Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-25-2007, 09:17 AM   #1

On our way home from Florida a last week, we stopped at the South Carolina visitors center on the Northbound side of I-95. We parked in the Truck/Trailer lot of course. While we were using the facilities a Nissan pickup (nothing in tow) parked next to us. Coming back to the rig, a truck with a fifth wheel was about to back up out of the space that the Nissan was in. I offered my assistance to back him up and between myself stopping the trucks and his wife guiding him we got him out of the space. It seems he didn't see the Nissan in time because a big rig truck blocked his view. The space wasn't long enough to support the Nissan and his rig. He thanked me for the help and parked in another space.

When I was going back to my rig to leave the couple who own the Nissan (about in their late 70's) were returning to their "truck". I politely asked them the next time they come into a rest stop to please park in the vehicle lot and not in this area. I explained that in some stops the space is limited and informed them as to what happened with the fifth wheel. The man then gets loud and says "This is#@!! Truck and this is the truck parking spot!!!" I did get offensive and in a sarcastic tone, I tried to inform him that the definition of truck in relation to the rest stop is big rig truck. He looks at my rig and says "You are driving a pickup." I then said yes "but as you can see I am pulling a 24 foot trailer" and won't fit in the car section of the rest stop." His wife has said nothing and just gets in the truck, he then gets in his "truck" and tells me to @#$% off and leaves.

I don't know about you but I have had to leave rest stops because of cars taking over a large parking space and there were none left.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2007, 09:17 AM   #2

On our way home from Florida a last week, we stopped at the South Carolina visitors center on the Northbound side of I-95. We parked in the Truck/Trailer lot of course. While we were using the facilities a Nissan pickup (nothing in tow) parked next to us. Coming back to the rig, a truck with a fifth wheel was about to back up out of the space that the Nissan was in. I offered my assistance to back him up and between myself stopping the trucks and his wife guiding him we got him out of the space. It seems he didn't see the Nissan in time because a big rig truck blocked his view. The space wasn't long enough to support the Nissan and his rig. He thanked me for the help and parked in another space.

When I was going back to my rig to leave the couple who own the Nissan (about in their late 70's) were returning to their "truck". I politely asked them the next time they come into a rest stop to please park in the vehicle lot and not in this area. I explained that in some stops the space is limited and informed them as to what happened with the fifth wheel. The man then gets loud and says "This is#@!! Truck and this is the truck parking spot!!!" I did get offensive and in a sarcastic tone, I tried to inform him that the definition of truck in relation to the rest stop is big rig truck. He looks at my rig and says "You are driving a pickup." I then said yes "but as you can see I am pulling a 24 foot trailer" and won't fit in the car section of the rest stop." His wife has said nothing and just gets in the truck, he then gets in his "truck" and tells me to @#$% off and leaves.

I don't know about you but I have had to leave rest stops because of cars taking over a large parking space and there were none left.

Old 05-25-2007, 02:01 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Here's where I get to sound like an old f*** . . . in our society, you could once predict most would basically "follow the rules," but things have REALLY changed!

Seems nearly any behavior is part of the change - litter, driving, common courtesy, you name it.

Too bad. Makes me wonder what happened to the country I love so much.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:55 PM   #4

I have seen cars park in the truck/trailer area of a rest area and take up one of the lanes when there was plenty of parking in the car area. I have also seen people park in the drive thru part of the truck/trailer area blocking most all trucks from being able to leave because it was closer tot he rest room. The number of rude people is growing exponentially. LOL.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:43 PM   #5

I don't think he was deliberately trying to be rude (except for his last remark). He may have taken offence to someone pointing out the obvious that he made a mistake. From what I got out of the conversation I really think he believes that because he is driving a "truck" and he is either suppose to park there or is entitled too.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:05 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
This is not quite the same but it comes under the title of rude parking:

At busy Flying J's RV'ers stop/park at the fueling and dump station islands, and have lunch or go inside shopping for extended periods, over an hour, leaving their rigs there blocking access with other rigs lined up waiting.

It's infuriating.
Old 05-26-2007, 07:51 AM   #7

I hear you guys loud and clear. Our society has gradually changed where we have slowly lost ground to the new "ANT" culture. These are those that are defiANT; flamboyANT; expectANT; intolerANT; and take your choice for #1 either arrogANT or ignorANT.

Will it change, maybe so; but, probably not in my leftime, Ken,'04 DSDP....
Old 06-07-2007, 05:34 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HB Phil:
This is not quite the same but it comes under the title of rude parking:

At busy Flying J's RV'ers stop/park at the fueling and dump station islands, and have lunch or go inside shopping for extended periods, over an hour, leaving their rigs there blocking access with other rigs lined up waiting.

