Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-22-2010, 05:50 PM   #1

Towing with camper

I tow an 18' open car trailer, maybe 6000lbs. I was wondering if anyone else tows similar to this and if you use a weight distributing hitch. I don't have one and was wondering if would help with the proposing and if it would pick the back end of the truck up a little? Also which hitch do you recommend. It tows fine, just a little bouncy. I have a 990 Arctic Fox and 96 DRW Dodge.

Kevin

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2010, 11:48 PM   #2
CD

BlueHaven
We sometimes tow our 28' TT or an equipment traler with the 8 1/2' camper. I use the WD bars. If your camper extends beyond the rear bumper (which I suspect it does) you will need an extention bar for your hitch. I have a short one (about 12") that I can use if I need to make short turns getting into or out of camp grounds. I don't use it for traveling. I know some do (even longer than that) but it's not for me.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:36 AM   #3

I have the superhitch with a 28" extension and air bags, it will porpoise a little and was wondering if a WD hitch would help with that.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:58 PM   #4

We use the superhitch and like all other truck campers we are overweight. We tow a 6x14 box trailer and i would only use the equalizer hitch made in Utah. With my combination I now get a good ride and weight is distributed evenly. The trailer and the hitch made my unit complete. My ride is better and even the gas mileage increased. My only problem now is wind turbulance between truck and camper.
Onlydigger
Old 12-12-2010, 01:19 PM   #5

I had a 24' flatbed that I used to tow two Suzuki Samurais on. Here is how my setup looked. I also have Timbren overloads. It was very stable considering how tail heavy this was. I no longer own the Samurais or trailer.

Parts Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 01:58 PM   #6
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlydigger View Post
We use the superhitch and like all other truck campers we are overweight. We tow a 6x14 box trailer and i would only use the equalizer hitch made in Utah. With my combination I now get a good ride and weight is distributed evenly. The trailer and the hitch made my unit complete. My ride is better and even the gas mileage increased. My only problem now is wind turbulance between truck and camper.
Onlydigger
Not ALL truck campers are overweight. Our is not, even when we also tow the 28' TT.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:13 PM   #7

Triple E Owners Club
We pull a motorcycle in this trailer.

Old 05-07-2011, 10:16 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This one tows great!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Levenworth 09 (27).JPG