Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-22-2013, 03:50 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus
 
RustyJC's Avatar


 
Texas Boomers Club
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Cypress, Texas USA
Posts: 8,854
No, unfortunately, it's not. Why is that? Why do we accept that as "that's just the way it is with RVs" from a manufacturer's RV dealer network when we'd never accept it from our car or truck manufacturer's dealer network?

Rusty
__________________

__________________
2016 Ram Longhorn 3500 Dually 4x4 CCLB, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2013, 05:36 PM   #16
Member
 
dubob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Hooper, UT
Posts: 71
Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Why do we accept that as "that's just the way it is with RVs" from a manufacturer's RV dealer network when we'd never accept it from our car or truck manufacturer's dealer network?
That's kind of what I was thinking.
__________________

__________________
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 75 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
dubob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:43 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
BFlinn181's Avatar
 
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 16,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill View Post
Nissan makes a profit on every vehicle sold to a dealer, and the dealer makes a profit on each vehicle sold to a retail customer. Since both the factory and the dealer share in the profit, both have to share in the loss created by a warranty repair.

This actually does make sense to me, but you can see how a dealer feels about taking a loss on a repair for a vehicle that he made no profit on in the first place.
This doesn't make sense to me. A dealer is a member of the local community and as such should wish to build goodwill and a reputation that keeps bringing people back. That half hour of labor he was shorted by the manufacturer would more than be made up in the repeat business and word of mouth advertising he would get from a satisfied customer. The manufacturer should want ALL their vehicles serviced locally and properly. The 'sharing' of warranty costs means the dealer is partly culpable for poor quality control? Why not then also spread the 'cost' of the shop labor charge back to the supplier of the defective part or the worker on the assembly line that installed something improperly? A dealer that would accept less than 100% of the shop time costs is just enabling poor quality from up the line. Profit is built into every part of the dealership, Parts, Service, New Car and Used Car sales. I don't see the sacrifice.
__________________

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:56 AM   #18
Member
 
dubob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Hooper, UT
Posts: 71
Update

This is an update on this issue that I thought you might want to hear. Since Lance ran interference for me with the dealership in SLC, I was able to negotiate a service call for some warranty work as well as some non-warranty work. I waited until I didn’t have a camping trip planned for at least a couple of weeks to give the dealership plenty of time to get my work completed while attending to their customers who had actually bought from the dealership.

The warranty work involved the water pump system (air in the system), a drawer not holding shut during travel, and a problem with the dinette cushion back frame. Non-warranty work was replacing the power connection from camper to truck and install replacement TV/radio antennas. I took the unit in last week Monday and all the work was completed by Thursday afternoon. I picked the unit up yesterday.

After actually meeting the service writer (Allen) face-to-face, and explaining my repair needs I was very favorably impressed with his attitude and willingness to get my unit repaired to my satisfaction. When I picked the unit up, Allen went over all the items with me while we inspected each item for proper repair. All items met my expectations and the quality of the work appears to be first rate. I will have no problem in the future with calling Terry’s RV Center in SLC for repairs or modifications to my unit.

I’m glad that what started out as a potential bad relationship with the dealership turned out to be a positive relationship in the end. And thank you Lance Corp for running interference for me to set things right.
__________________
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 75 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
dubob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:51 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Scotty14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubob View Post
This is an update on this issue that I thought you might want to hear. Since Lance ran interference for me with the dealership in SLC, I was able to negotiate a service call for some warranty work as well as some non-warranty work. I waited until I didn’t have a camping trip planned for at least a couple of weeks to give the dealership plenty of time to get my work completed while attending to their customers who had actually bought from the dealership.

The warranty work involved the water pump system (air in the system), a drawer not holding shut during travel, and a problem with the dinette cushion back frame. Non-warranty work was replacing the power connection from camper to truck and install replacement TV/radio antennas. I took the unit in last week Monday and all the work was completed by Thursday afternoon. I picked the unit up yesterday.

After actually meeting the service writer (Allen) face-to-face, and explaining my repair needs I was very favorably impressed with his attitude and willingness to get my unit repaired to my satisfaction. When I picked the unit up, Allen went over all the items with me while we inspected each item for proper repair. All items met my expectations and the quality of the work appears to be first rate. I will have no problem in the future with calling Terry’s RV Center in SLC for repairs or modifications to my unit.

I’m glad that what started out as a potential bad relationship with the dealership turned out to be a positive relationship in the end. And thank you Lance Corp for running interference for me to set things right.
Glad to hear in the end everything was fixed to your expectations, and Lance for being there for you which to me is important. Best of luck
Scott
__________________
Scott Stielow IC1(SW) USN Retired
Scotty14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:02 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
fastcat's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 460
Well, there's an old saying: "there's always two sides to every story".

Even though you seem to be satisfied with the final outcome, we never did, and probably never will, hear the other side of the story.
__________________
Dick & Theresa
2007 HR Endeavor 36 PDQ
Lots of power to pull the toys I don't have time to use!!
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:41 PM   #21
Member
 
dubob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Hooper, UT
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcat View Post
Well, there's an old saying: "there's always two sides to every story".

Even though you seem to be satisfied with the final outcome, we never did, and probably never will, hear the other side of the story.
Okay Fastcat, I’ll bite; just exactly what would the other side have provided that I didn’t? I asked my local dealership to perform some warranty work on my RV and told them up front where I bought it and why. It was a civil discussion. They initially declined to provide said warranty service and the conversation ended without any name calling or shouting at one another. I then called Lance and explained what happened and they told me they would intercede with the dealership on my behalf.

I then called the dealership and discussed bringing the unit in for the required work after I completed a couple of already planned trips using the RV. They said to call them when I was ready to bring it in. When I called them back to schedule the appointment I told them I would bring it in to them on their schedule so that they could service customers they sold units ahead of me as needed. They scheduled me 2 weeks later. The results of that session (which you don’t seem to be happy with) have already been reported by me.

My relationship with the dealership is good and I detected no animosity or coolness towards me by any of the service staff. So with all due respect, you’ll have to pardon my confusion as to why you think ‘the other side of the story' is necessary to make this thread complete.
__________________

__________________
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 75 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
dubob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.