Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:59 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Delayed Take-Off from Greenland

My Military Friends,

Here's one you might enjoy. Just remember, as a non-com, speaking to an officer must be done professionally with all due respect to the rank.....

A US Air Force C-130 was scheduled to leave Thule Air Base, Greenland , at midnight during a winter month.

During the pilot's preflight check, he discovers that the latrine holding tank is still full from the last flight.

So a message is sent to the base and an airman who was off duty is called out to take care of it.

The young man finally gets to the air base and makes his way to the aircraft only to find that the latrine pump-truck has been left outdoors and is frozen solid, so he must find another one in the hangar, which takes even more time.

He returns to the aircraft and is less than enthusiastic about what he has to do.

Nevertheless, he goes about the pumping job deliberately and carefully (and slowly) so as not to risk criticism later.

As he's leaving the plane, the pilot stops him and says, 'Son, your attitude and performance has caused this flight to be late and I'm going to personally see to it that you are not just reprimanded but punished.'

Shivering in the cold, his task finished, he takes a deep breath, stands tall and says, 'Sir, with all due respect, I'm not your son; I'm an Airman in the United States Air Force.

I've been in Thule , Greenland , for 11 months without any leave, and reindeers' asses are beginning to look pretty good to me.

I have one stripe; its 2:30 in the morning, the temperature is 40 degrees below zero, and my job here is to pump **** out of an aircraft.

Now, Sir, just exactly what form of punishment did you have in mind?'
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2011, 12:02 AM   #2

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
Strictly speaking, the young airman was an enlisted man, not a non-com, which is short for non-commissioned officer. I've been both, and retired as an Air Force non-com.

Good story nonetheless.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:12 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rray32539 View Post
Strictly speaking, the young airman was an enlisted man, not a non-com, which is short for non-commissioned officer. I've been both, and retired as an Air Force non-com.

Good story nonetheless.
Picky Picky...I was a non com and when I did something an officer did not like during my 2 tours in Nam my response was " what are you going to do? Send me to Viet Nam?) So many people need to lighten up here.
WeBeGone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:17 AM   #4

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeGone2 View Post
Picky Picky...I was a non com and when I did something an officer did not like during my 2 tours in Nam my response was " what are you going to do? Send me to Viet Nam?) So many people need to lighten up here.
No offense intended...

I worked hard for my stripes and got them "below the zone" in Air Force speak. It's nice when I go to the base hospital or the personnel office and I am addressed by my rank, even though I was medically retired back in '96. Some folks have not been in the military and wouldn't know the difference between an enlisted man, a non-commissioned officer, or an officer. The post was strictly for their benefit.

Thank you for your service in Vietnam.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote