Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-02-2008, 05:23 AM   #1

The other day, someone at a store in our town read that a methamphetamine lab had been found in an old farmhouse in the adjoining county and he asked me a rhetorical question, ''Why didn't we have a drug problem when you and I were growing up?''
I replied: I had a drug problem when I was young:
I was drug to church on Sunday morning. I was drug to church for weddings and funerals.
I was drug to family reunions and community socials no matter the weather.
I was drug by my ears when I was disrespectful to adults.
I was also drug to the woodshed when I disobeyed my parents, told a lie, brought home a bad report card, did not speak with respect, spoke ill of the teacher or the preacher, or if I didn't put forth my best
effort in everything that was asked of me.
I was drug to the kitchen sink to have my mouth washed out with soap if I uttered a profane four-letter word.
I was drug out to pull weeds in mom's garden and flower beds and cockleburs out of dad's fields.
I was drug to the homes of family, friends, and neighbors to help out some poor soul who had no one to mow the yard, repair the clothesline, or chop some firewood; and, if my mother had ever known that I took a single dime as a tip for this kindness, she would have drug me back to the woodshed.
Those drugs are still in my veins; and they affect my behavior in everything I do, say, and think. They are stronger than cocaine, crack, or heroin; and, if today's children had this kind of drug problem, America would be a better place.

Betty Boop(Our white Boxer)
HuBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2008, 05:23 AM   #2

The other day, someone at a store in our town read that a methamphetamine lab had been found in an old farmhouse in the adjoining county and he asked me a rhetorical question, ''Why didn't we have a drug problem when you and I were growing up?''
I replied: I had a drug problem when I was young:
I was drug to church on Sunday morning. I was drug to church for weddings and funerals.
I was drug to family reunions and community socials no matter the weather.
I was drug by my ears when I was disrespectful to adults.
I was also drug to the woodshed when I disobeyed my parents, told a lie, brought home a bad report card, did not speak with respect, spoke ill of the teacher or the preacher, or if I didn't put forth my best
effort in everything that was asked of me.
I was drug to the kitchen sink to have my mouth washed out with soap if I uttered a profane four-letter word.
I was drug out to pull weeds in mom's garden and flower beds and cockleburs out of dad's fields.
I was drug to the homes of family, friends, and neighbors to help out some poor soul who had no one to mow the yard, repair the clothesline, or chop some firewood; and, if my mother had ever known that I took a single dime as a tip for this kindness, she would have drug me back to the woodshed.
Those drugs are still in my veins; and they affect my behavior in everything I do, say, and think. They are stronger than cocaine, crack, or heroin; and, if today's children had this kind of drug problem, America would be a better place.

Old 10-02-2008, 05:38 AM   #3

Very well put, thats how I was brought up. Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:23 AM   #4

As the proud parent of a recent college graduate (who probably tried some stuff) I can say that the O.P.'s remarks hit it right on the head.

We brought up our daughter just as we were. You experience all of life that you can and have respect for yourself and others.

The idea of a METH lab in anybody's neighborhood is scary, but I believe they are out there. My biggest pet-peeve (being the paramedic that I am) is when people use the phrase "Oh, it'll never happen here".

This country needs to wake up and realize that we have many more issues to deal with on our own soil instead of "saving" everybody else!

She - driver in training
Loveshack1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:34 AM   #5

HuBee, unfortunately there are very few "wood sheds" left, and for those that are still used for your stated purposes, the adult today would be branded as some sort of monster.

The type of "drugging" you spoke of stayed with many of us and provided the basis for us to learn that we and we alone are responsible for our own actions. Maybe in some future generation that type of drugging will again be recognized for its true value.

Too many times today parents expect the school system or some other entity to teach values that are at best distorted where no one is held accountable. Some folks today feel that if you can sue someone it is like playing the lottery.

Thank you for reminding us that an earlier form of "drugs" sure made for a different society than we are experiencing today, Ken...
Ken Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:16 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Hugh,

I'm a Scoutmaster and, with your permission, I would like to use your post when I talk with my Scouts. They are a great bunch of boys, but I often feel very outnumbered in my battle to keep them on the responsible path to adulthood.

We spend a lot of time in the woods and it's a sad time when I have instruct them in how to recognize that you are coming up to a meth lab. I tell them if you smell ammonia, turn around and go back the way you came. If you encounter someone in the middle of the woods who does not seem to fit in (and has rotten teeth - another sign of meth use), get out of the area immediately and alert the authorities.

It's important to remember how we were brought up, but even more important to make sure that we instill the same discipline in our kids through our example and our deeds.

Thanks for helping us remember the good ole days!
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 04:52 AM   #7

Tom,
Please use this to continue your wonderful work with the young folks.

Old 10-18-2008, 06:45 AM   #8

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I was drug around the yard as mother took a switch to my hide. Dad would just box my ears and he was a boxer and it were not pretty.
Great post thanks for the memories and for a sharing a great post.
MtManLee is offline   Reply With Quote