Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:49 AM   #1
Camping and Raccoons

So Friday September 28th Iím out camping at my favorite park for what will probably be the last time this year. After dark I started a fire and I decided I would put the dog in the pickup and go for a walk down the gravel road to the back of the park. Iíve done this hundreds, if not thousands, of times. However,,, I forget that at this time of the year there are not many people camping. There were about 5 campers in the front of the park in the RV section and one brave family in the back in a tent. It was cloudy that night and under the trees going to the back of the park it was quite dark. I had with me one of my little $2.50 flashlights but it was flickering on and off and I had to keep bumping it against the palm of my hand to keep it going. As I walked along I saw a raccoon. No big deal, I see him at the park all the time I named him Ricky. I said ďHi Rickyí and he scurried away. A short time later I saw another raccoon. I said ďHi Ricky #2Ē and he got out of my way. Then there was Ricky #3, Ricky #4. At Ricky #5 I got to thinking how Iím out here all alone with a flashlight that barely worked and there was nobody around. I decided to head back. On the way back I saw Ricky #6, Ricky #7, and so on. Around Ricky #12 or so I started to walk faster. There is a spot where there is a culvert under the road to let water into the lake from a slough. The road gets narrow at this part. As I got there Ricky #15 was trapped in the road with me and jumped into the lake. I hadnít seen him there and that startled me. Already a little apprehensive my imagination now took completely over. I suddenly felt like there were 15 vicious man eating raccoons chasing me. I started to run. As I made the turn where the road goes back into the RV section my ass was moving at the speed of an Olympic track star. I skidded into my camping spot, dove into the camper, and slammed the door. After I calmed down I realized how silly I was being and went back out to the fire and cooked some hamburgers. But, I will be a little more careful from now on when I walk down that road to the back of the park.

Caveman CBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2013, 05:56 PM   #2
Glad you made it back alive to give us this first-person account of the terrifying experience.

P.S. I'd consider investing in a better flashlight.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:19 PM   #3
My grandchildren got a kick out of your story so thanks for the entertainment we have raccoons at my house and they have no fear to go on our deck. If I was to see one coming back from the shop I might walk faster also. My wife's suggests you get a big stick. Lol
2005 Country Coach Allure 37ft Tag
Toad 2014 Rubicon Jeep
Ssgritton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:28 AM   #4
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
In the late 60’s my Mom moved to a house that backed up to a wooded area. I was home from college on Spring break. About 2am Mom woke me up and had me follow her silently downstairs. In the kitchen were 3 raccoons who had come in thru the doggie door. They were raiding the shelves that held boxes of cereal and other dry goods. Surpringly, they made very little mess. One looked up from the box he was enjoying and noticed us. After telling the other 2 that they had been discovered, all 3 quickly scurried back out the doggie door. We laughed at their clever and comical pantry raid for weeks. And we both double checked to make sure the door was latched every night after that.
Barb (RVM18), Sena (capuchin monkey, RVM Head Mascot) & Lily (Maltese/Yorkie)
2011 Shasta Cynara 230F & 2012 Smart Car toad, 272 watt solar system
The Journey is Our Destination. Full-timing since 5/18/2011 and loving it.
okmunky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:43 AM   #5
Caveman, get yourself a good LED headlight. Keeps both hands free for Close Quarters Combat.... ;-)
And ditto on a good stout 'walking stick'!
Dodge 2005 Grand Caravan - minicamper at times.
Ford 1988 E150 Action Conversion Van - camper conversion in progress.
Kawasaki 2005 KLR-650 - excursion vehicle.
LeeRevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 03:50 PM   #6
I showed your post to my cousin who I used to camp with. He reminded me of something we did back in the 70's. We were camping at a state park known for their wealth of raccoons. One evening some raccoons got into one of the "secure" trash-cans tethered to a post. We got the bright idea of trapping one inside the can, so we slammed the lid on the trash can with a raccoon inside. Next morning we arose just before the trash truck came by. The man swung off the truck, grabbed the lid, jerked it off and started to pick up the can. A very upset raccoon jumped out of the can and the man yelling,running, and jumping, cursed loudly; while we watched from my camper. Morning entertainment solved.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 04:12 PM   #7
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
So you built a camp fire and left it unattended.. The Racoons were trying to tell you RETURN TO YOUR FIRE .

Smart Racoons. They are good friends with a certain bear named Smokey.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:14 PM   #8
We were camping at a state park in the Florida Keys and I was cooking hamburgers on the outside grill and were planning to eat on the outside table. I saw the raccoon when he got on the table and tried to scare him away by swinging at him. He ducked like a boxer and reach up and took the pack of hamburger buns and took off running. It sounded like 10 more raccoons were chasing him to get to the bread. I guess he got voted to come up and get the bread.

flcountryboy is offline   Reply With Quote