Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-09-2007, 07:48 AM   #1

I have purchased 9 1/2 foot camper to go on 93 Dodge dually long bed. Am trying to find Torqlift to fit. I am told that they do not make Torqlift to fit this year.Am told dealer will install "belly bar" but I don't want to have bar in way of clearance and mostly appearance..Has anyone had experience with this installation..Are there any solutions besides the belly bar installed this way..Seems a person could solve this by taking two pieces of square tubing and welding plate on one end of each and drill holes where needed and proceed from there.I was sure I read in Torqlift specs that they do make one for this year truck. Heip!! all info. greatly appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2007, 07:48 AM   #2

I have purchased 9 1/2 foot camper to go on 93 Dodge dually long bed. Am trying to find Torqlift to fit. I am told that they do not make Torqlift to fit this year.Am told dealer will install "belly bar" but I don't want to have bar in way of clearance and mostly appearance..Has anyone had experience with this installation..Are there any solutions besides the belly bar installed this way..Seems a person could solve this by taking two pieces of square tubing and welding plate on one end of each and drill holes where needed and proceed from there.I was sure I read in Torqlift specs that they do make one for this year truck. Heip!! all info. greatly appreciated.

Old 07-10-2007, 05:04 AM   #3

I'd be surprised if they didn't make a system for your truck. Have you tried contacting them directly? Go to www.torklift.com for contact info. Their phone number off the web site is 1-800-246-8132 .

Harald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 12:41 PM   #4

Harald thanks for help. I welded up 2 cube type spacers (as you suggested) they work just fine.I saved at least 152.00. Dealer wanted 167.00 (I paid 12.00 for 6"x4" pieces of metal) That's # 1 problem you helped with. #2 I did as you suggested and called factory on 800 # you gave me and they assured me that Torklifts were available for my 93 Dodge Dually. Dealer has ordered them(after telling me they weren't available) and will install them when they arrive..I was afraid I was going to have to put "belly bar" on and lose some clearance. I really appreciate this help..If not for your suggestions I would have had to just accept the tie down application dealer suggested..

Thanks again,
Old 01-09-2008, 02:21 PM   #5

Has anyone had problems with TorkLift and frame damage? Has anyone heard of any damage? I have had trouble with twisting my frame. I have a 2004 Silverado 2500HD and I have a 3500# Aspenlite camper.
Has anyone had trouble with damage to the camper tie-down eye? The Tork Lift seems to allow a lot of play eventhough I tighten up the turnbuckles there is popping and banging when I go over uneven ground. Help.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:18 AM   #6

Silverado_55

I have been using torklift for 9 years (Bigfoot 3000 camper, f350 dually), made several trips back and forth across the USA. Never any problems...in fact on a few trips I never needed to make any adjustment (tighten the turnbuckle). The system is extremely stable in my experiences.

On popping and banging. This happened when I first installed hellwig helper springs on the rear....I then removed them, added Firestone air springs (also called air bags) and rancho 9000 shocks. All the banging stopped. The air springs provided a very convient way to level the truck-camper unit. Owing to the weight of the camper, a sage in the unit resulted. But after I installed the air bags, I was able to level the unit, and it was smooth sailing ever since.

On frame twisting; I have not observed. However, at times (over large bumps) I get the feeling that there is some longitudinal flexing in the f350 frame...this is just a hunch as I have know way of observing/measuring it directly,

HEMI
Old 01-10-2008, 09:38 PM   #7

I have a silverado 3500 dually with a 3700 ib camper & torklifts. No problems. Are you using chains. If so, i woudl suggest you invest in a set of fast guns. You may have your tie downs too tight.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:37 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Silverado_55:
Has anyone had problems with Torklift and frame damage? Has anyone heard of any damage? I have had trouble with twisting my frame. I have a 2004 Silverado 2500HD and I have a 3500# Aspenlite camper.
Has anyone had trouble with damage to the camper tie-down eye? The Tork Lift seems to allow a lot of play eventhough I tighten up the turnbuckles there is popping and banging when I go over uneven ground. Help. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you using the Torklift springs? You must use something that has some give. If you don't you can damage the eyes. Many thousands of miles with my Torklift's and no problems what so ever. Love my Fastguns too.

I have never heard of any frame damage, either on forums or personally.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:51 PM   #9

Hello Arlo Smith & Others

I am currently researching TC tie downs myself and was just curious of final outcome of this Forum Thread

Did you purchase TorkLift or HappiJac ?

Are you happy with purchase ?

How are they working out ?

I purchased a Used TC and requesting feedback from all sources Prior to my final selection / purchase

Return web forum messages are most appreciated in advance ...

Thanks to all

John from Colfax NC
Old 01-20-2008, 01:54 PM   #10

I missed adding a statement that per my search to date have located best pricing for TorkLift TC tie down system from following web link www.tweetys.com
Old 02-01-2008, 10:43 AM   #11

I have early Torklift tie-downs that didn't come with the spring loaded ends. I use Happijac spring loaded turnbuckles so that there's some play in the tie-down system.

I've had my truck with camper on extremely rugged roads (gravel, pot holes, washboard, wash-outs, etc) and I haven't bent anything. But then again this is a Ford which is built tough. I can't speak for Chevy frames.

Harald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 05:26 AM   #12

I had torklift, Kent Wash, install our tie-downs in 1999; never a bit of problem on many trips from FL to westcoast and back. The torklifts are the old style (small spring in the bottom cyl). On the rear I use the happijac turnbuckles, on the front I use ace hardware turbuckles. HEMI