Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:50 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
No, unfortunately, it's not. Why is that? Why do we accept that as "that's just the way it is with RVs" from a manufacturer's RV dealer network when we'd never accept it from our car or truck manufacturer's dealer network?

Rusty

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2013, 05:36 PM   #16

Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Why do we accept that as "that's just the way it is with RVs" from a manufacturer's RV dealer network when we'd never accept it from our car or truck manufacturer's dealer network?
That's kind of what I was thinking.

dubob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:43 PM   #17

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill View Post
Nissan makes a profit on every vehicle sold to a dealer, and the dealer makes a profit on each vehicle sold to a retail customer. Since both the factory and the dealer share in the profit, both have to share in the loss created by a warranty repair.

This actually does make sense to me, but you can see how a dealer feels about taking a loss on a repair for a vehicle that he made no profit on in the first place.
This doesn't make sense to me. A dealer is a member of the local community and as such should wish to build goodwill and a reputation that keeps bringing people back. That half hour of labor he was shorted by the manufacturer would more than be made up in the repeat business and word of mouth advertising he would get from a satisfied customer. The manufacturer should want ALL their vehicles serviced locally and properly. The 'sharing' of warranty costs means the dealer is partly culpable for poor quality control? Why not then also spread the 'cost' of the shop labor charge back to the supplier of the defective part or the worker on the assembly line that installed something improperly? A dealer that would accept less than 100% of the shop time costs is just enabling poor quality from up the line. Profit is built into every part of the dealership, Parts, Service, New Car and Used Car sales. I don't see the sacrifice.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:56 AM   #18

Update

This is an update on this issue that I thought you might want to hear. Since Lance ran interference for me with the dealership in SLC, I was able to negotiate a service call for some warranty work as well as some non-warranty work. I waited until I didn’t have a camping trip planned for at least a couple of weeks to give the dealership plenty of time to get my work completed while attending to their customers who had actually bought from the dealership.

The warranty work involved the water pump system (air in the system), a drawer not holding shut during travel, and a problem with the dinette cushion back frame. Non-warranty work was replacing the power connection from camper to truck and install replacement TV/radio antennas. I took the unit in last week Monday and all the work was completed by Thursday afternoon. I picked the unit up yesterday.

After actually meeting the service writer (Allen) face-to-face, and explaining my repair needs I was very favorably impressed with his attitude and willingness to get my unit repaired to my satisfaction. When I picked the unit up, Allen went over all the items with me while we inspected each item for proper repair. All items met my expectations and the quality of the work appears to be first rate. I will have no problem in the future with calling Terry’s RV Center in SLC for repairs or modifications to my unit.

I’m glad that what started out as a potential bad relationship with the dealership turned out to be a positive relationship in the end. And thank you Lance Corp for running interference for me to set things right.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:51 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubob View Post
This is an update on this issue that I thought you might want to hear. Since Lance ran interference for me with the dealership in SLC, I was able to negotiate a service call for some warranty work as well as some non-warranty work. I waited until I didn’t have a camping trip planned for at least a couple of weeks to give the dealership plenty of time to get my work completed while attending to their customers who had actually bought from the dealership.

The warranty work involved the water pump system (air in the system), a drawer not holding shut during travel, and a problem with the dinette cushion back frame. Non-warranty work was replacing the power connection from camper to truck and install replacement TV/radio antennas. I took the unit in last week Monday and all the work was completed by Thursday afternoon. I picked the unit up yesterday.

After actually meeting the service writer (Allen) face-to-face, and explaining my repair needs I was very favorably impressed with his attitude and willingness to get my unit repaired to my satisfaction. When I picked the unit up, Allen went over all the items with me while we inspected each item for proper repair. All items met my expectations and the quality of the work appears to be first rate. I will have no problem in the future with calling Terry’s RV Center in SLC for repairs or modifications to my unit.

I’m glad that what started out as a potential bad relationship with the dealership turned out to be a positive relationship in the end. And thank you Lance Corp for running interference for me to set things right.
Glad to hear in the end everything was fixed to your expectations, and Lance for being there for you which to me is important. Best of luck
Scott
Old 09-07-2013, 08:02 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Well, there's an old saying: "there's always two sides to every story".

Even though you seem to be satisfied with the final outcome, we never did, and probably never will, hear the other side of the story.
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:41 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcat View Post
Well, there's an old saying: "there's always two sides to every story".

Even though you seem to be satisfied with the final outcome, we never did, and probably never will, hear the other side of the story.
Okay Fastcat, I’ll bite; just exactly what would the other side have provided that I didn’t? I asked my local dealership to perform some warranty work on my RV and told them up front where I bought it and why. It was a civil discussion. They initially declined to provide said warranty service and the conversation ended without any name calling or shouting at one another. I then called Lance and explained what happened and they told me they would intercede with the dealership on my behalf.

I then called the dealership and discussed bringing the unit in for the required work after I completed a couple of already planned trips using the RV. They said to call them when I was ready to bring it in. When I called them back to schedule the appointment I told them I would bring it in to them on their schedule so that they could service customers they sold units ahead of me as needed. They scheduled me 2 weeks later. The results of that session (which you don’t seem to be happy with) have already been reported by me.

My relationship with the dealership is good and I detected no animosity or coolness towards me by any of the service staff. So with all due respect, you’ll have to pardon my confusion as to why you think ‘the other side of the story' is necessary to make this thread complete.