Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-04-2008, 06:30 PM   #1

I have a 07 Tundra and am looking into getting a Lance camper for it. My question is, I still tow my dune buggy on a trailer. But with the camper overhang, I am going to need a special hitch or extension...

What do you guys do???

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2008, 06:30 PM   #2

I have a 07 Tundra and am looking into getting a Lance camper for it. My question is, I still tow my dune buggy on a trailer. But with the camper overhang, I am going to need a special hitch or extension...

What do you guys do???

Old 10-05-2008, 05:34 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am going to move this topic to the Slide-In forum. You will certainly get more responses there.

But I need to ask - are you sure a Tundra is capable of carrying a slide-in camper? I am not too familiar with the ratings on the Tundra.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:18 AM   #4

According to the Lance web site, the Lance 805 is the only camper they sell suitable for the Tundra with a dry weight slightly over 1300#. As there appears to be a slight overhang, you will probably need an extension of some sort, even if it is just a longer ball carrier and that is NOT something to do if you have significant tongue weight with that dune buggy - trailer combo. Extensions reduce the available tongue weight for the truck hitch because the weight sits further back behind the axle. IMHO you are asking too much of your Tundra with this proposed setup. My son-in-law owns a 2007 Tundra and so I am familiar with the truck you own.

Rick
Old 10-05-2008, 08:27 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Take a look at the SuperHitch.

I echo John and Rick's concern that the camper/trailer setup may be too much for a Tundra. Hopefully, you've done the math to make sure you'll be within your truck's weight ratings.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:33 AM   #6

While there are a couple of campers that will work with the Tundra on their own (only one of which has a bathroom), I think you are really asking too much of that truck to also pull a several thousand pound trailer at the same time. The Toyota will do one-or-the-other well but together you will find that the combined load will overwhelm your truck.

You don't specify which Tundra model you have but if it's the Double Cab the Lance WON'T fit due to the 5' bed. If you have the DC you will need to go with the 4Wheelcamper model designed for that extra short bed.

On the bright side, IF you have the DC then the 4Wheelcamper is such a basic/light unit that you MIGHT be able to get away with also towing your trailer.

2007 F350, SC, LB, 4x4, SRW, 6.0/auto
Steve_in_29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 07:52 AM   #7

Mine is a DC not the MegaCab. I was looking into a Lance 825. Its not even an option without a toilet and shower.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:01 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 59Bisquik:
Mine is a DC not the MegaCab. I was looking into a Lance 825. Its not even an option without a toilet and shower. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

1620 lbs dry?

No way should you consider that and tow too. JMHO. I know Lance uses the Tundra brand in their description but even that's pretty optimistic with no additional load considerations.

Rick
Old 10-08-2008, 07:35 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 59Bisquik:
Mine is a DC not the MegaCab. I was looking into a Lance 825. Its not even an option without a toilet and shower. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Sorry I meant the CrewMax as the one with the 5' bed.

If you are looking for a camper with a full bathroom AND the possibility of towing, then the only choice you have for your truck is the Tundra specific version of the Outfitter Apex8 pop-up TC but even that would be seriously pushing the envelope with your truck.

2007 F350, SC, LB, 4x4, SRW, 6.0/auto
Steve_in_29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 04:14 PM   #10

We just ordered the SuperHitch manufactured and sold by Torklift in Kent WA. Along with the SuperHitch we ordered the 48-inch extension....

We have a Bigfoot3000/F350 combo; the camper extends out about 3 feet; we will be towing a Saturn Vue.

A problem we will have to solve is entering the camper with the tow system in use. The camper steps fold underneath the camper and very likely I will not be able to swing them out. I am considering constructing a "porch" on the Bigfoot and remounting the steps on the side ...for side entrance.

Those with any experience in either constructing a small porch on the Bigfoot followed by remounting the steps, please post reply on this thread, Thanks!

HEMI