Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2007, 02:40 PM   #1

Hi,

I'm considering adding an additional generator on
a 'receiver hitch carrier' on the back of my truck/tc
rig.

My truck is diesel and the onan microlite 2500 is lp.

I like the popular honda eu3000i but it's a gasoline model
...so, that would mean 3 types of fuel on board. I work
with this dealer on some other things and am trying to
talk myself into this model...even considering converting
it to LP.

My next step will be to talk to our local onan dealer to see what possibilities there might be to add another Microlite
of similar or slightly larger size.

Anyone worked through this sort of thing?

Best regards
Rick
2001 Bigfoot 3000 10.11
2001 F550 4WD
RWaldbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2007, 02:40 PM   #2

Hi,

I'm considering adding an additional generator on
a 'receiver hitch carrier' on the back of my truck/tc
rig.

My truck is diesel and the onan microlite 2500 is lp.

I like the popular honda eu3000i but it's a gasoline model
...so, that would mean 3 types of fuel on board. I work
with this dealer on some other things and am trying to
talk myself into this model...even considering converting
it to LP.

My next step will be to talk to our local onan dealer to see what possibilities there might be to add another Microlite
of similar or slightly larger size.

Anyone worked through this sort of thing?

Best regards
Rick
2001 Bigfoot 3000 10.11
2001 F550 4WD
Old 11-07-2007, 08:25 PM   #3

If its heavy you could be causing center of gravity issues. You do have a F550, though.
Paul Beddows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 07:08 AM   #4

Hi Paul,

Yes, a 550 with a flat bed that puts the COG 2' ahead
of the axle. A good observation but I think I'm safe.

I'm more worried about carry three fuels...
and, the natural place for that extra gasoline
would be right out there on my tail with no significant
protection.

My reviews suggests that converting either the
honda or comparable Yamahas are not quite as
easy as I hope.

Still cooking the ideas...someone will come along
with personal experience.

Best, Rick
Old 11-14-2007, 05:08 PM   #5

Rick, I don't know if you have found this, maybe helpful. http://www.propane-generators.com/eu3000i_kits.htm
Erich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 05:23 PM   #6

Hey Erich,

Yes. I've got it. I'm taking the info by the honda guys the dealership I like. I'd like to use the info as a gentle persuasion
for them to figure out how to get this conversion accomplished for me. Evidently, Honda doesn't want the dealer to
do this conversion.

...yet the info is right there, it's available. Not only that,
Yamaha is offered by these folks already prepped for tri
fuel out of the box.

The only drawback i see in the comparable Yamaha is that it's not obvious if it can be hooked up in parallel.

This will happen one way or another.

Thanks, rick
Old 04-11-2008, 04:35 PM   #7

Rick,
have you considered enlarging the generator compartment to fit the Honda 3000i? As far as propane conversion sounds OK. What about elevations. I thought when you're in the mountains you'd have to replace the venturi or something. That seems to be a bit of a nuisance. Wouldn't gasoline be an easier obtainable fuel than propane? As a matter of fact why not get a gasser , then you could tap into the truck gas tank. Forget about the noisey Onan generator altogether and enjoy the Honda 3000i equipped with a remote control. Or you could mount the 3000i like you said and fill the generator compartment with 4 6V heavy duty deep cycle batteries, get yourself an inverter (1750 watt will drive the 600W microwave and your lights, TV, sat.dish etc.) You could start your mornings with the totally silent battery power and charge your battery during the later and noisier part of the day. When travelling the batteries work great on your stopovers. They get recharged while you driving. Or just install 2 or 4 80 Watt solar panels that will further reduce your need of the generator. I find the battery option with solar panels and the Honda 2000i work just fine for me. The only thing I would wish to have is the generator remote control, but having the batteries it kind makes it obsolete. You're welcome to check some pictures in my profile about my setup.
cheers,
Larry.

1998 Bigfoot 2500 10.6
Ayeedo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 06:42 PM   #8

Hi Larry,

Lots of good thoughts here. I've sort of thought about enlarging the gen compartment but, ugh, seems like a job! I've bought the Honda now and am waiting for the modified carb to come back to proceed wth the LP conversion. I want to see just what the dimensions are before taking that idea further. At the moment, plans remain the same for carrying the Honda on a front mounted tray and see what happens with the Onan. I've just 400 h on that.

I'm avoiding gas because I need LP anyway for other aspects of the camper and the truck is a 2001 F550 Superduty diesel. Just rather not carry three fuels. I do carry multiple LP tanks with me but never had any difficulty obtaining propane.

My Ford is outfitted with a custom 10' flatbed and utility boxes. I'm a fan of the Trojan 6 V's myself with 4 in one of those boxes and two of the optima-like 12 V's...all recharged while driving.

My travel at the moment is best suited for the alternator charging as opposed to the solar. I'm very familiar with the setup from having had sailboats outfitted similarly to yours and perhaps will include that if I'm doing extended stays somewhere. I laid the groundwork system already as you have with the Truecharger and Link power management monitor.

I never thought of the Onan as loud...until the Honda!

R

Rick,
have you considered enlarging the generator compartment to fit the Honda 3000i? As far as propane conversion sounds OK. What about elevations. I thought when you're in the mountains you'd have to replace the venturi or something. That seems to be a bit of a nuisance. Wouldn't gasoline be an easier obtainable fuel than propane? As a matter of fact why not get a gasser , then you could tap into the truck gas tank. Forget about the noisey Onan generator altogether and enjoy the Honda 3000i equipped with a remote control. Or you could mount the 3000i like you said and fill the generator compartment with 4 6V heavy duty deep cycle batteries, get yourself an inverter (1750 watt will drive the 600W microwave and your lights, TV, sat.dish etc.) You could start your mornings with the totally silent battery power and charge your battery during the later and noisier part of the day. When travelling the batteries work great on your stopovers. They get recharged while you driving. Or just install 2 or 4 80 Watt solar panels that will further reduce your need of the generator. I find the battery option with solar panels and the Honda 2000i work just fine for me. The only thing I would wish to have is the generator remote control, but having the batteries it kind makes it obsolete. You're welcome to check some pictures in my profile about my setup.
cheers,
Larry.

2001 Chev, K3500 dually, LT, CC, 8.1 L, Ally 1000
1998 Bigfoot 2500 10.6
Honda 2000i, 1750 W Inverter,
40A Truecharger, Sat. Dish, 4 6V Batteries,Link 20 Monitor, 150W Siemens Solar, Colemen Mini-Mach A/C
Old 04-12-2008, 09:36 AM   #9

Rick,
Well you are equipped with at least 600Ah of "unbridled power"! I guess one never can have enough batteries. I kind of use lot of battery power as well. Prefer not to discharge any more than 50% though. Too bad the IRV2 is not as popular as the rv.net forum. At least here I can get on almost anytime.
Having a flat bed could you not place the generator in one of the side compartments? When I don't pull the trailer I carry the generator on the rear platform mounted in the hitch. The jerry can of gasoline is there as well. I do it reluctantly. I'm a bit concerned about getting rear ended. Comparing to the front mount I thought it is a bit safer since the camper is between us. However if the jerry can ruptured that gas would get anywhere in a jiffy. I din't see your setup. Do you have any pictures to show?
cheers,
larry.

1998 Bigfoot 2500 10.6
Ayeedo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 10:27 AM   #10

Hi Larry,

I'm not enough of an electrician or haven't put the effort into determining just what my draws are and have been disappointed with what I can do with all my battery power. Even though, as I said, I've spent many weeks even up to a month on sailboats with good results with solar, the camper is so much "more equipped" that I have trouble figuring things out.

I go in fits and starts monitoring groups too. Initially, I mistakenly thought your post came through a Bigfoot group. I'd forgotten I'd posted IRV2.

I just posted a side shot of the rig to the right group this time. Key words should be something like: Rick Waldbart side shot bigfoot.

I'm with you on carrying the gen/fuel outside and the danger in collision...don't know an answer...just hoping LP isn't quite as dangerous as gasoline is, just don't know.

Placing the gen in one of the side compartments is a possibility though i sort of doubt it. As mentioned, in the next week or so I'll have the unit converted then see what I'm actually dealing with.

Even though I bought the unit from a dealer I like and have worked with for years, I'm a little troubled by the fact that Honda, hence the dealership, says the conversion voids warranty etc. The units aren't that expensive that i worry about repairs and so forth it's the potential for liability in case the conversion leads to an issue. I don't have a clue as to the implications of this, my expertise is elsewhere. I'm thinking that any actual flaw in the conversion,if there is one, is going to lead to more consumption of fuel etc as opposed to unpleasant explosions and so forth.

Probably worrying about nothing.

Hope you can see the pics.

I noted another post by you, will check it out.

R
Old 04-30-2008, 08:44 AM   #11

Go check out these conversions

http://www.yamaha-propane-natural-gas-generators.com/
Jumbo Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:00 AM   #12

Hi Jumbo Jet,

Yeah, i saw these and considered Yamaha. For my own personal reasons, other business ties, I stuck with Honda and that same outfit now has
the carburetor for modification.

Might have been a silly choice but such is life.

Regards, Rick