Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:31 PM   #1

Hi Everyone,
I am new to this forum, so I am sorry for introducing myself with a problem that I need help with (and for the long post) but here goes.

We have a 2004 Bigfoot 2500 that we have been fairly happy with (I am very sorry to hear that they have folded). I was changing the cheap drawer guides that have always given us trouble, with some Accuride guides, when I noticed that the wall section under the hanging closet, just forward of the range was delaminating and wet (passenger side). I thought that I traced it to the propane niche as the caulking had a small gap. I stripped the silicone and cleaned it thoroughly with denatured alchohol before re-caulking it with 3m marine silicone inside the storage niche and out. I put a fan on the area and it dried out. Well, we recieved more rainfall and the leak, while smaller, is still present. I have examined the areas that I caulked and they have good adhesion so I don't think that the problem is there. The fridge is forward of the leak area so I took off the outside cover and looked in; I did not see anything to indicate a leak. The plywood wall panel has a horizontal seam a foot or so up from the leak, and it is dry and uneffected so I don't think the leak could be window or roof related unless it is coming in at the fridge vent and running down that chase. Bigfoot builds these like a boat in a clamshell configuration so could the leak be coming from the seam? The caulking in that area looks good. I was hoping someone might have some ideas....It's raining again today so maybe it will reveal an entry point.
Thanks in advance,
Michael

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2009, 05:27 PM   #2

I wouldn't bee too quick to rule out the roof around the vents. Water can travell. Just a pin hole can be a problem in some parts of the country. (I'm in the pacific NW.)

Being paranoid and in the NW, I would caulk the seam around the cam also if it was mine, but I do overkill when it comes to water.

could the water have traveled down from the top of the fridge where you might not see it? Top of the fridge is a great spot for a leak.

good luck...

dbkennel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:17 PM   #3

This forum doesn't get much traffic. You might be better off posting on RV.net Truck Camper Forum

2007 F350, SC, LB, 4x4, SRW, 6.0/auto
Steve_in_29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:07 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally posted by mstovall11:
Hi Everyone,
I am new to this forum, so I am sorry for introducing myself with a problem that I need help with (and for the long post) but here goes.

We have a 2004 Bigfoot 2500 that we have been fairly happy with (I am very sorry to hear that they have folded). I was changing the cheap drawer guides that have always given us trouble, with some Accuride guides, when I noticed that the wall section under the hanging closet, just forward of the range was delaminating and wet (passenger side). I thought that I traced it to the propane niche as the caulking had a small gap. I stripped the silicone and cleaned it thoroughly with denatured alchohol before re-caulking it with 3m marine silicone inside the storage niche and out. I put a fan on the area and it dried out. Well, we recieved more rainfall and the leak, while smaller, is still present. I have examined the areas that I caulked and they have good adhesion so I don't think that the problem is there. The fridge is forward of the leak area so I took off the outside cover and looked in; I did not see anything to indicate a leak. The plywood wall panel has a horizontal seam a foot or so up from the leak, and it is dry and uneffected so I don't think the leak could be window or roof related unless it is coming in at the fridge vent and running down that chase. Bigfoot builds these like a boat in a clamshell configuration so could the leak be coming from the seam? The caulking in that area looks good. I was hoping someone might have some ideas....It's raining again today so maybe it will reveal an entry point.
Thanks in advance,
Michael
Old 01-29-2009, 10:14 AM   #5

Hello Mike,
My 10.6 had a water leak. I found the leak at the top of the window over the table. Run a bead of caulk on the window frame. My floor is no longer wet etc. This my 3rd Bigfoot and very happy with the product. This camper like all others needs a litle TLC now and then but nothing major. Stay in touch!
Cully