Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2019, 01:15 AM   #15

The bags are plumbed separately. I can see how that will be an issue. I installed some upper overload spring blocks from Super Sway. We are loading up the camper this week for a trip to Charlotte over MDW without the Jeep. I’ll let you all know how it was. If the sway still sucks I think my next step would be lower overload spring blocks. I like the trailer dolly idea too as that 700 lbs on the hitch is a lot with this heavy of a camper. I wonder how well it backs up?

Any way thanks. You all have been a huge help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	183EEC92-116C-4581-B80E-41664CB5C202.jpeg
Views:	63
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	246489  
Nwatkins176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2019, 03:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwatkins176 View Post
The bags are plumbed separately. I can see how that will be an issue. I installed some upper overload spring blocks from Super Sway. We are loading up the camper this week for a trip to Charlotte over MDW without the Jeep. I’ll let you all know how it was. If the sway still sucks I think my next step would be lower overload spring blocks. I like the trailer dolly idea too as that 700 lbs on the hitch is a lot with this heavy of a camper. I wonder how well it backs up?

Couple of thoughts. Lots of folks flat-tow jeeps, is that doable for you? It would take a lot of weight off the back end. Also if you have to trailer, have you already trying repositioning the Jeep on the trailer to change how much weight is hanging on your trailer tongue?
Mr_Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 03:33 PM   #17

I really don't feel trailering behind the camper is adding to your sway. You need a thick rear stabilizer bar, heavily dampened shocks and sufficient rear spring rate to overcome the top heavy weight you are carrying. Inflating your bags more than 50 PSI will unload the springs and allow for more sway, so you either need to preload your current suspension or add to it if you have too much sag.
Old 05-19-2019, 05:13 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:

Old 05-20-2019, 10:45 AM   #19

I see! It stays rigid with the Tow vehicle, I like it.

The overload blocks worked great. Thanks everyone for pointing me in the right direction. I went and picked up the camper, but forgot to fill my air bags so the weight rode on the overload springs the whole way home. If it rides that good level with air in the bags I will be really happy.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:53 PM   #20

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
I see! It stays rigid with the Tow vehicle, I like it.

The overload blocks worked great. Thanks everyone for pointing me in the right direction. I went and picked up the camper, but forgot to fill my air bags so the weight rode on the overload springs the whole way home. If it rides that good level with air in the bags I will be really happy.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:56 PM   #21

Went on a 1000 mile round trip, very heavy but no jeep. Had 4 people, gear and water on board. The blocks make 100% difference. Sway was still there a little but very controlled. Thank you again, saved me lots of issues.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:14 PM   #22

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Went on a 1000 mile round trip, very heavy but no jeep. Had 4 people, gear and water on board. The blocks make 100% difference. Sway was still there a little but very controlled. Thank you again, saved me lots of issues.
Right on! Glad to hear it worked out. Depending on weight of each trip, just fiddle with bag pressure.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:12 PM   #23

sway issues

I have a 2018 dodge ram 2500 4 wheel drive when I put a 2019 palomino truck camper on it I get a bad sway problem at 50 mph. can any one help or have an idea as how I can get this problem fixed? I have called several dealers in the area, their best answer is "I don't know"

Thanks

Ron59
ron59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 03:55 PM   #24

The 2500 Ram uses rear coils which makes the problem harder to resolve. You need the thickest front and rear stabilizer bars (probably BigWig) and Timbren or Sumo springs on the rear. Heavier dampened shocks will help a little, but I wouldn’t swap those out until you do the first two upgrades. Make sure you are running maximum sidewall tire pressure when you are carrying the camper - This will reduce tire flex adding to your sway.