Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2018, 08:03 PM   #1

Too much truck?

I’m in the market for a new pickup truck. I don’t have a TC but would like one in the future. I suspect that I’ll end up with TC on the large side. Other than expense, fuel mileage, ride, and those things associated with the drivability of a big truck, is there any downside to just jumping into a one ton Duelly? I live up north in the snow country and would like to stay with a 4wd, want the extended or crew cab (for the dog), 8ft bed, maybe flatbed or chassis rig. I know people say buy the camper then fit the truck to it but I’d like to get the truck bought and payed for before springing for the cost of the camper, and my 2015 Chevy 1/2 ton is due to be replaced soon. So would it be a mistake to buy a 1 ton, can a truck be too big?
High Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2018, 08:49 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
You can't have too much truck, a dually is much better for toting a truck camper, especially a bigger one. I have a Lance 975 on a Dodge dually & it handles it nicely.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Octane View Post
I’m in the market for a new pickup truck.
So would it be a mistake to buy a 1 ton, can a truck be too big?
Exactly what Red Rocker said in his post above.
I have a RAM 3500 SRW. It's registered at 12,300 pounds and my little Northstar Arrow-U has me pushing 12,000 Lb at the CAT Scale!

You cant have too much truck for a truck-camper setup, especially if your looking for something on the larger side.

Go with the Dually 4x4.
Regards,
-Ej-
Electrojake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:36 AM   #4

Thanks fellers.
High Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:48 AM   #5

As you can see from my post I have a 18000 lb trailer empty that I pull with a Volvo truck. I would not get a new truck until you get an idea of what weight of camper you are looking at. As they say it is better to have too much truck and not need it than need it and not have it. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
dadej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadej View Post
As you can see from my post I have a 18000 lb trailer empty that I pull with a Volvo truck. I would not get a new truck until you get an idea of what weight of camper you are looking at. As they say it is better to have too much truck and not need it than need it and not have it. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Probably hard to get a slide in camper matched up with a Class 7 truck!

+1 on the dually especially if you want to tow toys.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:03 AM   #7

One more thing: you'll adapt to driving it quickly. Parking is a pain but no more so than with a SRW truck.

The ride is terrible unloaded but so is a SRW truck: they drive like trucks.

Get the higher (smaller number) gears if you can since you won't need a 40000 lb GCWR.

Don't fear the Dually!
Old 02-19-2018, 02:01 PM   #8

I have owned a GM dually since 1995
All except the 2015 have been extended cabs with long bed
1995 Gas 2000 Gas
2001 Diesel 2008 Diesel
And now 2015 double cab Diesel
You get use to the truck and they tow/carry great
Wife has driven it she says everybody get out of her way
Wouldn't be without one
08Carriage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 03:44 PM   #9

You can have too much truck. My Ram 5500 was pretty stiff when hauling my 2-ton Arctic Fox even if I hung another 1000 lbs of tongue weight on the back. With my 3-ton Host, the ride is much better. If you are looking at single slide campers, budget about 4000-5000 lbs for the camper when it is filled and stocked. Add any possible tongue weight from things you may tow and then you can shop for the appropriate sized truck.
Old 02-25-2018, 05:52 PM   #10

A 1 ton dually is not too much truck for a camper. Check some wet weights of campers and payload capacities. A 1 ton 4 door long bed will be difficult to find with a diesel to have the payload to carry a 9 ft camper, full of water and camping gear and 2 or 3 people.

Bear in mind published weights of campers are before options, batteries, and water.
Chriswar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 06:49 PM   #11

Depending on how "large" a TC you get even a dually may not be enough truck. Diesel engine and 4wd along with lots of passengers can really eat up hauling capacity. Some of the large triple slide campers are heavy enough that you need to move to a 4500 or 5500 truck with either a custom bed or a flatbed.
Iv'e been driving a Chevy dually for 13 years. I have no complaints.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:09 PM   #12

Most of the campers will work on a DRW 3500/F350 going by axle ratings, but you may have no reserve left to tow anything. This where the bigger trucks shine. Mine is loaded to 18,000 lbs once camper, gear and trailer are loaded. If you go by class 3 GVWR, you're limited to your camper choices.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:25 PM   #13

truck.

Quote:
I’m in the market for a new pickup truck. I don’t have a TC but would like one in the future. I suspect that I’ll end up with TC on the large side. Other than expense, fuel mileage, ride, and those things associated with the drivability of a big truck, is there any downside to just jumping into a one ton Duelly? I live up north in the snow country and would like to stay with a 4wd, want the extended or crew cab (for the dog), 8ft bed, maybe flatbed or chassis rig. I know people say buy the camper then fit the truck to it but I’d like to get the truck bought and payed for before springing for the cost of the camper, and my 2015 Chevy 1/2 ton is due to be replaced soon. So would it be a mistake to buy a 1 ton, can a truck be too big?
hello . I switched from a 1/2 ton to a one ton crew cab 4x4 dually. my camper weighs 1600 lbs. I have plenty of payload to spare. I was worried about over weight in the 1/2 ton. I did an up grade. I was worried about stopping power. no problem with the dually.
tomdukebo53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 07:32 PM   #14

Quote:
You can have too much truck. The reason why you don't read people posting about it is because they would be admitting they made a mistake!

Downside:
Finding a parking space on the street while exploring.

Gas mileage

Cost of Mtc

Higher purchase price

Not fun as a daily driver (not towing)

Find your trailer, then buy the pick up.

I bought a 2500 because I'm full timing.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote