Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 01-24-2016, 12:57 PM   #15
I can see why you would prefer gas, your 7.3 has not done nearly as well as the 460. The diesels in my life have done better, but I can certainly see your point.

My personal diesel experience is limited to the '69 F250 I converted with the Perkins 6-354 and the '89 Dodge 5.9 Cummins. Both engines did well with the Perkins accumulating about 200k and the Cummins is at 286k miles and still counting. I gave the Ford Perkins to my son and he continued to drive it for years until the little Watkins aux. trans. I installed in it finally wore out with no parts available.

The Perkins required one injector pump rebuild, and injectors that I rebuilt and occasionally adjusted for a little less that $1000.00 total, but this was in the 80s. Also a water pump for $125.00. Also at that time gas was around $1.00/gal and diesel at .70-.80 cents. Oil changes were 13 qts every 5k miles.

The Cummins has required absolutely nothing except regular maint., which is amazing to me. It has a rotary injection pump which Cummins told me had a life expectancy of 125k or so miles, it's still on the engine. They said it would let me know some time before went so I stopped worrying about it. When it fails it will cost about $1000.00 for a rebuilt one. When we went to AK the truck had about 250k miles on it so I bought a fuel lift pump and water pump for around $100.00 to carry with me just in case they failed in the middle of nowhere. I carried them with me for that trip and at least one OR-WV-OR trip before installing them at home rather than on the road when they failed. Oil changes for it are also 13 qts at 5k miles.

Like your trucks everything around the engines was rebuilt, transmissions, differentials, Dodge frame broke, etc. I think the cost for the transmission rebuilds were around $150.00-$250.00 each, for bearings, synchros, and worn parts. Both were manual 5 speeds and I did the work. They both went between 150k and 200k before rebuilding. I think our cost difference is just between automatics and manuals plus DIY savings.

Before the diesel trucks we had the GMC V6 which averaged 9 mpg OR-WV-OR with the camper at 65 mph, and the Ford with a 360 which averaged around 10 with the camper at about the same speed.

My primary reason for going to diesel was the fuel mileage savings which is only realized by driving a lot of miles. It's a fact that diesel fuel contains more energy that gasoline per gallon and that, with all other things being equal, will equate to better fuel mileage. That's why 18 wheelers, UPS, and Fed EX trucks are all oil burners.

The 454 in the MH takes 7 qts per oil change which is close to half the 13 qts for the Cummins, and the Cummins filter costs more. The Cummins and Perkins engines each weigh close to 1000 lbs compared with a gas engine at around 350.

At the end of the discussion, IMHO, I don't think Boxcar and I are in much disagreement, we've just had different experiences which are reflected in our opinions.

Thanks for the post Boxcar, I can easily understand where you're coming from now, but I still don't know what kind of mileage to expect from the 454.:-)) Well, I'll know for certain in a few months.

dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2016, 01:41 PM   #16
Keep the Kia and buy a class C motorhome, you will find the truck camper will be a little small.

ransil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 06:14 PM   #17
I have never run a 454 as I am a Ford man. Haven't herd great things about there MPG though.
The Kia and class c comment is funny...

Fallow me to camp....

Click image for larger version

Name:	022.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	285.7 KB
ID:	117316
boxcar 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 06:34 AM   #18
Originally Posted by Downwindtrac View Post
I've got a saying "If I wanted to watch grass grow, I would drive a gasser."
You have obviously never owned a 460 Ford.
Or the new Ford v-10 replacement.
A properly tuned and ported efi 460's can see 12 -15 mpg at 400 hp and 500 fpt.
All without the need for a turbo to maintain freeway speeds.
It will also pass emissions without having to re wright the standards.
Something no non turbo diesel has ever managed.
Over the life of the vehicle the turbo diesel will burn your wallet down by nearly twice the maintenance costs.
boxcar 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:29 AM   #19
We went from a '93 diesel pusher, which we found out we hardly used, to a 1996 Lance 11 foot truck camper for our 2001 Ford F350 4x4 off road diesel pickup. We are now back to a 2004 Winnebago Vectra 330hp Cummins.

Choose wisely if you are interested in any Ford diesel products. The 7.3L engine in our truck has been bulletproof, 238K and counting, but the transmissions are about 150K miles and kapoot. Ours left the building about halfway between our place in WI, and AZ. Fully loaded truck with our junk, and pulling a trailer with a car. $4500 later, and three days in a motel, we were back on the road. The replacement transmission, the Ford Heavy Duty version, is much better than the original.

Also, put the best tires you can afford on the truck, we have Michelins class E tires for hauling, probably outlast the truck. Get 4x4 as well, because if you want to off-road at all, you'll need it. And, avoid the 6.0L engine offered from late 2003 to 2007. Fuel injection pump problems, bad heads, injectors, electrical, piece of junk.

Buy your Lance from a dry state if you can, ours is from Arizona, we are selling it, and think by mon/tues it will be gone. We offered both for $13,000 and had a few bites, but now are keeping the truck. Finally, the truck camper with two small dogs, plus a DW, and DH, was pretty small. My thoughts are that they are perfect for short excursions, where you spend most of your time being a tourist, hunting, fishing, and my hobby, car racing. Perfect bed and breakfast, plus bathroom, staying overnight at the track for a couple of days. I'll miss it!
Grenadiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 07:19 PM   #20
Originally Posted by boxcar 1 View Post
I have never run a 454 as I am a Ford man. Haven't herd great things about there MPG though.
The Kia and class c comment is funny...

Fallow me to camp....

Attachment 117316
Looks good.

2004 Chevy Silverado
1999 Fleetwood Mallard 27G
Retired Backpacker out and about
Losthikers is offline   Reply With Quote