RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-28-2016, 06:48 PM   #1

Which truck is best.

I know here is a topic that can go so wrong so fast. But let me be truthful. It is just so hard to figure out what to get. Everyone has there opinion on what they like. But it would be great if we could just get the reasons why you like your truck. And let the novice ones learn from that and not get into a long argument as to why. I truly believe that when it comes to a vehicle one should by what you need and not what you like cuz when you need it you'll like it. So that being said this is what I would like to see a mid size slide in camper and a diesel truck for two people and maybe some dogs or grandchildren. 3/4 or 1 ton for sure. And with this I would like anyone who wants to just say what truck they have and why they like it. And only for a slide in camper not for work. That's a whole different ball game. And in advance I would like to say thank you to all participants. And this is my first post. So yes I am a novice TC.

br126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2016, 09:22 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by br126 View Post
I know here is a topic that can go so wrong so fast. But let me be truthful. It is just so hard to figure out what to get. Everyone has there opinion on what they like. But it would be great if we could just get the reasons why you like your truck. And let the novice ones learn from that and not get into a long argument as to why. I truly believe that when it comes to a vehicle one should by what you need and not what you like cuz when you need it you'll like it. So that being said this is what I would like to see a mid size slide in camper and a diesel truck for two people and maybe some dogs or grandchildren. 3/4 or 1 ton for sure. And with this I would like anyone who wants to just say what truck they have and why they like it. And only for a slide in camper not for work. That's a whole different ball game. And in advance I would like to say thank you to all participants. And this is my first post. So yes I am a novice TC.
Are you looking at new or used?

jtbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 09:25 PM   #3

Used. 2012 and up.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:37 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Sorry to throw water on your thread but for what you said your needs are you are not going to find a slide in pickup camper that will work on a one ton truck, that typically will max out at about 3,000 pounds payload including passengers and all the stuff you carry in the truck and the pickup camper, that will be comfortable for 4 people and dogs. Take a look at the Lance Truck Campers web site and the dry weights of the various models.

IMO your minimum truck will be a Ford Super Duty or the Dodge / GMC / Chevy counterparts of that.

Good luck with your journey.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 10:23 AM   #5

Jayco Owners Club
Truck brands are kind of like religion and politics, everyone has a favorite for a variety of reasons. That said, here is what I have. A 2007 (purchased new) Dodge 3/4 ton with the Cummins 5.0L diesel. This has been a very reliable mechanically sound vehicle with plenty of power. It is not fancy and Dodge is not know for its fit and finish. Still, I'm happy with it. I have airbags under the rear springs which I inflate when the camper is loaded. My camper is an Eagle Cap 8 1/2 foot slide in camper. Probably too small for your needs. There are other brands and many are larger. I would suggest a one ton pickup with some sort of supplemental suspension aid.

Good luck.

Jim
mtdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 06:58 AM   #6

Here are some payload capacity figures for 2016.

----------------------Reg---Ext---Crew
---Ford 250 4X4--- 3830 3560 3450
---Ford 350 4X4 S 4300 4100 3930
---Ford 350 4X4 D 7160 6780 6540
----GM 2500 4X4---3409 2986 3182
----GM 3500 4X4 S 4351 4292 4109
----GM 3500 4X4 D 6723 5955 5743
Dodge 2500 4X4--- 3580 3305 3480
Dodge 3500 4X4 S 4230 4480 4530
Dodge 3500 4X4 D 6910 6680 7020

There are probably well over 100 different figures I could have supplied and most of them would have been less. Payload is a function of engine, truck bed, axle ratio, passenger compartment, & GVWR selection to name a few. As you can see, you can get up to 7,100 pound capacity in a one ton truck with the right set of components. If you have a VIN number, any dealer can pull up the build sheet for that vehicle and the build sheet will give you the factory ratings for payload and towing capacities. Saying 1-ton truck are only good to about 3,000 pound payloads is false and misleading. Trucks built 3 or 4 years ago will be slightly less than these 2016 figures show, but not a whole lot less – maybe a couple hundred pounds less. A 3 quarter ton truck is probably not going to be your best choice, but a 1-ton will work just fine. And a dually will ALWAYS be a better choice for a slide in truck camper.
dubob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 07:21 AM   #7

Thank you. Are these figures on a Web site. If so would you be so kind as to post it. Or lead me in the right direction. And funny you should say that with the Vin number. Every time I ask a sales person they shrug there shoulders and say " well about........." it was and is mind boggling that they do not have that information handy right away. Or give it up freely. But doing all this I have learnt that GMC have a sticker behind the glove box that gives the payload aprox. And yes I do understand that there are a whole lot of variables that go with that number. But it's a starting point.
Old 10-30-2016, 07:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by br126 View Post
Thank you. Are these figures on a Web site. No; the figres came from the Mfg website brochure/spec downloads.
If so would you be so kind as to post it. Or lead me in the right direction. You will have to go to each Mfg website and search for the brochures/spec sheets.
And funny you should say that with the Vin number. Every time I ask a sales person they shrug there shoulders and say " well about........." it was and is mind boggling that they do not have that information handy right away. They usually don't have it readily available. But they can enter a VIN and get a build sheet and print it out for you. My local Chevy dealer has done this for both my current vehicles which I bought used. Ford/Dodge may call it something else, but I assume they can pull up the original data based on the VIN number. If the salesman is clueless (or just to damn lazy), ask to speak to the GM.
Or give it up freely. But doing all this I have learnt that GMC have a sticker behind the glove box that gives the payload aprox. And yes I do understand that there are a whole lot of variables that go with that number. But it's a starting point.
Good luck.
Old 11-03-2016, 04:48 PM   #9

Avoid the Mercedes-Benz G-56 manual tranny in the Ram.
Old 11-03-2016, 05:11 PM   #10

Payload (Cargo Carrying Capacity) weight numbers can be found on "tire data sticker"
on driver door jam and sometimes in glove box

Look for payload sufficient to haul the TC you plan on using
That most likely will be a 350/3500 ---- might be SRW but could easily mean DRW
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 07:03 PM   #11

Jayco Owners Club
Ram
coldfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 06:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldfusion View Post
Ram
Old 11-04-2016, 09:41 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Grand kids and dogs ? Plus two people.......Think this out carefully.
Old 11-04-2016, 10:07 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
As I have mentioned several times, I notice things. I used to drive from SLC to Cheyenne once a week on I80. It got boring -- fast. So I started playing games. One game was gypsie truckers and what they drove. These gypsies hauled 5ers and TTs across country from the factory to the dealer. Finding = 80% drove Dodge dually 2wd. The other 20% were an even split between Ford and Chevy/GMC duallies. FWIW.

TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote