Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-26-2013, 05:43 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Nothing more to say......

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92TNTRacing View Post
Pull the guy over and tell him what he is doing wrong. "Protect and serve" is the job. Trooper did neither that day, FAIL!!
Well said........

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2013, 06:04 PM   #16

Jayco Owners Club
I got pulled over in California for driving the speed limit. The officer said he was concerned that I was going to get rear-ended. I was NOT in the fast lane.

I think he did the right thing. Police officers are NOT above the laws but sometimes have to do things they would cite an average citizen for. None of us are out there having to put up with the dregs of humanity like these guys are, so I'd say that some need to consider that and give this cop a pass... He did the right thing.

Old 12-26-2013, 06:14 PM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
Driving on I75 in KY, I sware no one here knows what the left lane is for. I get in it and they hop in front of me and slow down.. no one wants to be passed by an RV!!!!
Mario-John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 06:19 PM   #18

If the driver had moved over one lane to allow the cop to pass, then moved back to the left lane, nothing would have ever happened.
The cop just wanted to get down the road. Here's the progression and escallation of his communication.
1. I'm a cop in the left lane, every one should move out of my way.
2. If you don't move over, I'll get really close to let you know you are in my way.
3. If you are so silly as to think the law applies to me the same it applies to you and everybody else, I'll turn on my lights and siren to get you out of my way.
4. Once you are where I think you should be, I no longer have time to fool with you and will head right back to the left lane and get on down the road.
BTW, don't be concerned about laws like tailgating, multiple lane changes, or signalling before changing lanes. Those things do not apply to me.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 06:37 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
I was taught in Driver's Education class to drive right and pass left on four lane divided highways. When you are safely pass the vehicle then move back into the right-hand lane.

Nowadays there are multiple lanes to use. I've seen up to 8-9 lanes all going in the same direction. Now that's insane!

There are signs all over this country on multiple lane freeways that basically state to the effect that slow drivers must use the right lane. BUT one requirement for that to work is that people have to read and understand English.

Another problem that I see happening way too often is people not using ALL of their mirrors. My eyes are constantly moving from front to sides to rear, etc. I am fully aware of what's happening around me at all times. That is the only way to drive defensively and stay out of an accident. When I see a patrol car approaching me in the #1 lane which is where they travel most of the time, I move over well in advance to allow them to pass quickly without hindering them.

This person obviously had no clue or no brains. I agree with another poster, the officer made his point without stopping the motorist or giving them a ticket for impeding the flow of traffic.

Yes, there are places in California where if you are not driving with the flow of traffic no matter what speed they are all traveling at, you can get a ticket even if you are doing the speed limit.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 12-26-2013, 06:50 PM   #20

Dr4film. I agree with most of what you say except for 1 thing. You say the officer got his point across. I would bet if you were to be able to find that motorist he or she would not have a clue why the officer A tailgates them so close, B turned the lights on or C drove off after they started to pull over! They are probably still cursing that cop that doesn't know how to drive and made them pull over then changed his mind. In their mind they did nothing wrong.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:35 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Well, if that driver couldn't figure it out then I stick with what I stated before. They obviously were clueless on how to drive correctly on multiple lane freeways but you have to have a brain in order for that to happen.

It's not rocket science when you find a patrol car which is THAT close to you what you should do. The officer doesn't need to put their lights on unless the person is drunk, stoned or ignorant. This one was ignorant.

That's why the lights went on. By the way one poster mentioned about improper lane changes. There were no improper lane changes. It is the law to back off when an emergency vehicle has their lights on to allow them and the vehicle they are following to pull over to a safe area on the side of the highway.

The point the officer made to the driver of that car was that if they intend to drive slow, you do it in the RIGHT LANE.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 12-26-2013, 07:41 PM   #22

Triple E Owners Club
Right on Dr4Film.

I couldn't agree more.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:49 PM   #23

X2 Dr4Film. The officer most likely has more valuable things to do than stop to site the moron. After all he made his point, and the moron in front probably has some dry cleaning bills to pay now to get those yellow stains out of his pants.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:58 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Maybe it was someone's 81 year old mother and some how she ended up in the left lane........left exit ahead??? She thought// I have seen elderly folks drive exactly like the video on here.......same lane same speed........
Old 12-26-2013, 08:08 PM   #25

Personally I believe the Trooper was correct. He came up behind the guy, Gave him a chance to take the hint, and mover over. Idiot didn't take the hint. So the Trooper Blue lighted him, and then gave him a break by not writing him a ticket. Hopefully. Lesion learned.

Terry and Shay, Lazy Campers
terryallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:28 PM   #26

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Maybe it was someone's 81 year old mother and some how she ended up in the left lane........left exit ahead??? She thought// I have seen elderly folks drive exactly like the video on here.......same lane same speed........
Then someone's 81 year old mother shouldn't be driving any more. I'm sorry but I have zero tolerance for ignorance or inability while on public roads. I spend an awful lot of time on the road and see way to much of it. My kids are out there driving and it scares the hell out of me when I see simple rules and common sense not followed. I only hope someone slaps me upside the head and takes my licence away if I get to the point where I'm a danger on the road.
Jmo.
Sorry for the rant.
Dave
Old 12-26-2013, 08:37 PM   #27

Quote:
Maybe it was someone's 81 year old mother and some how she ended up in the left lane...............
If you accidently get in the wrong lane, accidently get back in the correct lane. They had no problem getting back over with the polices officers lights on.

Quote:
.left exit ahead??? ........
Clearly not for a while. This is the classic case of stupid. Someone see's an officer on the road and suddenly they have to do 10 under the limit in fear of getting a ticket. They cause accidents on the road due to their stupid driving. I was going through Chicago a few years ago and the speed limit was 65 MPH. I could not figure out why everyone was doing 55 MPH. So I pass everyone on the left doing the speed limit. Well a mile or so ahead there was a police officer doing 55 MPH. We pulled up next to him and smiled and waived. They also smiled and waived. You could tell by their face they were messing with stupid people. It was many miles before we finally seen headlights behind us.

In the motorhome I drive slower than in my car (s). But I do not use the left lane at all. The only time you will see me there is when I pass someone slower than me. But I will speed up some to try and not make to many people mad. But I also get over ASAP.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:23 AM   #28

The car was overtaking those in the centre lanes so is not in the wrong so what is the problem. The cop was engaging in predatory driving in a non-emergency situation (with no siren or lights on) so was clearly in the wrong. He was driving so close that the driver in front would not have been able to see the lights flashing. Simple.

BTW, even when they have sirens and lights running, emergency vehicles don't have any specific rights to disobey normal road rules with impunity and if they do and things go wrong, they can end up in a lot of trouble.