Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:27 PM   #1

Truck Camper Weight Resources

I am looking for a used camper for a trip to Alaska next spring. I have a F350 7.3 SD SC and would like to know what various 10' to 11.5' campers weigh dry. I know the Lance is real heavy in the 3200# range. I would really like to have a better weight choice.
Does anyone know of a resource to find slide in weights? After spending much time looking I see why so many folks overload trucks with a dry camper. I am a full time RVer and am well aware of the very large number of overloaded RV's Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2010, 02:18 AM   #2

Look here: Truck Camper Magazine - Go Anywhere. Camp Anywhere.

yorgor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:28 AM   #3

Thanks yorgor. That is a real help. It seems to be for new campers but maybe they have back issues. I sure appreciate the help
Old 10-04-2010, 10:53 AM   #4

Here is another good TC link: NATCOA FORUM
yorgor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 10:03 PM   #5

Forget the published guides. They are only going off what the manufacturer published and they are all way off. The only way to know a campers' true weight is to go to a scale.

We went from an 11' Western Wilderness to an 11' Arctic Fox several years ago with the same GMC dually EC underneath them. I knew the Arctic Fox was going to be heavier with that full wall slideout but man oh man! The Duramax barely worked up a sweat with the WW but that AF was a whole different animal.

When I finally got around to weighing the new setup I was nearly 12,000 pounds with full tanks! Near as I could figure it that camper weighed over 5,000 pounds with full tanks which is not even close to what Northwood says that camper should weigh.

On a side note, the Arctic Fox was a dream in cold weather. We had that camper in minus 0 weather and never froze once, stayed nice and toasty inside. Good luck in your search.
Snowman 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 04:29 PM   #6

You have some good sources here. The dry weight should usually be on the mfg. tag on any unit you look at. I would guess you are looking at used ones since new ones are so pricey. We have a truck camper and took it to Alaska about 4 years ago. It was a great way to see Alaska. The big units are just too much problem to find a campsite for and boondocking is so much easier with a truck camper. We lived in ours for about 4 months and we're still married so it can be done.
Larry
Old 11-17-2010, 02:43 PM   #7

I have an '05 2500HD, that weighs over #7,000 without the TC. I have Lance 2004 Lance 1025 model (10'3") and have easily 10G miles on it. After I load it up with provisions/toys etc., put it on the scales and it weighs in at #13,000+. I have been on bad roads, and heavy winds, and the firestone airbags work great. I have OEM Brand new take offs (3rd set) that I buy off of craigslist, and have a total of 95K miles since new.

The front wheel bearings ($500+ Dealership item) that I replaced myself ($195.00) at 70K miles. That is usual it seems. The wiring to the lights is my only gripe, and a constant pain.

As far as being lucky, I don't see it that way. Load and Balance is the key here folks! And Heat destroys parts. I have all stock parts too, no aftermarket so called performance products! ( I have, but took out my Edge W/ attitude, as it lowered my mileage! ) Everything runs cool, and I might someday buy a set of 5 Ricksons 19.5 Rubber, as I see that is the weakest link! But, even the tires so far have run cool enough! Those tires add even more weight, but it is unsprung weight. Mine is SRW, and owned DRW and it can't find a decent parking spot!!!

I use a digital Infrared Guage to check brakes, Bearings and the Third member, usually every stop for safety. I don't get complacent, and check air pressure as well, at least every other stop. I carry SCUBA gear ( 2 full sets ) which isn't light, but I have an adapter to use tank air for filling up to 80 PSI, period! 50 PSI goes into the firestone's with separate schraders, mounted on the forward bottom lip of the right (Pass) side rear wheel well.

I get 12 + - MPG loaded, I drive 55 mostly! And up to 21 MPG hwy with bare bed or Leer Cap and Heavy Pipe Rack!

Whew! Said about all of it there....any questions?
Old 11-17-2010, 03:01 PM   #8

...Ohh, and to add, it is a Duramax, so it doesn't even breath hard up or down hills. I use the Tow/Haul feature loaded or not, and Front and Rear pads have over half of their usable life left in! I have pics to proove that BTW.

May I mention, this IS the best 3/4 or 1 ton I have ever owned, and I have owned all of the big three over the 4 decades of PU truck ownership. This will be my last one, and see it getting 400+ K miles easily....