Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-30-2019, 01:35 AM   #1

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
$15/hr Burgers?

Went thru drive-in asking for a dozen burgers, looked at ticket as I handed her my card, and saw "Qty= 10". I told her "There are 12 in a dozen" so she called the shift supervisor, who proceeded to bill me for 11, but without comment, delivered 12... never did check to see how many I finally got billed for on the band card statement :-)
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2019, 05:13 AM   #2

You were pretty hungry!
Old 08-30-2019, 05:56 AM   #3

Lots of expressions and terms we all grew up with are simply not used anymore. If you think the word 'dozen' was confusing, try throwing 'half a dozen' at someone under 30 and see the blank stare you get. Or maybe 'half past' or 'quarter of' when telling someone what time it is.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 06:04 AM   #4

Or the infamous "couple of": Is that 3?
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 06:30 AM   #5

Went in and placed an order for a chicken finger meal. "Do you want the 3 or 6 piece meal?". I answered 3. My total bill was a lot higher than I thought it should be and that was when I noticed she had rung up 3 six piece meals. I politely informed her of the mistake and she got flustered and said "I don't know what to do.....can't you just eat them all? I'm afraid to ask the manager what to do"
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 06:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post
Or the infamous "couple of": Is that 3?
3 would be, "several".
Old 08-30-2019, 06:46 AM   #7

so you finally get the order entered and now it is time to pay for it. suppose the order comes to $11.81. you pull out a $20 and give it the clerk. she keys it into the register and starts to count out coins. you realize you have some coins in your pocket so you pull our $.06 and give it to her. they don't know what to do!

so what is the strategy to correct this? is it to emphasize more math in school? or perhaps better language skills?

no, the strategy is to have you go to the kiosk so the fast food place is no longer responsible for the getting the order right. and pay via credit card so they don't have to make change. so now we don't even have to spend any effort on educating people and having them acquire any skills. yet we have to pay them more ($15/hr) and hope they don't refuse service to you in order to make a political statement. this is not the same world as the one i grew up in.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 06:47 AM   #8

Yesterday at Home Depot we were trying to get some blinds cut to size for the motorhome windows. I told the young woman with a silver barbell stuck through her nose I want one of them to be 50 1/2 inches long. She wrote "Cut 50.5" on the box. So just making conversation I said "are you studying math or the sciences in college?" I went on further to mention most people would have written 50 1/2 instead of 50.5 inches. She said "Really? I'm still in highschool and I don't study anything".

Sharon nudged me and whispered "let it go dear just let it go" knowing I was dying to delve into the "I don't study anything" comment.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 06:53 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
A dozen burgers?? Is weed legal where you live?
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 08:40 AM   #10

Was that at White Castle? Was Kumar there?
gatorb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 08:49 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
3 would be, "several".
Where I grew up, 3 was a few, you didn't get to 'several' until over 5.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:30 AM   #12

Lots of burgers! Where the on sale for 6 bits each?
Old 08-30-2019, 09:32 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Went in and placed an order for a chicken finger meal. "Do you want the 3 or 6 piece meal?". I answered 3. My total bill was a lot higher than I thought it should be and that was when I noticed she had rung up 3 six piece meals. I politely informed her of the mistake and she got flustered and said "I don't know what to do.....can't you just eat them all? I'm afraid to ask the manager what to do"

Try asking for bacon on your egg McMuffin instead of sausage!
Old 08-30-2019, 09:53 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Yesterday at Home Depot we were trying to get some blinds cut to size for the motorhome windows. I told the young woman with a silver barbell stuck through her nose I want one of them to be 50 1/2 inches long. She wrote "Cut 50.5" on the box. So just making conversation I said "are you studying math or the sciences in college?" I went on further to mention most people would have written 50 1/2 instead of 50.5 inches. She said "Really? I'm still in highschool and I don't study anything".

Sharon nudged me and whispered "let it go dear just let it go" knowing I was dying to delve into the "I don't study anything" comment.
One of these years the US may finally realize the self inflicted damage from outdated imperial measures and go metric like the rest of the world. Manufacturers have figured it out years ago.

The HD gal was probably knowingly pulling your leg. Not that I’m a fan of facial decorations either.