Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:46 AM   #1

TCs on flatbed goosenecks

Have you done this or know somebody who has? Im thinking of doing it for several reasons and would like to contact folks that have already done it to help me make it an easier process.

I know TCM has had at least 2 different articles on folks that have done this and Ill be checking that out, but I also thought that maybe some of you good folks have some insight about this RV combination. Now before any of you say just buy a 5th-wheel, that has already been considered and rejected. Ive already owned five 5th-wheel trailers so I understand the concept. The truck camper, for me, will be a better choice.

So, with that said, if youve done this yourself, Id be very interested in talking to you about the process. Thanks.

Life is good!

dubob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2014, 10:18 AM   #2

You don't have to limit yourself to a TC. Look at TT's too.

Old 09-06-2014, 04:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman-az View Post
You don't have to limit yourself to a TC. Look at TT's too.
Reading back over my original post, I can see where you might be confused. I already have the TC. Its size is about right for what I do with it. The reason for wanting to put it on a goose neck trailer is for the much easier set-up and tear-down at the campsite, take the weight off the truck (I'm over the GVWR), and still be able to pull my boat - safely - behind the trailer (not possible with a TT).
Old 09-07-2014, 02:11 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
I have seen them on the highway, and even considered placing a TC on a gooseneck for our use. The biggest problem that I am aware of will be loading and unloading. TC jacks even with the dually extensions won't clear the 104 inch width of many trailers. I think the ones on my Lance extended as far as they go are about 96 inches. Maybe it could be loaded with a big forklift, a crane, or a winch? Or three track jacks? Or it could be supported with steel beams side to side, lowering it down to the trailer floor once the trailer is backed into place? I own three trailers and all of them are 104-106 inches wide. I have a 12 foot hydraulic dump trailer that I was thinking might be a good way to store the camper in the winter. Load it on the trailer, and back it under a pole barn. Again the trailer is too wide to clear the TC jacks. Same thing with an open 18 foot car trailer. I will be interested to see your solution for the loading issue. Another issue is the holding tank. On our Lance the holding tank is mounted under the overhang, which is 2 feet on our (model 1010) 10 footer. The camper will have to sit on a pallet of some sort to have enough clearance not to sit on the holding tank.
Old 09-07-2014, 10:02 AM   #5

All good points gcsprayjr. The trailer will be custom built specifically for the TC. It will be sitting on a raised platform built into the trailer bed that will put the bottom of the rear overhang level with the trailer bed. A cutout will be provided for the waste water connection underneath and plumbing will be attached to permanently route it to the outside edge of the trailer bed. And the generator exhaust will also have to be routed down through the trailer bed and away from the TC. As for the loading/unloading, the TC will more than likely be put on the trailer with a fork lift initially and then left on the trailer permanently. I see no need to ever take it off the trailer once it is put on. If some repair to the underside is required in the future, most major repair/dealer service departments have fork lifts available to remove it from the trailer and reinstall it. I'm essentially turning my TC into a unit that handles like a 5th-wheel and will allow the safe towing of my boat trailer and will allow the use of a 3/4 ton truck to pull it with no stability problems associated with carrying the weight of a truck camper in the bed of the truck.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:39 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi Bob, Are you going to haul your boat/boat trailer on the gooseneck or double tow the boat behind the gooseneck? Either way, it makes sense. We used to tow a boat behind a 5th wheel. In the southeast most states have made double towing illegal. I had considered purchasing a 40 foot gooseneck car hauler, haul an Airstream Bambi 16-18 foot TT on it and our 22 foot boat. We also do car shows with a couple of old Trans AM's, and I could haul those on the trailer when needed. The idea was to unload the boat and trailer at the campground, then unload the TT and put it on the site as usual. The boat could be handled on its trailer, and the gooseneck would have to be stored somewhere while camping. We camp every year at Lake Martin in Alabama. The state park there has a huge RV storage lot where the gooseneck could sit. Other places we go don't have extra parking, so it will not work well everywhere. Charles
Old 09-08-2014, 08:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcsprayjr View Post
Hi Bob, Are you going to haul your boat/boat trailer on the gooseneck or double tow the boat behind the gooseneck? Either way, it makes sense. We used to tow a boat behind a 5th wheel. In the southeast most states have made double towing illegal. I had considered purchasing a 40 foot gooseneck car hauler, haul an Airstream Bambi 16-18 foot TT on it and our 22 foot boat. We also do car shows with a couple of old Trans AM's, and I could haul those on the trailer when needed. The idea was to unload the boat and trailer at the campground, then unload the TT and put it on the site as usual. The boat could be handled on its trailer, and the gooseneck would have to be stored somewhere while camping. We camp every year at Lake Martin in Alabama. The state park there has a huge RV storage lot where the gooseneck could sit. Other places we go don't have extra parking, so it will not work well everywhere. Charles
Double tow - mostly legal out West. Did you consider just leaving the Bambi on the goose neck trailer to use it instead of off-loading it?
Old 09-09-2014, 06:09 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
The wife will never agree to climb up on the gooseneck to climb into the TT. This was just a passing idea. We decided on at TC. Since we have an F-350 CC dually 4x4, hauling a TC and towing is not a problem.

It sounds like you are planning to double tow?

Backing can be done for short distances, but is no fun.

When we double towed, I installed electric brakes on the boat trailer. It took two brake controllers to make it work correctly, so we double wired the truck with two seven wire plugs. The 5th wheel had essentially a seven wire extension cord to provide power to the boat trailer. I installed a four wire plug on the boat with a jumper inside, so we could charge the boat batteries while in transit. It also allowed the boat batteries to power the break-away switch for the brakes. Electric brakes work great with a fresh water boat, but are not suitable for a salt water boat. If your boat is a salt water rig, I would install surge brakes rated for salt water use.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:06 AM   #9

I will indeed be double towing. And my boat trailer has surge brakes. And I have no need to charge the boat batteries while towing. Back-ups while double towing will probably be measured in inches, if at all. I'm going to order the trailer today. Should be completed by the first week in October. The goose neck trailer will have electric brakes.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:55 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
It sounds like you will be good to go!

There is a definite advantage to having electric brakes over surge brakes. That might be an upgrade you may want to consider. You have full control of electric brakes, and can they be used to correct dangerous sway.

Electric Trailer Brake Upgrade. | Trailering and Towing | BoatingABC.com

The link above is a conversion I did from surge brakes to electric brakes on our 22 foot Mach I. The site is Boating ABC.

Charles