Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:34 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
BRILLIANT IDEA FROM SEAJAY ....(maybe)

Here is something I have been kicking around ever since I saw a coach with ''slide outs''.
I want everyone to think about this and tell me why it will not work.
I assume everone knows what a Murphy Bed is. It is a bed that folds up into a large closet that is attached to a wall. It does this for the sake of ''space saving'' inside a small room. I personally have seen them a long time ago up in Md.
Ok. everyone stay with me now .
Most of us have a coach with a queen bed in the back. This bed is handy for sleeping, storing stuff under and throwing stuff on top of it occasionally. In my coach this is the primary purpose for the bed in back. When we travel it is rare that Willa or myself go back for a ''nap'' during travel. If Willa wants to take a nap she will sack out on the sofa or will ''seatbelt''' herself in the passenger chair, kick her feet up on the dash and lean the chair back and take a nap. Logically our ''bed in the back'' is almost completely useless when we are ''on the road''................... Ok here comes the hard thinking part...

One. It is possible to put a ''slide out'' on the back of a coach. I know this to be true because I saw a small coach with one on the ''back'' They are making trailers with slide outs on the ''back of the trailer'' also.
Two .. By putting a slide out on the back of a coach you should be able to make the overall length of the coach SHORTER.... Possibly shorter by the length of the queen size bed which is 6 feet......

Three. Now your question is ''Where is the bed going to go when the slide is closed???????
Four .. Good question . Here is the answer ..........
Five. The ''bed'' would fold up into a box attached to the back wall. It would have a ''latching devise'' that would secure the bed in the vertical position and it could be lifted using hydrolyics or cable or some suitable devise for the purpose. (this could be worked out)
Six.... Here is what you would lose using this method.
A. you would lose the stowage space under the bed
B. you would lose the stowage space on top of the bed where you usually throw stuff because you are too lazy to put it away properly.
  1. You would lose the capability of ''laying on the bed while traveling down the road'' . This may not be the ''best idea'' anyhow because if the driver hits the breaks in an emergency situation and you are in the middle of the bed you could come forward like a cannon ball.
  1. If you wanted or needed to take a nap at a rest area you would have to extend the slide out on the back of the coach and fold the bed down and take your nap or ''what ever''.
E. I know one of you ''wisecrackers'' is going to tell me about ''Baby Hubert'' that takes naps while you are hauling him and his mother down to Disney World with you and your wife and it is essential that you have the ''Back Bed Room'' so ''Baby Hubert'' can take his nap on the road and my idea sucks...... Well, that is ok with me because I wasnt talking to you anyhow because I know that no one can please everbody, so I dont even try.....
This is just an idea that I have kicked around for a long time and I have wanted to get other opinions on it...... Feel free to write your answers and comments , GOOD OR BAD concerning this and I will choose to answer them or ignore them at my pleasure .
Seajay the sailor man
God bless our troops and bring them home soon and safe
God bless our vets .Without them, we would speaking German and saying ''Hay Hitler''........
ps. If you come up with a good idea concerning this I will be glad to pay you ten cents when I patten this idea and sell it to Fleetwood Motor Coaches.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2010, 01:40 PM   #2

I love it!

I think it is a great idea and I hope someone builds it.

Michelle

Old 05-25-2010, 01:44 PM   #3

Makes lots more sense than those Safari MH mattresses that raise/lower from the ceiling.
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 01:46 PM   #4
rf4

Winnebago Owners Club
interesting idea - I will be the first to say won't work for us, while my sleeping baby is 15 y/o ..he likes to sleep on the bed while we drive!! LOL!

I think there is an application for something like this in the market.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:57 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to idenphones
Funny you should bring that subject up!

The DW and I talked about something very similar to that just last night.

My idea was to get "Mr. Sawsall" out and cut the back of our coach to build our own rear slide out.

Just kidding of course but we did ask ourselves why no one has built a rear slide into a coach. Or did they?
idenphones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:06 PM   #6

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seajay View Post
Most of us have a coach with a queen bed in the back.
One. It is possible to put a ''slide out'' on the back of a coach.
Two ….. By putting a slide out on the back of a coach you should be able to make the overall length of the coach SHORTER.... Possibly shorter by the length of the queen size bed which is 6 feet......
Quite a few of us on this forum don't have a MH with a queen bed in the back but I'll toss my comments in anyway. The plan may work with a front engine coach but I don't think it would with a DP. Reason being that the queen bed will be 80" long requiring at least that amount of vertical wall space when stowed. My recollection of most DPs is that the back wall isn't that high because of the engine compartment. Front engine coaches may be possible, unless the manufacturers put something else back there that takes up basement height. Good idea though, hope you can make a buck with it.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:27 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Probably makes more sense than the veranda coach that Country Coach introduced.
bdpreece is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:49 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpreece View Post
Probably makes more sense than the veranda coach that Country Coach introduced.
A screen door for a submarine makes more sense than a ''Veranda'' on a motor home. Of course, that is just my opinion.

Seajay the sailor man ......
Old 05-25-2010, 03:05 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I saw this while surfing around a few weeks ago. Seems like a good idea.

Tourmaster- Constellation Luxury Class A Motorhome
Old 05-25-2010, 03:15 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Dimes View Post
Quite a few of us on this forum don't have a MH with a queen bed in the back but I'll toss my comments in anyway. The plan may work with a front engine coach but I don't think it would with a DP. Reason being that the queen bed will be 80" long requiring at least that amount of vertical wall space when stowed. My recollection of most DPs is that the back wall isn't that high because of the engine compartment. Front engine coaches may be possible, unless the manufacturers put something else back there that takes up basement height. Good idea though, hope you can make a buck with it.
Good thought Dave. I will go one further and use your idea if it is ok.
You are right that DP would have a problem with my idea but consider this next idea.........
You mentioned that your bed was 80 inches long and would not clear the ceiling easily.
Here is the ''hard part''..... (I will type slow in case a Marine is reading this.)
If you could take your bed and split it in about half so that the ''floor piece'' was the depth of a regular sofa, the ''other piece'' would fold easily up against the wall and make the ''back'' for the sofa.
''TAA....DAAAAAHHH''.... You got an 'extra sofa'' in the back of your coach. It is possible you could eliminate the ''sofa'' in the front of your coach or use the room that the ''front sofa'' is taking up for an office space or ''working space'' or some other useless item like that in case you are one of those folks that still works for a living while you are goofin' off in your coach.
I are so ''snart''........ sometimes I scare myself, sometimes.
Seajay the sailor man

Ps. dont tell nobody this but, per chance, if I should gain money in any form concerning my idea I would be honored to give it all freely to a wounded veteran fund to honor men and ladies of every stripe, color, service or corp that have put their life on the line for this great country.....
This I so swear with you as my witness and all others that may read this
Charles R. Cecil .....
''Seajay the sailor man''
God bless our troops and bring them home soon and safe .......
God bless our vets ...ALL GAVE SOME.... SOME GAVE ALL .........
Old 05-25-2010, 03:21 PM   #11

Newell Coach has been doing the Murphy bed thing for awhile. The Tourmaster above and the Newell both put them in a side wall but I don't know why it would not work in the back wall as well. It's possible that the locking device required to hold something like that upright during a hard braking situation might have made them keep in on the side wall (just thinking here). It's absolutely doable, both the rear slide and the bed if there is room under the floor and in the rear area. The only question is what do you gain by the empty space. Both Tourmaster and Newell use it as a TV watching area but maybe it could be an office space with a folding table under the bed or an exercise room . Even our cats won't sleep on the bed while traveling but they sure to love it when we stop, so I am not sure what other space they would occupy instead. ;-)
Old 05-25-2010, 05:58 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Seajay,
Good idea. I've seen a Murphy bed in the rear side at the Tampa Super Show over the last few years. I do not remember the manufacturer (it could have been Newmar). When the bed was stored the area was made into a nice entertaining area.

For us, the rear wall would be hard to give up. That full width closet is very valuable space.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 06:15 PM   #13

It is a valid idea Seejay_er, Seajay. I know murphy beds are available on the internet,as well as plans for the DIY folks.
Now it is proven_ cats(at least Bills), are smarter than humans, his never sleep on the bed while on the road. If involved in a crash loose animals(including human) instantly become living missiles.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:15 PM   #14

Most here - including Seajay - are assuming that the drop-down mattress HAS to be a full sized one in it's upright (closed) position, when all couches that make into beds, are actually quite compact. I have one here in my "media room" which is actually a bedroom used to operate my Ham Radio and computer gear. There is a very nice couch I put in here for when we have extra guests, and it makes into a very large, and very comfortable bed that is Queen size width, and King sized length.

Using that same hide-away scheme in the setup this thread addresses, either an actual, specially designed couch/hide-away bed could be used that complements the use of the extended rear slide's use as a lounging/TV area - or else, the bed portion could be designed to fold compactly into the lower portion of the rear wall - either method leaving good storage space available in the area above the fold-away couch.

OR, another scheme for those preferring it, use of the lower portion of the rear wall for the fold-away bed, leaves room available for a large rear window for better lighting and rear vision.

The best of both worlds!

Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote