RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-10-2019, 03:30 AM   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janjim View Post
Well, were I grew up, there is no set number for a couple, a few or several

A couple is most closely associated with 2, but could be 2 or 3. A few 3 to 4 and several is really wide open at 4 to 6.

It's a pickle!!
Oh!, and then there are many, alot, and of course a slew.

I would say these are anywhere from 5 to 20 or more.

Janjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2019, 06:32 AM   #142

Quote:

A couple is most closely associated with 2, but could be 2 or 3. A few 3 to 4 and several is really wide open at 4 to 6.

It's a pickle!!
It was the same when I was growing up and still is for most folks, but definitions can be flexible.

When speaking of people a couple would be two, and they'd be romantically linked. I travel on motorcycles with a friend, and though there are two of us, we are decidedly not "a couple."

Old 09-10-2019, 08:44 AM   #143

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
And then there's a dash, a bunch, a sprinkle. Isn't it great how we can use terms that mean something more or less and make it work out.

I'm still looking for my left handed spanner.
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 09:01 AM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarebear.nm View Post
And then there's a dash, a bunch, a sprinkle. Isn't it great how we can use terms that mean something more or less and make it work out.

I'm still looking for my left handed spanner.
How bout:

A bit o' this and a little o' that... Or, give me some... I want enough... That's plenty... The more the better... Not too much... That way too much... Had enough... get it while the getting good... Faster, please... Correct speed... Sky's the limit... Can't fathom that!

Old 09-10-2019, 11:28 AM   #145

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sorry, but you're a couple of bikers.

Glenn
Old 09-10-2019, 11:34 AM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn and Kathy View Post
Sorry, but you're a couple of bikers.

Glenn
Nothing to be sorry about. "Of bikers" changes the meaning. We're a couple of bikers. We're not "a couple" as it's generally understood.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:51 AM   #147

It's fun to watch the older generations talk negatively about the younger generation because the kids don't know and don't need the antiquated skills we had and used. But, who are the ones we hand the TV remote to or have fix our computers or anything else that requires tech. smarts?
Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 02:40 PM   #148

Burroughs

Quote:
Originally Posted by the sights View Post
Thanks, yes that is it, Joe
This was actually called a comptometer, the first calculator. I Used one at my first job in the 60ís
LaurenC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:41 PM   #149

Quote:

It's a pickle!!
Ever have a couple cold ones. Bet you didn't stop at two.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:26 PM   #150

I hear the expression lately,
There were a ton of porple at party .
Old 09-11-2019, 12:36 AM   #151

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
BIL got t-boned by a young girl following him on the 2-lane highway, (rolled his new truck); he put on his Left Turn signal, and she plowed into him at mid-turn... told him later "she thought that his signal meant it was safe for her to pass"... Hmmmmmm.....
Old 09-11-2019, 06:30 AM   #152

Seems there is more than a gross of posts on this subject.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 06:59 AM   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
BIL got t-boned by a young girl following him on the 2-lane highway, (rolled his new truck); he put on his Left Turn signal, and she plowed into him at mid-turn... told him later "she thought that his signal meant it was safe for her to pass"... Hmmmmmm.....
A few years ago I pulled up past a parking spot and started to back into it, but a young man pulled up behind me. Here I was sitting there with my backup lights on, and he just sat there throwing his arms around and mouthing something -- probably yammering about that old fool in front of him that wouldn't go on. I saw another space further up the block, so I hurried up past it, threw it in reverse and started trying to back into it and danged if it didn't pull right in behind me again.

So, against my better judgement, I got out planning to walk back to him and ask if he had a clue what was going on there, but when I got out he hurriedly passed me on the left and went on.

I had planned to have a couple of words with him, but I wasn't going to stop at two.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:28 AM   #154

Regarding kids and how "smart" and/or "lazy" they are [or are not] these days:

Parents and grandparents actions during kids' formative years have a lot to do with both of the "smart" and/or "lazy" directions a child may partake.

Last eve Linda and I took our 18 yr. old grandson Cooper to a congratulatory celebration/bye-bye dinner two days before he leaves for study at San Luis Obispo University. Christmas Day Coop turns 19.

Our 6'4" 210 lb. super handsome beefcake of an athlete is one of the sharpest fellows I've ever had the joy of being close to. He and I are buds since birth; e.g. the days when in a baby seat in the back seat of my 67 Buick Wildcat [before he could talk] watching his amazement [and obviously trying to figure things out look] as I snapped my fingers and dome light would go on or off. Or, if I whistled a certain way and one or another power window would go up or down. Coop still loves to ride in that Wildcat with me [see the photo]. He calls that Cat the most respectful car on the road! Guess so... with 400 HP / 500 FPT and me as the fun luven driver!

Coop carried 4.3 average in HS and was varsity basketball in a great school team; during sophomore through senior year. He also knows how to work Very HARD! I made sure of that by putting him often on summer jobs in my masonry construction company. My guy can lug some weight! With me often on job sites [being a lifetime weight lifter (benched 400 in my early late 30's through 40's)] I'd often test his metal by placing him in the line-up as myself and one other worker who would "time" the hand off-load of 56, 60 lb. bags of premix mortar [one cubic yard bulk] from a pallet in back of my pick-up truck; and his "neat" staking of all sacks on a fairly close area ground level pallet next to the mixing station. Our best time for 3 of us doing that was just under 6 minutes [less than 6 seconds per bag] - we were rocken that morning... fist bumps were in order! He also carried plenty of buckets and shoveled plenty of gravel during the years. Photos are this July.

Anyway - His math capabilities are superior! His diction is superb. His attitude is great. His humor is superb... and not unlike the days in baby seat in my Wildcat his desire to understand whatever is going on is still such fun to experience.

With that all said... at the restaurant table last eve... one of the last items Linda and I asked him about was: Do you know how to use a rotary phone?
He said no... but if you show me once I'll remember it forever.

Therefore - It taint always just how smart or a good worker you are as much as it it is what you were exposed to during life. That is why our age group [I'm 67] don't ride horses anywhere nearly as much or as well as [except for pleasure] as our grandparents did at close of 19th Century. And, due to the ever increasing compounding-speed of hi-tech advancements it is our grandkids who can understand computers and cell phones way better than we do. Due to "growing-up" training - it becomes intuitive to their brains.

Life goes on, and, on and on... Just hope we can overcome the deterioration of Earth's ecosystem before too many life form come extinct and too many food chains get broken with climate upheavals across the globe. - Myself and others are diligently working on a full-cycle, carbon neutral, liquid hydrocarbon energy solution to that - Cooper is one of my consultants!

Note: Being an oldster with a fairly new phone - photos here are not upright... haven't quite figured this one out yet [those same photos come in upright when copied off email into my folder!]. I'll ask Coop about photo transfer today... before he leaves for College!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0719.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	259940   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0720.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	259941  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0721.jpg