It's infuriating. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually I think it comes under the title of "stupid". I have attempted to fuel our rig at the Flying J RV pumps a couple of times. Someone either blocks me in or leave their RV sitting at the pump while they shop, eat, potty, or whatever inside. I gave up trying the RV pump and use the "truck" lanes. I have never gotten bad comments from the truckers for being there, but we do have a 50 foot total length rig and usually get 90 gallons of diesel at a filling. Pull in, fill up, MOVE UP OUT OF THE WAY, then go in and pay.

I find it calms the blood pressure to either exclaim "Darn Humans!" or "There goes another waste of good air!" when encountering the rude and stupid. Another catchy phrase is "They walk among us, and they vote!"
Old 06-23-2007, 05:49 PM   #9

I get a laugh out of the ones that go 55 in the states that have different speeds for "trucks".

It was not in a rest area but at a Ford dealership I worked at that a guy come in wanting seals for the front axle on his truck. I just stood back and watched. When the parts man asked what size axle he had, he did not know but it was a big truck. So after a few minutes the parts man asked if the truck was there. Yes it was out front so he walks out with the customer and looks around and does not see a "big" truck other than the stock rigs. The customer walks up to an F-350 SRW. The parts man explains that that is a pick up and points out the "big" trucks.

So that is how I explain it to "truck" drivers, this is a pick up that is a truck.

Paul
Old 06-23-2007, 06:48 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Another one is Handicap parking. I have hard times with walking up or down stairs They have ramps but you are seen by others and asked why I am parking in a HC space. So I don't have a wheel chair but that doesn't make me any less handicapped. I have told a few who wanted to get mouthy about it that the friendly police officer behind you is going to show what being handicapped means and they usially run, fast!! There are times when I don't have a bad day and park elsewhere, But if I am feeling bad or am in pain, you bet your @ss I'm parking close to the bathroom or whatever. I am lucky in that when I am Not feeling well, I can stay in the truck and let tweet do the shopping, she is Handicapped to but hers is vision so walking isn't a issue and we both have cell phones so if she can figure out where we were parked she can call me and I can meet her. The VA and State Police give those with disability's special tags for a reason. There not just given out for kicks and giggles!
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 03:34 PM   #11

Capt. Dan, one really neat way to deal with those who abuse the handicap parking is to carry preprinted 3" X 5" cards for insetion under their windshiedl wipers with the message "Ignorance is definitely a handicap; BUT, it does not entitle YOU to this parking spot".

Unfortunately those who receive the "card" either do not get it or even worse could not give a d---. Ken ,'04 DSDP....
Old 06-25-2007, 08:57 AM   #12

Maybe it had nothing to do with rules and signs. Maybe the fella just disliked truckers and was hoping to inconvience a few.

On a trip through Ohio I was happy to see RV overnight parking areas in the service plazas on the Ohio turnpike. These are fenced off and marked with big RV ONLY reflective signs.

However at 2 am one of those professional drivers who obviously had a dislike for RV folks parked his trucks diesel engine next to our bedroom window, left it running and turned in. When I got up to see what the heck was the problem I found my MH and his semi were the only 2 vehicles in the RV ONLY lot and lots of open spots in the semi lot. So he'd intentionly parked a foot from me where he hoped it would annoy the RVers.

I moved the rig to the other side of the lot and went back to bed. I'm sure it had nothing to do with rules or signs, just a jerk with a major personality disorder!
Old 07-01-2007, 05:56 PM   #13

I had to laugh at your story! When I was 19, my friend and I drove from New York to Florida in his Dodge horizon hatchback. It's how I learned to drive a standard. He said "it's your turn to drive" and I went "OK."

We headed down I-95 and I saw a sign that said "all vehicles must turn here" I pulled off behind a tractor trailer, and there was another behind us. Imagine my shock when we discovered it was a WEIGH STATION! The sign had said all "Trucks" must exit. I never did find out how much the Horizon weighed...
Old 07-01-2007, 06:05 PM   #14

Boy, all I can say is "ditto" about the human race. What happened to simple respect? I always try to help out drivers and never fail to give a wave when someone helps me out. I have a special 1 finger "wave" for some that make me mad.

To Capt. Dan: I have a son in a wheelchair and so I have a Permit. I NEVER use it unless he's with me and getting out!

As a cop tho, I get to write tickets for those who abuse it!

At Disney he gets on the bus transportation first. Once a lady made a stink because they'd been waiting in line. I told her I'd gladly take her spot in line if MY kid could walk like hers- THAT shut her up!!