Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-24-2016, 11:58 PM   #15

Our '92 11.4' Caribou equipped with gen and air and fully loaded went across the scales at 4340 lbs. We carried it more than 200k miles with a W250 Dodge Cummins which is a 3/4 ton 4X4 diesel 5 speed manual srw.

However, after having it a short time I researched the differences between it and a 1 ton and more or less converted it to a 1 ton. As I recall the major differences were larger brakes and heavier springs.

In the end, the truck size needed will depend on the size and weight of the camper you choose.

Best of luck.

Steve

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2016, 01:01 AM   #16

Country Coach Owners Club
which truck will be best for camper?

As mentioned don't overlook tire loading. Short box trucks put more weight on the rear tires vs long box as the camper centre of gravity is closer to the rear axle in short box trucks.

Larger diameter rim tires (ie 20 inch) may have lower load rating (shorter sidewall) than equivalent 18" diameter rims on the same truck.

Some camper owners have upgraded Rims/tires to 19.5 diameter rims/tires. Rickson Wheels are one provider.

http://www.ricksontruckwheels.com/index.php

Duallys sometimes are better handling for campers due to wider stance.

Brian

BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:03 PM   #17

Truck Campers

Does anyone fulltime in a truck camper. If you do can I have some insight please....thanks
Old 03-06-2016, 08:31 PM   #18

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by runinonempty View Post
Does anyone fulltime in a truck camper. If you do can I have some insight please....thanks
I knew one gentleman who full timed in his camper. However he had mounted the camper on a gooseneck cargo trailer with extra storage boxes etc, so that he could unhook and take his truck around town - sorta a redneck fifth wheel.

I have seen others in campgrounds who full time in a camper and pull an enclosed cargo trailer (7x12 feet or so) to carry all the extra stuff; campers do not have much storage room.

Brian
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:55 AM   #19

We bought our second camper, a 11.4' Caribou, from a couple who had just retired and took it to AZ for the winter. As I recall, they said after about a month they decided they didn't like that and later sold it to us. We have had TCs for the last 35 years and a month or two is about as long as I personally would want to spend in one, especially with one or more other people. I think my wife would say the same thing.

On the other hand they have worked wonderfully well for what we used them for. With a diesel powered pickup they have taken us all over the US cruising at about 70 mph and getting about 15 mpg with just the camper and 13.5-14 towing. We also used them for hunting and other outdoor activities staying for up to a month or more with weekly trips to dump and fill. With 4WD we have gone places a MH could not even think of going and traveled icy roads that would have been impossible without it.

We just got our first MH, a 26' Flair, and I would agree with BrianGlenn, there is a lot more storage space in it than the TC. After we started towing with the TC we did use the toad for additional storage space.

Just my 2c.

Steve
Old 03-14-2016, 07:44 PM   #20

Dodge, er Ram is the only HD with an manual tranny. Unless you really need the manual for off-road, that Mercedes truck tranny is to be avoided. I have one.
Old 03-15-2016, 01:46 AM   #21
laj

would you be willing to give your reason as to why you feel this way? would really appreciate your deeper thoughts on this. thanks.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:10 PM   #22

I'm gentle on trannies, a lesson learned 50 years ago on my first car. This is the 4th tranny in this truck. The first owner thrashed 3rd gear sychro trying to shift it quickly,so when I had an South Bend clutch installed I asked them to open it up and do the sychro. Parts aren't available(back ordered) and certainly not reasonable price. It was much cheaper to have them put in a rebuilt.13 months later 5th gear gave up. This time a Mopar remanufactured, it didn't have. 2nd gear. This time the seller came through with warranty.

With #4 you have to be painfully slow and very careful in shifting. Good luck getting second first time. That's the gear you start out in.

But if anyone tells you an automatic in the bush is as good a manual, they are wrong. A good manual shifting auto is a most 70% as good.

It's a given that the clutch will have to be replaced. I tow a 20' travel trailer.
Old 03-22-2016, 02:01 AM   #23

Our '89 W 250 Dodge Cummins 4WD has the Getrag 360 5 speed manual transmission. It is not known to be the best. The truck has 286k miles on it. Over 200k of that has been while hauling a 4340 lb. Caribou camper and most of it was while towing a Geo Samurai, Tracker, or something larger.

At around 150k I replaced the clutch hydraulic cylinders and rebuilt the transmission and transfer case. The transmission wasn't "bad", but some of the synchronizers were worn and there was a tiny bit of bearing noise. I didn't want it to quit somewhere between OR and WV. I replaced the bearings, seals, synchronizers and the input shaft for around $350.00 doing the work myself. There was nothing wrong with the transfer case, but I put in new bearings and seals while it was apart.

The original clutch is still in place and should have many more miles in it. When loaded and on a grade I start in 1st gear, otherwise, in 2nd. With the Cummins engine I can start at very low rpm which is much easier on the clutch disc.

I'm with Downwindtrac about shifting these transmissions easy, there are some big gears in there which don't slow easily when shifting. I too prefer a manual transmission over auto for moving anything with a lot of resistance, but that could change depending on how well the Flair does this Summer.

Another 2c.

Steve
Old 03-22-2016, 02:26 AM   #24
laj

thanks guys. i prefer manuals for towing, but perhaps i made a mistake. just ordered a new pu with manual to haul a camper pulling my jet sled in the mtns , about 12k. combined weight plus pickup. Guess we'll see if i did.
Old 06-19-2016, 05:12 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
thanks guys. i prefer manuals for towing, but perhaps i made a mistake. just ordered a new pu with manual to haul a camper pulling my jet sled in the mtns , about 12k. combined weight plus pickup. Guess we'll see if i did.
With a manual tranny in the Dodge, they detune the engine because the tranny can't take the power.
With the manual you lose over 100hp and over 250lbs of torque compared to the auto tranny.
skyhammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 11:18 PM   #26
laj

you're correct. you do give up some torque, 240 ft. lbs if you pay the extra money for the asian, 900 down to 660, hp you give up about 45 hp, but thats all corrected with a computer. isn't it the clutch that won't take it, not the trans itself?
Another reason i went man. is i couldn't get the factory air-leveling with the auto, not sure why they wouldn't, just one of their quirks i guess.
Old 06-20-2016, 05:03 PM   #27

I went to Ram's site and built a 1 ton, short bed,SRW, 6.7, Asin tranny, and auto level suspension,Laramie trim,3:42 gears,4X4.
3:42 gears are plenty good, Ford's SRW's only come with 3:31 or 3:55 and no one complains about power.
With the new trannys, you have the option of shifting manually or letting the tranny do all the shifting, the best of both worlds.
skyhammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 03:03 PM   #28

With the new trannys, you have the option of shifting manually or letting the tranny do all the shifting, the best of both worlds.[/QUOTE]

My wife's car is a 2013 Jeep Wrangler, besides rockhounding, it was used until retirement as a commuter, so it had a 5sp manual shift-able auto. In the bush, it's only about 70% as effective as a manual. There are times when you have to use low range or brakes which you wouldn't have to with a manual.