Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:28 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Discovering Texas Hospitality

Arrived in Galveston, Tx yesterday... got set up and threw our 3 dogs in the car to go explore. After playing on the beach, we drove around some more until one of the dogs acted like she needed to "go out". Stopped at side of the road, DW and I got out with the dog leaving the other two inside.

One of the dogs inside the car jumped on the arm rest and hit the "all lock" button leaving us locked out! And, it was only about an hour before dark.

We walked to a nearby liquor store where I went inside to explain my problem and ask for a phone book. One nice young lady behind the counter asked me if I'd like to borrow a "slim Jim" instead! I tried it but quickly found that I wasn't cut out to work with those types of tools so I returned it to her and once again asked for the phone book.

They gave me the phone book but the other young lady took out her cell and called her husband to come out and help. He showed up 20 minutes later but while we were waiting by our car a very nice lady pulled over in her Lexus and asked if we'd like to come to her house to be more comfortable while we waited! The owner of the liquor store also offered us a cool drink while we waited.

When the young man arrived to help us, he was armed with a kit which allowed him to open our door. I tried not to think about why these folks had some of these tools . I asked what I owed him and he said $5. I happily gave him $30.

We had been in Texas for three weeks already and hadn't really seen the world famous Texas hospitality... that is until we got to Galveston! Maybe it didn't hurt that we had just taken off our California plates and put on our brand new Texas plates!

Thank you Galveston!

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2010, 08:34 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Rick,

I'm sorry he asked you for the $5. Typically, a Texan would say, "That's OK - just pass it on to the next person you meet who needs a hand."

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:45 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yep, Rusty is right. I try to pay ahead and get others to do this as well. That is the true Texas way to help another person.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 11:12 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Now I'm wondering...a true Texan just wouldn't accept payment for helping someone out of a jamb. Would we?
Old 03-06-2010, 01:39 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

You guys are awsome.

In fairness, he was a young man and I didn't give him a lot of room to wriggle out of taking the money.

I'm gonna like it here.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 03-06-2010, 01:50 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ricky and Nancy, while in Texas, you need to make a visit to one of the Texas Boomers Rally. Love to get the chance to meet y'all. If you venture up to the NW area of Houston, give us a shout and we can see about getting together for a plate of Tex-Mex.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 03:08 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Hey Ken, thanks so much. I've read about the Boomer Rallies and they sound like a lot of fun. We'll have to put that on our list for the next time through. And thanks as well for the Tex Mex invite! We'll sure add that to our list as well but our plans call for us to head out in the morning to Lake Charles, then to New Orleans on our way to see the Space Shuttle launch scheduled for April 5th.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 03-06-2010, 03:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
... I tried not to think about why these folks had some of these tools . I asked what I owed him and he said $5. I happily gave him $30...
He probably had the tools to do that because he gets lots of work doing that. Back when I was in high school (many years ago), I had friends that drove around with basic tools and jumper cables. They would make $$ helping folks with minor repair work, water for overheated radiators, a couple gallons gas for folks who got stranded somewhere because they forgot to get gas. Not to forget the ever popular dead battery. They could even unlock your car for you... even if you weren't there! I even had a friend who would kindly pull your car out of the mud for a fee after someone sent you down a "short cut". He would then split the cash with the person who sent you down the short cut. Well to do tourists in FL were profitable. Kinda nice making $$ off them when they tended to treat us like criminals or garbage. Granted, my friends looked (and were) dopers. They could strip a car down in minutes (and did). But the tourists didn't know that. Just because we were "locals" tourists didn't think very highly of us. Of course things may have changed since the 1970's. But then I also recently lived in a tourist area in NC where "locals" were often treated the same way.

If you had to call a locksmith, how much would you have paid them? Why was someone who went out of their way to help you out be worth less?
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 03:49 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Gosh, Lorna. I don't know what to say.

You're not from Texas, are you?

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 03-06-2010, 04:23 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorna View Post
Why was someone who went out of their way to help you out be worth less?
Its just a Texas thing I guess.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:34 AM   #11
doc

Appalachian Campers
Naw, not just a Texas thing. I think my mama would have been upset if I had actually charged someone to do something as trivial as lock-jocking a door. It is all about the way you were raised. Not kicking the offer or even the kid for taking the offer just the 'charge'. Glad it worked out that easy for you.
There used to be a bunch of us in the old days who would go out and help people over a steep hill when we would have a snow/ice storm. Not because we wanted money, but rather because it was fun and we liked to show off how "macho" we were. Boy, now that was a LONG time ago
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:38 AM   #12
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Rick O,
Darn! We live in Texas City, only 14 miles from Galveston. I wish we had know you were around and we could have had an eye-ball meet.

I also am surprised you were asked for any money. If it had been me I'd have just broken the window and unlocked the doors for you (Just kidding.)

The next time you are through the area, give a hoot-n-holler for a sit down.

And, if it ever happens again, call the local police. Many are adept and carry slim-jims. As for the "kit" the gentleman was carrying, maybe with his wife working at the liquor store many a "want-more-alcohol" types were always locking their keys in their cars. I do remember in the 60's and 70's riding around with an open container, sipping away, and as passing by a police officer, tipping him a salute of cheer. Ah! Those days are gone forever. (Good thing!)
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 12:30 PM   #13

AAAAHHHH Texas

I was riding my bike home from work one early evening and a pick'um'up truck stopped about 100 yards in front of me off the road. I got worried as I approached that it was a drunk that didn't like bicycles. Then he leaned out his window and pointed at the ground. There right in my path was a rattler. I stopped and thanked him. As I stood there a moment he got a worried look and finally said, you can go on he's mine. Oh well didn't get to bring the dinner home that night
Helotes2010 is offline   Reply With Quote