Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2018, 08:48 AM   #1

Truck Camper on a Hauler Bed?

Is anyone out there hauling a truck camper with a hauler bed like the one in the picthre. I have a Lance 1181 and it's time to upgrade to a newer truck. I'm looking at 06 - 11 F450 or 550 used trucks. A lot of them have either a flat bed or a hauler bed on them. I'm wondering about things like Tork Lift tie downs and the Super Truss hitch. I also have a 36' 5th wheel that we take on longer trips so this kind of bed would be great for that. I would love to be able to use both.

ChallengerRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2018, 10:11 AM   #2

I use a flat bed deck with utility boxes filling out the gaps above and bellow the deck. My deck has a gooseneck for future towing needs but currently carries a Host Mammoth. I use a SuperHitch and SuperTruss off the rear to tow an 8 k LB enclosed trailer. Your rear skirt on the bed may need to be cut back to fit the large Torklift receiver.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:23 AM   #3

What are you using for camper tie downs? Do you tie directly to the flat bed or do you still use something like Tork Lift frame mounts?
Old 09-05-2018, 10:37 AM   #4

I use the shorter FastGuns to the stake pockets of the bed since they are welded in between the deck and rub rails. The hauler bed example is harder to use: That rear angled drop is not camper friendly, the front tool box has to go and you will need frame tie downs under that narrower bed for anchor points.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:49 PM   #5

I'd take the flat bed any day. I have a one on my '05 Chevy dually. I carried a Fleetwood 11x TC on it. I had rings installed in the 4 corners of the bed and just used 4 Happijack turnbuckles to tie the camper down to the rings in the bed. I have tool boxes above and below the flatbed and a SuperHitch on the back of the truck. It all worked out well with plenty of storage. The top boxes could be unbolted and re-positioned if I ever get a camper that is a bit different in dimensions.
I've looked at the hauler beds but they have a significant lack of storage compared to big square tool boxes on a flatbed. Also, the headache rack would likely interfere with the front of the camper, so too the diamond plate box in the front on your picture.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:12 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies. You have confirmed what I was thinking. If I end up with a tow bed I bet I could pull it off and sell it for enough to get a basic flat bed. When going to a flat bed do you recommend to stay with an 8' on or go a little longer and slide the camper back a foot or 2 to give room for spare tires and storage on the front of the bed. My Lance 1181 hangs down behind my truck and covers the rear bumper so if I went with a 9 or 10' bed I would have no choice but to have the extra space up front.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:47 PM   #7

A 60” CA 4500 or 5500 chassis cab will require a 9’ or 10’ deck to clear the fuel tank aft of the axle. It’s better to try to get as much of the camper forward as possible for better CG rather than try hanging all of the camper weight behind the rear axle and unloading the front. I can carry almost 9’ of my Host on the deck before hitting an obstruction - You may be able to do the same on your Lance. When I had s short bed Arctic Fox on the deck, I was able to get 7.5’ on the deck and attach the spare tire to the headache rack. Now, I have the spare mounted on the receivers extension.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:26 PM   #8

Do you have any pictures showing the height of your headache rack? I had a customer who we had to build up a base for his Eagle Cap 1160 to overcome the headache rack.
RVandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 01:08 PM   #9

Both my Host and Arctic Fox truck campers had 4’ of clearance under the cab over. My headache rack is about 3.5’ tall and 7.5’ wide.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:09 AM   #10