Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:15 AM   #15
I was always told that if you cant drive it backwards you have no business driving it forward.

Take a wrong turn in Colorado down a dead end road in an 18 wheeler then have to back out a mile. First 1/4 mile took me forever last 3/4 was no problem.

93 Jayco RK 325
07 Chevy classic crew cab long box LBZ Duramax
Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2014, 06:09 AM   #16
Originally Posted by Horizonchase View Post
I wondered about that myself.
Is not hard to have the same response when the advice is both good and correct.

That comes from 40 years of backing experience.

Practice and patience.

dsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:39 AM   #17
Fleetwood Owners Club
We had a 27' TT that we pulled with a van. I could park that thing anywhere. I live on a main road with lots of traffic and I would get it in the driveway and next to the house in one shot. Now we have a MH. But the funny thing is If I pull a small trailer (like a U-Haul) Its all over the place. I guess that's because after so many years of backing up the long one and rarely using a small one. Before I had the TT I had no problem with a PU or any other small trailer.
" A day without camping is....WORK"
2003 Bounder 35R
3 Jack Russell's
zip0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:41 AM   #18
The shorter the distance from the trailer axles to the hitch - the faster it jack knifes.

Put your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel and move your hand in the direction you want the REAR of the trailer to go.

Use your mirrors always.... and make sure your spotter stays in your mirror. Tell them to move when so they always see your face in the mirror, thus you will be able to see them.

Walkie talkie radios are a big help
Robert & Nancy with "Murphy the EOG"
Murphy has passed on, but Micah and Bogie have assumed the watch! 02 Holiday Rambler 5ver, 2015 Indian Chief Vintage. 98 Coachmen truck camper.
Two Bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 06:24 AM   #19

I live on a busy main road -- four lanes with a left/right turning lane in the center. I have to back my 33' trailer into my driveway from this road. Before we moved to this house, my wife and I went to a large parking lot so we could simulate the perfect approach and backup in the shortest time possible. I am good at backing up and placing my trailer, but I wanted to get this maneuver down pat so I wouldn't hold up traffic for too long or cause any accidents. Now, my wife and I know exactly what to do when we get home from a trip -- it's like clockwork -- I am backed into my driveway in less than thirty seconds. However, even with this short of an inconvenience to others on the road, I still get the horns and middle fingers from the inconsiderate Washington, DC area drivers.

nomad297 is offline   Reply With Quote

travel, travel trailer