Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-07-2014, 02:30 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Tork Lift Super Truss

Anyone here using a Tork Lift hitch system? Back in the old days we took a length of heavy gauge steel 2 inch square tube, welded up some home made frame brackets on it, bolted to the frame with the ends extending beyond the bed. Place a couple of welded I bolts in each end, purchase some turnbuckles and chains, and you had your frame mounted tie downs. The rear was usually connected to an I bolt mounted on the rear bumper. When I made the decision to purchase our used Lance 1010, one of the reasons for choosing a TC is so that we can also tow our 22 foot Mach 1 sport boat, or our enclosed car trailer. We haul one at a time, two vintage original low mileage Trans AM's that we take to car shows. I have installed a Tork Lift 20K hitch with the Tork Lift frame mounted tie downs. I have ordered a 36 inch Super Truss hitch extension so that we can tow our trailers with the TC loaded. Does anyone have experience with this system. From what I have seen so far, it is very impressive. Charles

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2014, 03:03 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I used a SuperHitch and 28" SuperTruss for about 8 years towing my 28' race car trailer behind a 2003 Dodge dually with an Arctic Fox 990 camper. The whole setup towed nicely and with the extension my trailer actually swung wider to make tight turns easier.

You absolutely need a weight distribution hitch with this kind of setup.

fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 05:40 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thanks for the info and heads up.

I am going to use a Reese adjustable ball mount weight distributing hitch with 750lb bars and a dual cam sway control. This is the system I have been using for many years and it does a good job.

Tork Lift sells their version also, but says that their hitch is compatible with other brands.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:12 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Yeah, the Torklift weight dist. hitch is VERY expensive. The one you have now is a good hitch but I think the spring bars might be too light for your whole combination. If so they can be upgraded to a heavier bar.
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 01:37 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thanks for you input Fastcat! I have a set of Reese 1000 lb bars, and if needed, will change to them for the race car trailer. Towing with just the dually, the 1000 lb bars are too stiff. The 750 bars are loaded slightly as the truck does not have much give in the suspension. Once I tried to load the bars a little and the truck would spin the rear tires on wet pavement. I let most of the tension off, and let the truck carry some of the weight. it does better that way. The Lance 1010 camper by itself does not set the truck on the overloads. The camper weighs 2532 dry. The 36 inch extension will change everything. No bars have been needed for the boat, however I also have a set of 550 lb bars that I can use with it. The race car trailer has a 700 lb tongue weight, give or take, depending on where the car is loaded inside of the trailer. I usually load the car straddling the axles, and haul tools and a big tent in the front of the trailer. It balances out with a gross weight of 7K. It has a 7500 GVW, so it is loaded, but not overloaded. The boat has a 450 lb tongue weight with a 4500 lb gross. The 36 inch Super Truss extension arrived on Wednesday. When I get off from work I have to go to daily radiation treatments. When I get home, I plan to install the Super Truss extension, load the camper, and connect the trailer. I am anxious to see how it looks all connected up and ready to pull out. Ironically our first trip out with this set-up will be right through the heart of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. We live on the southern side, and the hot rod show is in Pigeon Forge, on the northern side of the park. So we will be climbing from 1700 feet about sea level at Cherokee to 5600 feet at Newfound Gap. PF is at 900 feet. Charles
Old 09-15-2014, 06:17 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fastcat, you were right on target! Thanks for your observations and input.

The 750 LB bars were way too light! The unit bowed the bars severely and almost sat on the ground. I changed out to the 1000 bars, but left off the dual cam sway control. The unit come up some but still does not sit level. I have ordered a set of tork lift stable lifts that make the overloads work sooner, so we will see what difference that makes?

The good part is that the unit tows great and handles fine. No sway at all, and it corners well for something so top heavy. The hitch works great.

I need to invest in a turbo brake or something similar as the grades in the national park give the brakes a work out even using the lower gears in the manual trans.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:35 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Here she is with the 1000 Lb bars. https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.ph...type=1&theater