Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-04-2015, 02:04 PM   #1

Truck Camper Restoration Project - Part 3

On April 9th I started to remove the windows from the camper. The reason for the leakage was obvious, a non-durable foam tape had been used as the means of sealing the window within the opening. Alas, the previous owner had not opted to remove the windows and apply a better sealing solution, but instead applied silicone caulk around the entire frame of the windows. Not to be too pointed about this, but caulking the underside of a window frame like that leads me to believe that said previous owner was in that "Einstein" category of folks. I'm sure it seemed like a good idea, but trapping the water in the bottom of the window frame was a time-delayed recipe for disaster.

Scraping old window sealant off the window frames and old silicone caulk off the walls of the camper had my fun meter pretty much pegged on zero. Finding suitable solvents to remove the residues of these sealants took some experimentation. In the end I think that I used 90% isopropyl alcohol on the window foam and acetone on the silicone caulk.

While common wisdom has it that the Fibercore construction used in the older Bigfoots is impervious to water infiltration, I'm here to say that it just ain't so. Beneath the gelcoat fiberglass skin is a layer of marine plywood that can and will soak up water and de-laminate if given the right conditions. Due to the caulk under the windows, my camper had those conditions and I had to inject adhesive into the voids and clamp the walls of the camper around the windows in order to bond everything back together again.

I opted to use Eternabond to seal up the window frames. Yes, I know that there will be penance to be done if they ever have to be removed again, but I wanted a sealant that would last. Folks think that butyl lasts forever, again it's not true, as I found out later when removing screw strips. The photos don't show it, but I also added rain gutters above the windows after they were re-installed. It took me until the 22nd of April to get the windows reinstalled due to a couple of lost weekends due to other obligations.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Composite 5.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	99156  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2015, 04:08 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by baphenatem View Post
On April 9th I started to remove the windows from the camper. The reason for the leakage was obvious, a non-durable foam tape had been used as the means of sealing the window within the opening. Alas, the previous owner had not opted to remove the windows and apply a better sealing solution, but instead applied silicone caulk around the entire frame of the windows. Not to be too pointed about this, but caulking the underside of a window frame like that leads me to believe that said previous owner was in that "Einstein" category of folks. I'm sure it seemed like a good idea, but trapping the water in the bottom of the window frame was a time-delayed recipe for disaster.

Scraping old window sealant off the window frames and old silicone caulk off the walls of the camper had my fun meter pretty much pegged on zero. Finding suitable solvents to remove the residues of these sealants took some experimentation. In the end I think that I used 90% isopropyl alcohol on the window foam and acetone on the silicone caulk.

While common wisdom has it that the Fibercore construction used in the older Bigfoots is impervious to water infiltration, I'm here to say that it just ain't so. Beneath the gelcoat fiberglass skin is a layer of marine plywood that can and will soak up water and de-laminate if given the right conditions. Due to the caulk under the windows, my camper had those conditions and I had to inject adhesive into the voids and clamp the walls of the camper around the windows in order to bond everything back together again.

I opted to use Eternabond to seal up the window frames. Yes, I know that there will be penance to be done if they ever have to be removed again, but I wanted a sealant that would last. Folks think that butyl lasts forever, again it's not true, as I found out later when removing screw strips. The photos don't show it, but I also added rain gutters above the windows after they were re-installed. It took me until the 22nd of April to get the windows reinstalled due to a couple of lost weekends due to other obligations.

Rain gutters are a great idea! I find your restoration updates interesting.

Thanks,

Alan

2001 HR Scepter 38PBD 330 Cummins