Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-28-2015, 05:44 PM   #1

Winter use of camper

Never used my truckcamper in winter it is now winterized but am thinking of taking it to Florida for a month . Should I not fill water tank until I reach warmer states? Don't think u should run heater when driving ?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2015, 07:23 PM   #2

IMHO, filling the water system after getting to where it is warmer would be the safest.

However, if it were me and I needed the water system I would probably give running the heater a try. You could do that before you left with the water system still winterized just to see how well it worked. We have been in some pretty cold weather with ours and with heat we haven't had any problems, although I can't remember if we ran the heater while driving or not. There is a boot between our cab and camper that allows the sliding windows in the camper and truck to remain open while driving allowing heat from the truck to go into the camper. It also cools it a bit in Summer. We also have a catalytic heater in ours to extend battery time when parked. Be aware that the heater will run the battery down pretty fast when parked in cold weather.

Hopefully, someone with a more positive answer than mine will chime in.

Best of luck on the trip and watch out for bad roads.

Steve

Old 12-29-2015, 09:14 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
We have a similar question. We just got our first TT. We are planning to go West with it starting in Feb. We want to camp along the way to AZ (stopping a day or two at various places). But we were unsure if it was ok to unwinterize it and camp in it as we go. We have a Winnebago Minnie with an enclosed underbelly.
Old 12-29-2015, 04:25 PM   #4

We make annual trips from Wyoming to Arizona in our Lance. You must run your heater the whole time or the mattress will be rock hard and suck the heat from you. If your battery can keep up, good. We run a Honda generator and a battery charger to be sure. You can run an additional electric heater if necessary. Be sure it won't blow the breaker on the generator before you leave. Don't carry water in your tank. Be wary of leaving water in your traps if the heat is left off in the cold. You can pee and flush with a little water. Don't fill the black water up very much. If you get worried add antifreeze or rv antifreeze to the stool to last until you get to a warmer spot. #2 is for rest stops or Walmarts, etc. This is necessary for temps in the low 20's to below zero. Its not necessary if it drops below freezing at night and warms up during the day, except for the mattress part.
Old 12-29-2015, 05:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dix39 View Post
There is a boot between our cab and camper that allows the sliding windows in the camper and truck to remain open while driving allowing heat from the truck to go into the camper. It also cools it a bit in Summer. Steve
I would like to ask you how you like your boot?
What brand is it?
How long have you had it installed?
Is it difficult when removing or remounting your TC?
Have you had any trouble with it leaking?

Feel free to PM if you'd rather.
(I apologize to the OP for hijacking your post. But I haven't had much luck in getting info. on TC boots.)
Bob
Old 12-29-2015, 09:06 PM   #6

We have been using camper boots of one kind or another for somewhere near 30 years. I do like them. Although I've never had the plastic blow up kind we had one with the hoops in each end, one I fabricated with snaps at the camper end and Velcro at the truck, and for the last 20 or so years they have been foam that compressed between the truck and camper. I would guess the one we have now is at least 10 years old and needs to be replaced. I would get another one just like it if I could find one because those I've had haven't caused any paint damage and seal relatively well. I don't know what the brand is. They have occasionally leaked while driving through a severe rainstorm, but if that happens the sliding windows can be closed. I don't think they have ever leaked while camping, but we always have the camper window and curtain closed then anyway. To install it I get the camper most of the way on the truck only an inch or so above the bed and lay the lower part of the boot against the drip shield on the camper and lean the top against the truck cab, then back the rest of the way under the camper and let it down. When taking the camper off it just falls to the bed of the truck. Not a problem at all. I can't tell you exactly where to find one because I haven't been able to find one myself, but some of the other types show up on eBay and by searching for truck camper boot on the internet. If you have a good RV place nearby that would also be a good place to look although it hasn't helped me so far.

I put my reply on the thread in case someone else might have the same question, but feel free to PM me if I can be of more help.

Steve
Old 12-31-2015, 06:55 PM   #7

Dave, I just saw this thread on the forum and although it's about MHs I think it would apply to TCs also. If you're still here and still wondering about using the furnace while travelling check it out here; Running the Furnace while driving?

Steve
Old 12-31-2015, 07:17 PM   #8

The real point is that once you de winterize you need to keep the camper above freezing. It does not matter what you have. That can mean running the furnace all the time or only at night depending on what the daytime temp is. With the slide in camper or TT I would also have a charge line with isolation between the truck and camper. If you are planning on stops with power then an electric blanket or mattress pad is also a blessing. Turn it on as soon as is practical and let it dry out the bed before you get in.
Old 01-03-2016, 05:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvia43 View Post
We have a similar question. We just got our first TT. We are planning to go West with it starting in Feb. We want to camp along the way to AZ (stopping a day or two at various places). But we were unsure if it was ok to unwinterize it and camp in it as we go. We have a Winnebago Minnie with an enclosed underbelly.
Yes, it is.
The heater is the biggest consumer of propane in your camper and will make short work of a cylinder if you let it. While driving, set the thermostat to 45 degrees or so and open all the window blinds. When you stop for the night you can run an electric heater if you have shore power available or a generator if not.
Go to the plumbing department of Lowe's, Home Depot, Ace, or similar. Get a piece of that grey foam pipe insulation and some zip ties. Look under your camper for the low point drains hanging down. You'll likely have two about midway along the bottom of the camper on the same side as the holding tank drain valves. There'll also be one for the potable water tank. Wrap them in insulation and hold it on with the zip ties.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 12:52 PM   #10

wrvond, just curious, but why would you open the window blinds? We've always left ours closed thinking that would retain heat better.

Thanks.

Steve
Old 01-03-2016, 11:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dix39 View Post
wrvond, just curious, but why would you open the window blinds? We've always left ours closed thinking that would retain heat better.

Thanks.

Steve
The sun's heat is significant. I have found it makes a measurable difference. Once it starts setting I close all the blinds. Of course, overcast dictates closed blinds too.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 07:01 AM   #12

Reflectix and vent pillows make a big difference. Cut the reflectix to slide under the blinds. ;-)
Old 01-20-2016, 05:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Reflectix and vent pillows make a big difference. Cut the reflectix to slide under the blinds. ;-)
Yes, this stuff works well.
I use my Arctic fox year round and sometime spends 4-5 days up skiing in the cascades. 10 degrees is the lowest this year and my camper did fine WITH full water tanks. Yes, you will go thru some propane and yes, you will need to pop your generator a few hours during the day.
I use a 2000 Honda so I don't have to listen to it and have 100 watts of solar on the roof that works well when I brush the snow off.
I HIGHLY recommend winter camping as its great fun and very comfortable in 4 season campers.

Tags
winter