Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:41 PM   #15
I have a 2002 F-350 SRW with the V-10 and a 4.30 axle. We recently sold our Citation cabover and bought a fifth wheel, but we hauled that 3200lb camper with a trailer full of atv's all over the western U.S. with no trouble. I have owned the truck since new, and I can tell you it will suck some gas. Unloaded the best I have ever seen is 12.5 mpg, and I average 10.5 empty. Driving in mountainous terrain with camper and trailer in tow, I have seen as low as 6 mpg. Power is adequate on ours and I understand the newer ones are even more powerful. My only problem in 90000 miles is that recently it has begun to consume more oil. Nearly 2 quarts in 3000 miles. Ford says it's within spec, and it doesn't smoke. Despite this, I will probably trade it in a new one (V-10 again) soon. You might check out www.fordtrucks.com too. They have some good info on these trucks.

FlagFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2008, 04:56 AM   #16
My 2000 Ford with a V10 and 4:30LS is an outstanding combination. My truck weighs 4300 lbs. with the tool box loaded. It does use gasoline, but the fuel cost for diesel makes it a wash. I get about 7.5 towing my Newmar and around 12 solo.

The 4:30 rear end allows the motor to work at the 2300 RPM doing 55 MPH. This engine will crank to 5000 without a problem.

My friends in the Ford Power Train and also local dealer recommended that if I replace my truck that I purchase a V10 again. They are very reliable and will pull.

You really need a DRW with a bigger slide on unit. I would also make certain that you have enough springs to handle the camper.

Happy Trails!!!!

jojolima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 07:28 PM   #17
You are getting some very good advise here. I agree that the V10 is a great choice. Diesels are expensive and the fuel (at least in California) is insanely priced. I also would recommend the manual trans over an automatic. I have a Silverado 2500HD 4x4 and had to replace the auto trans, $3200 for a factory rebuilt one. Automatics in light trucks are not built tough enough for heavy work load.
Good luck with your new truck.
P Colahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 06:28 PM   #18
go with the diesel, they dont lose power in the mountains when the air get thin like gas buggys do Better gas miliage to v10, a killer on gas

pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote