Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Truck Camper Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2006, 04:43 AM   #1

How many gallons of rv antifreeze do you think it will take to do my camper I have 2 sinks and a toliet no shower. And do I put any in the fresh water tank and the black water tank what about the drain line can I blow it out with my air compresser ?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2006, 04:43 AM   #2

How many gallons of rv antifreeze do you think it will take to do my camper I have 2 sinks and a toliet no shower. And do I put any in the fresh water tank and the black water tank what about the drain line can I blow it out with my air compresser ?
Old 11-19-2006, 06:18 AM   #3

I would like to hear from some of the experienced campers on this too. The way my dealer had me do it I used less than a gallon. His procedure was to put the pump hose in the antifreeze and run the pump until I see pink in the cold lines of both sinks and the toilet. Then shut off the pump and drain all lines, all tanks (fresh, grey, black, hot water).
Old 11-19-2006, 03:34 PM   #4

Drain all the water out of the unit. Outside there should be a couple of plastic valves. Usually in the back way down low. These are the "low point" valves. Turn them on and let the water drain. Pull the anode from the hot water heater and let it drain. Then stick some foil in the hole and leave the anode out of the water heater. I usually replace the anode. It is about $7 from Camping World.
Go inside and turn the valves to "Bypass". This will bypass the water heater. Then stick the pump hose into the water pump. Start with the faucet farthest away from the pump. In my Lance it is the shower. Run pump, turn on cold water tap. Let run until pink. Then do the hot water tap. Make sure some goes into the drain. Then do the batroom sink, then the toilet, then the kitchen sink. In my Lance it usually takes less than a gallon. Don't forget the outside shower if you have one. Also make sure the outside fill for your water tank has a squirt.
With the Lance setup it takes about 20 minutes to winterize with RV antifreeze.
Dont forget to put some foil over the intakes of the water heater, fridge and heater intakes. It takes just a couple of minutes but it keeps most of the bugs, wasps, and little critters out of those places.
Chet
Old 11-19-2006, 05:01 PM   #5

Ok thanks for your help thought that was the way to do it but wasn't sure.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:47 AM   #6

I use the air method of winterizing. I made a fitting (you can buy them premade) that allows me to hook my air compressor to the city water inlet on my camper. I set the regulator for about 50 psi to avoid overpressurizing the lines. I then open the drains and let the air push all the water out. I also open the faucets one at a time to get any water out. Don't forget the toilet valve. I still use a little RV anti-freeze for each trap and the toilet (water in the tank could damage the drain valve).

This is the same method used by the local RV place and I've used it with success for years. Some people argue that this method can leave some water in low spots, which could freeze. I don't believe it's possible for enough water to remain that would cause a problem.

The nice thing about the air method is that there's no funny taste when you use the camper again and you don't have to start filling your tanks just to flush the system the next time you use your camper.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:23 PM   #7

Harold,
The air method works great. Tried it today. You can get by on about a half gallon of antifreeze with your method. The only thing I would add to your method is to still suck a little antifreeze up with the pump. Maybe a cup or two.
The pump is not part of the "city water" loop. There is a one way valve that would keep the air mathod from clearing any water in that part of your system.
I take it you don't put any antifreeze in your fresh water holding talk. Do you think that draining it is good enough? That is one place that I am worried about putting antifreeze. There is no good way to make sure you get it all out at the beginning of the season.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:58 PM   #8

I blow out the system and then run antifreeze through. I hook right up to the pump and run through everything but the hot water tank and fresh water tank. Less than 2 gals does the job and I always seem to get water out even after the air purge. Scotty.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:18 AM   #9

Took a gallon last night for my Lance 1030.

I even remembered the outside shower.

After Thanksgiving visitors leave, I can do the 5th wheel trailer.
Jumbo Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 11:54 AM   #10

I don't put anti-freeze in the fresh water tank. I know where the drain line comes out of the tank, so I just make sure the camper is tipped in that direction when I open the drain. It would be too hard to get all the AF out of the fresh tank if I poured any in there.

I forgot to mention that after draining the lines, I run the water pump momentarily to purge any remaining water out of it before hooking up the air to blow the lines out.