Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-20-2001, 09:13 PM   #15

Carolyn,my first impression is like a lot of other replys. If it's gonna be off for a while and it's ok with the park go ahead and do it. But riding in it would be a no-no. Man, think of an emergency situation with your loved ones back there flying around with no warning, maybe with hot coffee and hot food and grease flying around also. Pots and pans like missles flying through the air. I'm maybe over exagerating but talk to someone that rolled one over (someone that did that belongs to this site) and think if you want your people back there.Yes,it can happen in a class A or B but they'd be safer in my eyes. Just my penny's worth

97 F250 Hd. 4Wd.265's,auto hubs,diesel,auto trans,18k trans cooler,Mobil 1 Delvac in engine,Mobil 1 ATF in trans. and transfer case,

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2001, 12:04 PM   #16

I can't seem to find the link, but I know it exsists. Somewhere on the internet is a list that shows state by state legality of riding in various RV's, including slide-ins. I originally got the link off one of the 2 RV newsgroups: alt.rv or rec.outdoors.rv-travel. I head deja news is out of business and that Yahoo? is taking over. Whoever has the usenet archives now, if you search there, you should be able to find the link.

Harald

2000 F350 CC DRW 4x4 Lariat V10 with Alpenlite Pendelton 11'10" camper. Torklift tie-downs and Superhitch, Firestone Ride Rite air springs and Rancho RS9000 shocks.

Email me at HARALD at FOXINTERNET dot NET

Harald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2001, 06:45 PM   #17

Texas Boomers Club
The list of states' rules concerning campers is on page 22 of the Trailer Life Directory for 2001. Don't use my list as gospel because I can make mistakes but I read that it is permissable in all states EXCEPT not allowed in ME, MS, NH, NM, ND, PA, and TN. Also, in HI and KS it is limited to persons over 14 years. In GA you must have free access to drive compartment. And in CA only if passenger can communicate with driver, and exit can be opened from both interior and exterior. This info might be on www.rv.net since thay publish the book. Hope this helps.

John A
Excel 33RKO (2000)/ F350 E4OD(Auto) Powerstroke CC Dualy (1997)
Old 03-30-2001, 09:57 AM   #18

Many thanks to all of you who gave us such great advice, there's nothing like experience.
Our local Lance dealer (Dixie RV) is not going to carry Lance any more. Bummer!!! We only looked at the 820 on paper, and would really like to see one in person. Anyone know of a dealership in the south that has an extinsive inventory?
Carolyn
Old 05-02-2001, 05:57 AM   #19

Carolyn, what has been the outcome of your search for a Lance? Have you found a dealer nearby?

2001 LANCE 820
MMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2001, 03:17 AM   #20

Hi
No, I haven't found a dealer in my area, but my daughter lives in the Tampa area, will check out her dealerships during a visit.
Carolyn
Old 05-03-2001, 05:34 AM   #21
Art

I have two concerns about unloading my camper at a campground. The first concern is that my camper insurance policy allows no coverage for liability. That's because I have liability coverage for my camper while it's on the truck (from the truck insurance) and I have liability coverage for the camper while it's unloaded at home (from my homeowner's insurance). If someone hurts themself and can blame it on my camper while it's unloaded in a campground, I have no protection for their damage claim.

My second concern is that I may return to the campground and find the camper I left there is gone. How difficult would it be for a theif to back his truck under my camper and drive away? The electric jacks do accomodate a manual handle. I suppose I can lock a chain around the front jacks somehow and alay that fear, but I would be anxious to return to my campsite.

1999 Lance 1130
1999 Dodge Ram 3500 QuadCAB 6x6 5.9L gas
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2001, 07:11 AM   #22

Carolyn, you are fortunate to be in the Tampa area while looking for a Lance.
You dealer there will be

TRI-COUNTY R.V.SALES
14584-66th st North
Clearwater, Florida 33764

They are actually located on highway 19 where 275 and 19 separate going South, West side of the road going towards the beach areas of St. Pete and Clearwater.
You will want to speak with Bob Barber the owner or Wally or his gal Friday Kim.
Their phone number is 727-531-9410 and they also have email at TCRV@AOL.com .

Give Bob a call so he can make sure they have want you want in stock or let him give you a price previous to your visit.
You must however tell them that Jimmy and Chimmy the cat from IRV2.com and Fort Lauderdale, said hello
This is my selling dealer and I could not be happier with their personal touch and consideration. The price was right also.

2001 LANCE 820
MMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2001, 05:35 PM   #23
RBT

I usually leave it on when camping but I usually only go for weekends. If im going for more then that we usually have someone with us that has a truck we can ride in. I have taken it off many times and it is not a big deal to me. As far as somone taking it I don't think that would happen any more then someone taking a trailer, I mean a trailer you can back right up to and drive away a camper would be a little harder i think

2000 Lance 1020 Titan V hitch and ext.
Old 06-07-2001, 09:10 PM   #24

I have unloaded the camper to take day trips down the dirt roads of Death Valley. At first there was a concern of someone taking the slide-in, until I looked around at all the trailers and realized how much easier it would be for someone to take one of those. The option to offload sure opens up a lot of exploratory days that would otherwise be missed.

Ford 2000 PSD Supercab 4x4, 6sp, Ride-Rites w/compressor, rear anti-sway bar, Torklift tiedown. Lance 4000 (9'-4')
Old 06-12-2001, 04:05 PM   #25

Carolyn,
We have a 3200lb Alpen 1984 10 foot camper with hydraulics & have off loaded in campgrounds all the time with no problems. The 2nd year we had the camp I even had an "Off Loading Accident" & wrecked it. Factory repaired it better than new. It has made me a whole lot more careful.
A little trick I picked up for stability when the camper is off the truck is a "Camper Stand" made out of a 3/4 inch thick 4X8 sheet of AC plywood. It is made by cutting the sheet into 4 2foot by 4foot pieces. Then cut a one inch by 1foot slot in the middle of each piece. Take 2 pieces & fit them together to form an "X". Put an "X" under front and rear under camper and lower camper on to them. It supports the floor of the camper (relieves stress on it) & camper doesn't wiggle on the jacks. An added benefit is you can lay all of the pieces together flat in the bed of the truck and they are now a "Spacer" to raise the camper appropriately. Enjoy

1997 F350 4X4 cc PSD & 1984 WW Aplen Camper
JohnQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2001, 09:50 AM   #26

Found this today:

RV Safety
Old 01-22-2006, 05:13 PM   #27

Here is another site to add to your favorites if anyone wants rv safety information.

Lucky Buck

RV Safely
Old 01-29-2006, 05:52 AM   #28

It is against California State Law to unload a camper in a private campground. I don't know about any other states. Something about not having wheels under it, so it can towed away if it catches on fire. I would like to know who the **** is going to hookup and tow it away if it is burning. I found this out after unloading my camper in a Yreka CA campground.