but the "black friday" specials ended Nov 30. The Big Wig for the back of my '03 2500 Ram ended up being $308 shipped. Retail is $550, their regular price was $422, the sale was $338 and I got $30 more off for using a special code.

Edit: it seems the "sale" has been extended. They DO NOT stock these bars, but rather order them from Hellwig and have them drop shipped. It won't be until late December before mine is shipped.

The codes are found at the top of this page...... https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/leaf-...SAAEgK0B_D_BwE

If you cannot find the listing, and mine was not listed, find the number on the Hellwig site and search that number on the SDTruck site, it will turn up.

If you are in a hurry and cannot wait, you might try Michigan Truck Spring https://www.truckspring.com/ as their stock will show up on the web site and they do stock a number of the bars.

Co-worker recently bought a 2005 Surburban 2500 with the 8.1 engine. Been searching for a year. Ordered the sway bar from SDTruck and they called him to tell him it was discontinued. He started searching the net and calling and the second call was to Michigan Truck Spring, they had the kit in stock and it is enroute to him. Funny part was that it was cheaper than the SDTruck price.

Charles
Old 12-05-2018, 07:27 AM   #5

I am in the same boat. Just bought my new truck and gearing it up. New GMC dually 4x4 gasser. It came with a front factory sway bar that looks to be very thick (do not know exact diameter). I purchased a rear sway bar thru Hellwig also. I Purchased rear torklift magnum hitch for towing / mounting on the rear. Lastly I purchased upper TorkLift stable loads. Most people are adding both upper and lower Torklift stable loads. I am starting with uppers only. I am personally holding off on airbags for now. But I am going to keep looking for feedback on here also. Also need a few test runs before I make any more changes.
BIGDREAMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 09:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGDREAMS View Post
Just bought my new truck and gearing it up. New GMC dually 4x4 gasser.
It came with a front factory sway bar that looks to be very thick (do not know exact diameter). I purchased a rear sway bar thru Hellwig also. I Purchased rear torklift magnum hitch for towing / mounting on the rear. Lastly I purchased upper TorkLift stable loads.
Most people are adding both upper and lower Torklift stable loads. I am starting with uppers only.

I am personally holding off on airbags for now. But I am going to keep looking for feedback on here also. Also need a few test runs before I make any more changes.
BIGDREAMS, that is one of the most reasonable, level-headed posts I have read in a long time.

Thank you for buying a new dually.
Thank you for using a common sense approach to suspension upgrades.
Thank you for not jumping to 'air-bags' as the universal cure-all to all your woes.

But there is one other thing. . .
Whatever camper you put on your truck, if you dont blow way past your GVWR (and axle ratings), then you wont need much suspension magic (smoke & mirrors) in the first place.

And dont tell anybody here...
...but I run about 600 pounds over my own GVWR.

Congratulations on the new truck, and post a pic please!
Regards,
-Jake-
Electrojake is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sway bar