Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:31 AM   #1

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thoughts on a Truck Camper

Hi all - we have a Class C for the family as my profile shows but I'm thinking of getting a TC for hunting/fishing/short getaways (2-3 days at most).

Problem is I have a 4WD F150 Supercrew (heavy duty tow package which I guess is irrelevant) with a 5.5 bed so I am limited to things like the small palominos and other pop-ups. I want to stay under 1000 pounds for the TC. Payload is 1570. Trips will be limited to 2 hour radius.

All I need is the basics - but I do want some type of facilities - prefer a toilet but maybe a cassette toilet will work (done my years with the porta-potty). The wife will insist on an enclosed place to go to the bathroom.

so.....any ideas of a lightweight (pop-up is fine) TC that fits a 5.5 bed with an enclosed head?

I have looked at Hallmarkrv, palomino, Northstar, Sunlite, livinlite, real lite, etc. I really want advice from this who have dome some similar digging or who have a pop-up on a 5.5.

Thanks in advance!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2014, 09:06 AM   #2

You didn't mention Four Wheel Pop-up Campers, and their Raven model would be perfect for your truck at 850 pounds of base weight. However, the only toilet option with that model is a Porta Potti. You can see it here

dubob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:39 AM   #3

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
TC List

Thanks - I have looked briefly at them but will check them out some more.

A lot of these pop-ups have great base process but then you can add 5,000 I'm finding for things I consider standard (fans, 3-way fridge, etc.)
Old 04-11-2014, 06:00 PM   #4

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
As a follow up I checked my official payload - 1700

I have the short wheel base (145) so I think I'll throw out another thread on wheelbase and payload. The 157 wheel base was a few hundred pounds less