Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2015, 04:39 PM   #1

Which truck will be best for camper?

I am looking to get a truck and a camper. This has been a dream of mine for a few years now and I am finally able to make it happen. I have been looking into toyota tacoma, f150, and Chevy Silverado. I am still not sure which is best, diesle or gas, automatic or manual. I want to hual a camper and be able to get almost anywhere. I am planning on being an active camper, so long miles and possible rough terrain. Basically I want to have a truck that can be reliable and able to tackle most scenarios. I don't think I need a super heavy duty truck, but instead of talking to truck enthusiasts id rather talk to the community that is doing what I want my truck to be able to do. This is also my first truck that I'll be purchasing. Thanks! -Jackie rae
jackierae is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2015, 04:49 PM   #2

Pick out the type and size camper you think you could be happy with, and then find the truck that is capable of hauling the weight and size of that camper. Don't forget the weight of all the things that you will want to bring along with you. Toyota Tacoma is not in the same class as the half ton Chevy and Ford. I wouldn't be surprised if the least you would need to carry a decent sized camper would be a 3/4 ton truck.
Texastbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 04:50 PM   #3

If you are wanting a real TC, a 1/2 ton is not going to cut the mustard. You will need at least a HD 3/4 truck, most of us have 1 tons. Just my experienced opinion
yorgor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 04:58 PM   #4

Unless you want to limit your ability to upgrade to a larger TC, I would strongly recommend at least a 3/4 ton truck. Most hard side TC when loaded will bust 3000lbs. I have an F250 and don't feel like it's enough truck. I would recommend you read all the posts about GVWR, suspension upgrades and tire load requirement. They have been invaluable in helping me to determine if my truck will safely handle the Northern Lite TC I just ordered. Good luck! 👍
FitzBev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 05:00 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When you shop use gross vehicle weights not dry weights. Gives you a better idea of what you need in the way of trucks. The taco and 150 won't give you allot of payload in the bed.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorgor View Post
If you are wanting a real TC, a 1/2 ton is not going to cut the mustard. You will need at least a HD 3/4 truck, most of us have 1 tons. Just my experienced opinion
All good advice, pick out the trailer first, and then based on your comment about wanting to be able to go anywhere, you need to restrict your truck shopping to a 4 wheel drive truck. Even slick grass on the flat can require 4 wheel drive sometimes to start a trailer moving that has sunk in a few inches into the ground. Personally, I agree that you are looking at at least a 3/4 ton truck. Some other things to consider, 5th wheel or travel trailer. For that, first you need to decide if you will need to be using the truck bed for storage, or if you will be installing a bed topper. If either of those answers are yes, than you need to look at travel trailers. Next if you are looking at a larger trailer, say larger than 28 or 30 feet, I would highly recommend the purchase of either a Hensley Arrow or a Pro Pride hitch. They will pretty much eliminate sway and will level the load on a properly loaded trailer. Lots of threads on both the hitches and the 5th wheel/travel trailer choices.

One note: 5th wheels are better for maneuvering in tight spaces if you know what you are doing, and they offer a LOT more versatility in floorplans than do travel trailers, but they also tend to be more expensive, and you lose you pickup bed as noted earlier. All personal choices. Good luck in your search!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 01:24 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Even slick grass on the flat can require 4 wheel drive sometimes to start a trailer moving that has sunk in a few inches into the ground.
Psstttt,*whisper* Camper not trailer.....
trucker101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 06:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by trucker101 View Post
Psstttt,*whisper* Camper not trailer.....
Oops, Okay, you got me on that, good thing you told me quietly, or people might have heard!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 03:06 PM   #9

Thanks for all the advice! ! Any advice on diesle vs. Gas? I will be checking out campers too , although I was hoping to get a used one, and trying not to be too picky on that. Should I reevaluate, and get specific?
jackierae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 03:39 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Oops, Okay, you got me on that, good thing you told me quietly, or people might have heard!
yes, I try not to em bare ass anyone. I do that to myself enough !!
trucker101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 12:52 PM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackierae View Post
Thanks for all the advice! ! Any advice on diesle vs. Gas? I will be checking out campers too , although I was hoping to get a used one, and trying not to be too picky on that. Should I reevaluate, and get specific?

I have had both gas and diesel and if you plan on traveling a lot and in mountains or long hills I would pick a diesel hands down. My choice is Ram or Dodge one ton. I've had extremely good luck with them. For occasional travel and or hills buy gas. Much cheaper cash outlay and less costly when you do repair them. 4x4 with a tall diff (3:73) in diesel and low gear diff (4:11) in gas. Limited slip in both. If you buy used I wouldn't go any alder than 2005. My two cents worth.

Thanks,

Alan

2001 HR Scepter 38PBD 330 Cummins
Old 08-09-2015, 10:45 PM   #12

A lot of good advice here. I'd certainly agree with Allen concerning the gas/diesel question. I prefer a 3/4 ton diesel with a manual transmission and 4wd with slightly higher (3.54) diff. ratio. Both campers we've had from 1979 to present were 11.5 feet. The trucks were a '69 F-250 4wd Ford I converted to diesel in '80 and the '89 Dodge Cummins W250 we bought along with our second camper in '03. We are still using that combo with nearly 300k miles on it.

Our rigs were used primarily for travel between OR and WV with many side trips to see other things as well as the annual trip to EAA Oshkosh, WI and bow elk hunting in the Fall. After using the first camper about 13 years we decided the next one would have the largest water and holding tanks available and a generator to operate the AC and microwave as well as charge the battery when camping in remote areas.

I've learned that one of the biggest obstacles when off the beaten path is trees hanging over where you would like to go, be careful with that. Also, on rough terrain leave the tie downs somewhat loose because the truck bed will twist and if the tie downs are tight it will also cause the camper to twist along with it with is not desirable.

Best of luck with your choices.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 03:11 PM   #13

Any camper beside a pop up nothing less than a 1 TON I learned that the hard way.
Most Hard wall campers of a good size will when you have all your stuff in it water tanks full will come in a 3500lbs and up ONE TON
I have one of the lightest made 10-2 Nothern Lite Loaded it is 3800 LBS
Do not believe sales men or camper stickers Most new people to TC camping get about a 1000 lb weight surprise when all in and done TRUST me on this
abslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:32 PM   #14

I agree on the 1 ton.
yorgor is offline   Reply With Quote