RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-11-2019, 08:00 AM   #155

$15/hr Burgers?

For those of you lambasting the seeming lack of math skills in today’s youth I have one question:

Have you seen the coursework being used in today’s education system for teaching math?

In attempting to “dumb down” the subject matter they have convoluted things so badly that simple logic and arithmetic no longer seem to apply.
If we’d go back to teaching simple arithmetic as what it is without trying to create a “better system” our youth would be much better served.
I have spent time tutoring kids and always go back to the basics and, inevitably, the response of the kids is “this is easy, why don’t they teach us this way” usually, before long, followed by “if we try and do it the easy way you showed us they say it’s wrong”.....

Tip10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2019, 09:04 AM   #156

question

???????? Wonder what you and the others are going to say when the next Ice Age rolls around. Stupid kids and Cows ?

BSHGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:02 AM   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSHGTO View Post
???????? Wonder what you and the others are going to say when the next Ice Age rolls around. Stupid kids and Cows ?

Naaawwww.

Back in the seventies the next ice age was a coming!!
AFAIK it never arrived.....

This is the twenty-teens it’s the great warming that’s a coming now!!
Tip10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 03:31 PM   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal55 View Post
2 is couple, 3 is a few.

No... 2s a couple, 3s a crowd .
Old 09-11-2019, 03:33 PM   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by lo-tek View Post
and that's why i hang out here. i learn a little every day!

Thus the larger ( extinct) Canadian gallon.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:40 PM   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlott2k View Post
No... 2s a couple, 3s a crowd .
Fun though!!

Four is even better!!
Old 09-11-2019, 03:42 PM   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Art View Post
Regarding kids and how "smart" and/or "lazy" they are [or are not] these days:

Parents and grandparents actions during kids' formative years have a lot to do with both of the "smart" and/or "lazy" directions a child may partake.

Last eve Linda and I took our 18 yr. old grandson Cooper to a congratulatory celebration/bye-bye dinner two days before he leaves for study at San Luis Obispo University. Christmas Day Coop turns 19.

Our 6'4" 210 lb. super handsome beefcake of an athlete is one of the sharpest fellows I've ever had the joy of being close to. He and I are buds since birth; e.g. the days when in a baby seat in the back seat of my 67 Buick Wildcat [before he could talk] watching his amazement [and obviously trying to figure things out look] as I snapped my fingers and dome light would go on or off. Or, if I whistled a certain way and one or another power window would go up or down. Coop still loves to ride in that Wildcat with me [see the photo]. He calls that Cat the most respectful car on the road! Guess so... with 400 HP / 500 FPT and me as the fun luven driver!

Coop carried 4.3 average in HS and was varsity basketball in a great school team; during sophomore through senior year. He also knows how to work Very HARD! I made sure of that by putting him often on summer jobs in my masonry construction company. My guy can lug some weight! With me often on job sites [being a lifetime weight lifter (benched 400 in my early late 30's through 40's)] I'd often test his metal by placing him in the line-up as myself and one other worker who would "time" the hand off-load of 56, 60 lb. bags of premix mortar [one cubic yard bulk] from a pallet in back of my pick-up truck; and his "neat" staking of all sacks on a fairly close area ground level pallet next to the mixing station. Our best time for 3 of us doing that was just under 6 minutes [less than 6 seconds per bag] - we were rocken that morning... fist bumps were in order! He also carried plenty of buckets and shoveled plenty of gravel during the years. Photos are this July.

Anyway - His math capabilities are superior! His diction is superb. His attitude is great. His humor is superb... and not unlike the days in baby seat in my Wildcat his desire to understand whatever is going on is still such fun to experience.

With that all said... at the restaurant table last eve... one of the last items Linda and I asked him about was: Do you know how to use a rotary phone?
He said no... but if you show me once I'll remember it forever.

Therefore - It taint always just how smart or a good worker you are as much as it it is what you were exposed to during life. That is why our age group [I'm 67] don't ride horses anywhere nearly as much or as well as [except for pleasure] as our grandparents did at close of 19th Century. And, due to the ever increasing compounding-speed of hi-tech advancements it is our grandkids who can understand computers and cell phones way better than we do. Due to "growing-up" training - it becomes intuitive to their brains.

Life goes on, and, on and on... Just hope we can overcome the deterioration of Earth's ecosystem before too many life form come extinct and too many food chains get broken with climate upheavals across the globe. - Myself and others are diligently working on a full-cycle, carbon neutral, liquid hydrocarbon energy solution to that - Cooper is one of my consultants!

Note: Being an oldster with a fairly new phone - photos here are not upright... haven't quite figured this one out yet [those same photos come in upright when copied off email into my folder!]. I'll ask Coop about photo transfer today... before he leaves for College!

Thanks for posting this. I know some of us poke fun at youth for their inexperience and frame it as stupidity.
In reality most of our youth are pretty smart. Maybe not all are as street smart since they may have lead a more sheltered life, but let me say this... it wasn’t them who lead us into the messes of the world we find ourselves in now!
And another old quote” when you point fingers , you have 3 more pointing back at you”.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:11 PM   #162

After reading all of the comments, I would say a spelling lesson might be in store for most of the old folks that are so convinced the younger generation is not nearly as smart as they are. Of course, I guess if you don't really need to spell correctly to post a comment, than that's just a skill that isn't needed anymore, right??
Hawkeye624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:36 PM   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Art View Post
Regarding kids and how "smart" and/or "lazy" they are [or are not] these days:

Parents and grandparents actions during kids' formative years have a lot to do with both of the "smart" and/or "lazy" directions a child may partake.

Last eve Linda and I took our 18 yr. old grandson Cooper to a congratulatory celebration/bye-bye dinner two days before he leaves for study at San Luis Obispo University. Christmas Day Coop turns 19.

Our 6'4" 210 lb. super handsome beefcake of an athlete is one of the sharpest fellows I've ever had the joy of being close to. He and I are buds since birth; e.g. the days when in a baby seat in the back seat of my 67 Buick Wildcat [before he could talk] watching his amazement [and obviously trying to figure things out look] as I snapped my fingers and dome light would go on or off. Or, if I whistled a certain way and one or another power window would go up or down. Coop still loves to ride in that Wildcat with me [see the photo]. He calls that Cat the most respectful car on the road! Guess so... with 400 HP / 500 FPT and me as the fun luven driver!

Coop carried 4.3 average in HS and was varsity basketball in a great school team; during sophomore through senior year. He also knows how to work Very HARD! I made sure of that by putting him often on summer jobs in my masonry construction company. My guy can lug some weight! With me often on job sites [being a lifetime weight lifter (benched 400 in my early late 30's through 40's)] I'd often test his metal by placing him in the line-up as myself and one other worker who would "time" the hand off-load of 56, 60 lb. bags of premix mortar [one cubic yard bulk] from a pallet in back of my pick-up truck; and his "neat" staking of all sacks on a fairly close area ground level pallet next to the mixing station. Our best time for 3 of us doing that was just under 6 minutes [less than 6 seconds per bag] - we were rocken that morning... fist bumps were in order! He also carried plenty of buckets and shoveled plenty of gravel during the years. Photos are this July.

Anyway - His math capabilities are superior! His diction is superb. His attitude is great. His humor is superb... and not unlike the days in baby seat in my Wildcat his desire to understand whatever is going on is still such fun to experience.

With that all said... at the restaurant table last eve... one of the last items Linda and I asked him about was: Do you know how to use a rotary phone?
He said no... but if you show me once I'll remember it forever.

Therefore - It taint always just how smart or a good worker you are as much as it it is what you were exposed to during life. That is why our age group [I'm 67] don't ride horses anywhere nearly as much or as well as [except for pleasure] as our grandparents did at close of 19th Century. And, due to the ever increasing compounding-speed of hi-tech advancements it is our grandkids who can understand computers and cell phones way better than we do. Due to "growing-up" training - it becomes intuitive to their brains.

Life goes on, and, on and on... Just hope we can overcome the deterioration of Earth's ecosystem before too many life form come extinct and too many food chains get broken with climate upheavals across the globe. - Myself and others are diligently working on a full-cycle, carbon neutral, liquid hydrocarbon energy solution to that - Cooper is one of my consultants!

Note: Being an oldster with a fairly new phone - photos here are not upright... haven't quite figured this one out yet [those same photos come in upright when copied off email into my folder!]. I'll ask Coop about photo transfer today... before he leaves for College!
I have one like that. Looks like Thor. Can squat a Volvo then run 50 miles. I'm kidding about the Volvo. He retook his SATs because they said he missed a math question. When they once again said he missed a question he simply said, "There is an error on the test."

Goofy guy with an easy smile.

A mechanical engineer by training he once surprised me by not knowing something or other about automobiles that people my age generally knew. He said, "Here's the thing. Give me 24 hours and I can tell you everything about any machine out there. I just have never needed to know that."
Smokey3214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:55 AM   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tip10 View Post
For those of you lambasting the seeming lack of math skills in today’s youth I have one question:

Have you seen the coursework being used in today’s education system for teaching math?

In attempting to “dumb down” the subject matter they have convoluted things so badly that simple logic and arithmetic no longer seem to apply.
If we’d go back to teaching simple arithmetic as what it is without trying to create a “better system” our youth would be much better served.
I have spent time tutoring kids and always go back to the basics and, inevitably, the response of the kids is “this is easy, why don’t they teach us this way” usually, before long, followed by “if we try and do it the easy way you showed us they say it’s wrong”.....
I have personnel experience with this, helping my son a few years back with math he kind of showed me what they were doing "I was like what?", I showed him the basics which he said was a lot easier, when he brought his graded homework home it was all wrong per the teacher, the answerwere right but the work shown was wrong, he had to redo it to get credit.
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 01:41 PM   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
I have personnel experience with this, helping my son a few years back with math he kind of showed me what they were doing "I was like what?", I showed him the basics which he said was a lot easier, when he brought his graded homework home it was all wrong per the teacher, the answerwere right but the work shown was wrong, he had to redo it to get credit.
In most cases a college professor cannot just waltz into a class room and teach elementary school, middle school or high school. Gotta go to the dance jump some hoops then only.

The curriculum you mention is the direct reflection of NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND. They had to make the process such that either all went through or all were left behind! 100 percent either way, well mostly they had to push em through as funding depended on them getting through.

The main issue with edumacation is that the system may support formative babies bigly and righteously but once they are born its sorry kid no room at the inn we are all you know making like Kav.

We need a solid system to support the kids, day care by corporations that employ people, not just for those that are below the poverty line but for all. These should be high quality and equal across the hoods then that way the system evolves where there is no need for reduced standards etc, but its gotta start at the starting line and finish at the 9th grade. After that let the blind and open competition begin and may the best achieving win. One application, no names or addresses for all schools period. No secondary apps and all that, just one and done.

In some systems they take a test at 9th to see which way the kid goes skill craftsman vs scholastic science/engineering and thats all she wrote. We need a major overhaul of the system and the thinking if we are to get competitive here on in.
Old 09-13-2019, 09:44 AM   #166

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
Went thru drive-in asking for a dozen burgers, looked at ticket as I handed her my card, and saw "Qty= 10". I told her "There are 12 in a dozen" so she called the shift supervisor, who proceeded to bill me for 11, but without comment, delivered 12... never did check to see how many I finally got billed for on the band card statement :-)
My Zen moment at Starbucks: I went to the counter with a bag of coffee beans. The teenager behind the counter asked: Would you like your coffee grounded?

Well, that's an interesting idea....
HippieDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 03:41 PM   #167

I dont think the people coming out of our schools today could get us to the moon if they had the printed manual.
Half of them cannot write anything in cursive, when was penmanship taken from the list of subjects. In the South a verbal conversation is difficult to undertake , let alone understand, with young people.
Save your political correctness for someone other than me .

Thats my two cents , and im stickin to it .
Old 09-13-2019, 04:19 PM   #168

Let me guess, you still can read and write hieroglyphics. Possibly you might still speak old English with "thy where art thous" and/or use calligraphy.

What our kids need to know and master in the academic world is more advanced than ever before. If you don't believe it, take a look at what they really are learning in school. Penmanship was intended to allow others to read what you wrote. Today's kids never hand write reports because they are all digital. Being able to write with automaticity is important, but cursive is a dying skill for good reason - antiquated. There isn't a single significant historic document that isn't in digital print, but yet our generation and older want to argue about kids not being able to read cursive.

Rib our young kids all you want, but if you paint with a broad brush based on a handful of kids (who really are still kids) working at McDonald's or even Starbucks, then you are missing out on how bright our young professionals really are.

My own two kids are doing math in High School that I didn't touch until college. Even though I can touch type, they can out type me with speed and accuracy.

They may lack what you and I consider common sense at times, especially with things like counting money back, simply because they have limited experience with that skill or possibly because they really are still kids. Their brains are still developing until around the age of 25. Insurance companies figured this out a long time ago and started giving a discount to driver's once they reach 25 because the frontal cortex is usually fully developed by then.

I think our young folks are amazing...my 2.cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddczech View Post
I dont think the people coming out of our schools today could get us to the moon if they had the printed manual.
Half of them cannot write anything in cursive, when was penmanship taken from the list of subjects. In the South a verbal conversation is difficult to undertake , let alone understand, with young people.
Save your political correctness for someone other than me .

Thats my two cents , and im stickin to it .

Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote

« What a day! | Air »