Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2014, 05:47 AM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Camper off the truck

That is one of the benefits of owning a truck camper. Taking it off truck and having a vehicle to travel around in. I lower mine as far as I can to ground after removal. Additionally, I have adjustable supports that go on the ground near the front jacks to support camper and keep it from rocking. The front jacks are secured at the top only and rocking would loosen mounting bolts etc and cause an unsafe or failure down the road. Back Jacks have additional support to lower bumber on my unit.

Loading and unloading in not a race and as a matter of fact dangerous if you are not careful. I take my time at loading as the cargo box clearance is really tight on each side. So, their is only one and I mean one position of camper in bed.

I have a heavy Lance 861/side slide out on a GMC 2500HD Duramax 4X4 crew cab. I added air bags, hellwig rear anti sway bar [a must need] and Rancho adjustable shocks all around.

You have to see what is your load capacity of the truck is and that will determine the size of camper you can have. I've seen way too many people put the wrong campers on and either broke their rear axle or worst were too top heavy. I have the 6' 6" cargo bed that limited my camper selection also.

I would suggest you reasearch on Truck Camper Magazine | Truck Campers Go Anywhere to get fully educated on this type of recreation.

I use both a motor home and truck camper for each type of destination and accessability. I am really hooked on Beach camping on Carolina Beach, NC. We get about 6 -12 of us to stay there with back entrance towards water.....way up from high tide mark too! Plus you will need a 4X4 chassis also. I attached a few pictures of mine on that beach. I have a built in generator that is noisy and the exhaust comes out in the back seating area. I have found the Honda 3000i Handi very quiet and economical to run, besides being only @ 70+ lbs.

It's really a fun adventure if you outfit and do it right!

Good Luck
Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	253744_10200122281914392_1439856389_n.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	75180   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1080.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	187.0 KB
ID:	75181  

Name:	DSCN1088.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	261.6 KB
ID:	75182   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1089.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	194.7 KB
ID:	75183  

Name:	IMG_0021.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	296.2 KB
ID:	75185  
Don Voyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2014, 03:06 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Voyage View Post
That is one of the benefits of owning a truck camper. Taking it off truck and having a vehicle to travel around in. I lower mine as far as I can to ground after removal. Additionally, I have adjustable supports that go on the ground near the front jacks to support camper and keep it from rocking. The front jacks are secured at the top only and rocking would loosen mounting bolts etc and cause an unsafe or failure down the road. Back Jacks have additional support to lower bumber on my unit.

Loading and unloading in not a race and as a matter of fact dangerous if you are not careful. I take my time at loading as the cargo box clearance is really tight on each side. So, their is only one and I mean one position of camper in bed.

I have a heavy Lance 861/side slide out on a GMC 2500HD Duramax 4X4 crew cab. I added air bags, hellwig rear anti sway bar [a must need] and Rancho adjustable shocks all around.

You have to see what is your load capacity of the truck is and that will determine the size of camper you can have. I've seen way too many people put the wrong campers on and either broke their rear axle or worst were too top heavy. I have the 6' 6" cargo bed that limited my camper selection also.

I would suggest you reasearch on Truck Camper Magazine | Truck Campers Go Anywhere to get fully educated on this type of recreation.

I use both a motor home and truck camper for each type of destination and accessability. I am really hooked on Beach camping on Carolina Beach, NC. We get about 6 -12 of us to stay there with back entrance towards water.....way up from high tide mark too! Plus you will need a 4X4 chassis also. I attached a few pictures of mine on that beach. I have a built in generator that is noisy and the exhaust comes out in the back seating area. I have found the Honda 3000i Handi very quiet and economical to run, besides being only @ 70+ lbs.

It's really a fun adventure if you outfit and do it right!

Good Luck
Don
Great looking setup!! Thanks for the info. I'm in the middle of used truck research right now - leaning F350 but unsure at this point (or 3500hd)

Love that rig of a genset on the front you have there!
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 04:39 AM   #17

Thor Owners Club
Go with the heaviest Truck

I would suggest you go with the heaviest carrying capacity you can get.
The HD models have more beefier suspension, frame and brakes. Shy away from the ones non-HD that have the snow plow package also. The snow plow package aims at additional enhancements to the front of truck only.

Also, The Ford 7.3 diesel in used is a better choice over the 6.0 or 6.4's who were and are plagued with problems. Fords new 6.7 has been successful so far I hear. My Duramax is made by Isuzu and is just great.
The aftermarket tuners to allow you to take the engine beyound manufacturer set rates is one of personnal choice. I don't use one with mine as I have seen way too many blown head gaskets from using the high performance mode setting on these units. Ram's Cummins are great engines, but their transmissions don't hold up except for the lastest years as I hear they have a "generic" allision tranny in them. They are real nice choice too.

Dually vs. Single wheel? I have a single wheel with my set-up. But have the new Michelins load rate "E"'s at 80 psi all around with camper on. 65 psi with camper off. Dully's afford a more stable ride and increased carrying capacity.
I use the truck a lot with camper off and preferred the single wheel. It's a personnal choice.

DEF[diesel exhaust FLuid] vs pre DEF. My 2008 Duramax is pre-DEF. My Passat and motor home uses DEF. It can be purchased at the truck stop pumps, not the car pumps. The price at the truck pumps is just about half price campared to buying in the 2.5 gallon box.
All diesels regenerate to clean out the soot that is accumulated in the exhaust filter. Pre-DEF units use Diesel fuel to accomplish this vs the newer ones with the DEF. I have had a change of opinion concerning this pre vs current. !- DEF is much cheaper to use than diesel and engine uses less def. 2- Engines with DEF have had a 60% removal of their smog equipment which yielded more horsepower/torque and better mileage [mpg's]. You also don't use that much driving down the road. Safe to guess a gallon per every 1000-1500 miles.

Lastly, make sure you get one with a rear axle ratio of 3.73 or higher. If you get a 4.11 you can count on not getting over 10 miles to the gallon with the camper on and 13-14 with it off. Mine has the 3.73 with the standard overdrive Allison transmission. With camper on I get 12-14 mpg's and 20-22 with it off driving around 65 mph. I have been all over the USA and never had a lack of power in the mountains or back roads.

I have out of convienance replaced my stock 26 gallon tank with one from Titan with 52.5 gallon capacity. The additional off road skid plate option for tank is good to protect tank since it hangs a couple of inches lower on truck. Off road damage is limited but the road crap that kicks up is just as damaging. Plus you get to fill up with cheaper diesel in other states.

Getting your truck first in the heaviest configuation and power is the first step. Then look for a capadable truck camper that will fit and be safely carried.

Good luck in your search.....but remember it will be worth it!!!!
Don
Don Voyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 04:44 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thanks for the advice... I also ponder over gas vs diesel
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing