Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:09 AM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I seldom use the air horns in anger, but I did scare the dickens out of a 5th wheeler outside of Nashville, TN. We had come off of the by pass when a semi turned over a quarter mile in front of us. Four lanes of traffic were moving smoothly into one lane when a 5th wheeler decided to stop right by the accident and take a picture. One long blast of the horns and he almost dropped his camera. The police had not shown up yet and everyone wanted to keep moving before they shut the highway down entirely. I doubt if he stops to take any more pictures of accidents. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Way to go, you are hereby awarded one "Ata Boy".

historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2008, 07:57 AM   #16

My DH and I have talked at length about the air horn. Our safety driving master (A greyhound driver for over 30 yrs.) Stated that he never uses his air horn. He believes that some of the older folks driving cars would have a heart attack and cause more problems. I am still undecided about it. At times when these misbehaviors of the road pull stupid stunts you want to give them a heart beater just to wake them up.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:30 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Our safety driving master (A greyhound driver for over 30 yrs.) Stated that he never uses his air horn. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I can see where he is coming from. I learned very quickly as a police officer that you never wanted to use the siren behind and elderly person or a woman, they would immediately stand on the brakes.

However, waking up some of these people coming out of rest areas who are driving in the twilight zone is a slightly different matter. They are not directly front of you and if you can't move over, their going to be a new addition to you coach if you don't get their attention. If it will keep my coach from getting bruised, I'll act like a New York City cab driver.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:32 AM   #18

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">However, waking up some of these people coming out of rest areas who are driving in the twilight zone is a slightly different matter. They are not directly front of you and if you can't move over, their going to be a new addition to you coach if you don't get their attention. If it will keep my coach from getting bruised, I'll act like a New York City cab driver. Big Grin Action </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jim, I agree with you 100%. There are many more situations where people appear to be in a twilight zone.

To the earlier comment which I assumed was saying that it is me who "must be a joy to ride with.", I can tell you that my DW is often frustrated by my use of the air horns, too. One of the things that really gets to me, besides people attempting to marry their vehicle to the side of our MH, is tailgaters. I do everything possible to get out of their way. Many times, I've been able to get our MH and toad moved to the high speed lane(usually there isn't another vehicle in sight when I do this) to let the person behind me pass me in the right lane since they had, for miles, no inclination to pass me properly. When a particularly obnoxious tailgater finally does go past me, they often get an air horn serenade. Yep, I plead "no excuse" but it does make me feel better if only for a few seconds. I'm sure that they have no idea why I blasted my horn at them. If they had any sense to make such a recognition, they probably wouldn't have been tailgating me in the first place.

My only defense is that I've driven over 1M miles and in the last 30 years have no tickets or accidents. I've driven in many countries in Europe (Italy is the worst), in all kinds of weather and managed to stay out of problems. I know that I'm not a perfect driver by a long shot and need to prove that in public occasionally by abusing my use of the air horns.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 12:48 PM   #19

Freightliner Owners Club
Chas,

I thought Eddie Foy was talking about ME when he said 'joy to ride with'. LOL!

I'm sure his 'your wife must be a saint' comment applies to both our DW's...

Only Eddie can solve this mystery.

By the way, I found a video on YouTube that shows you how to make your OWN, PORTABLE, SELF-CONTAINED Air horn out of a straw, a pill bottle and a balloon. Looks like it really works!

Make your own air horn

Just blow into it. Think of the possibilities - air horn while riding your bike, while walking around the camp site, or in your golf cart while your buddy is swinging!
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 08:55 AM   #20

I just watched the make your own air horn. My dogs went absolutely crazy barking. I do want to try and make one of them. Gets your attention.

Made me think again about these old folks with the air horn blowing them awake when entering a hwy. I think I will be using the air horn more often now that I have read what some of you think about it. I am one of those old folks that drive the MH, so I really am not making fun of us.

Happymi
Old 10-02-2008, 02:51 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

This is a good post. Of all the miraculous things in our world today, the thing which continues to be most amazing to me is that (with the millions of cars driven by millions of idiots) more cars don't crash into each other and everything around them! Driving is actually a rather sophisticated skill that the "average" person clearly doesn't possess!

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 09:57 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">One of the things that really gets to me, besides people attempting to marry their vehicle to the side of our MH, is tailgaters. I do everything possible to get out of their way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm glad you can move out of their way some of the time. The only other way to deal with tailgaters is to slow down. If you go slow enough they will go around and then you can return to you regular speed. I personally would prefer a rear mounted twin 50 caliber machine guns, but DW nixed that idea. Something to do with federal law.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:51 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
I can tell you at the start of a trip out of Sacramento one Sunday morning, Sacs was behind the wheel and I was just getting settled in for my first nap..(I am one of those people that are so excited the night before we start out that I am up almost all night )..when I heard Sacs say "OH S..." as he put on the brakes HARD!!! I looked up as we were rapidly approaching a Toyota Camry STOPPED on the freeway in lane 3 of 4!! This car of 4 women decided they wanted to get off at the exit they were stopped next to - but they had to wait for traffic in lane 4 to clear . The thing is..they were already stopped...maybe an air-horn would have made them move - instead of the "roadrunner" b-beep horn that was on the Bounder.

I just know that is NOT an experience I want to go through again...

MM
MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 04:29 AM   #24

It's just sad that gross stupidity, total ineptness, and total situational obliviousness aren't grounds for revoking a license!

I may well be in the minority (especially this day and time), but driving is a privilege, not a right. IMHO, it's entirely too easy to get - and keep - a license in the US these days.

&lt;end rant&gt;

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote