Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:50 AM   #1

FELL off the 16' ladder!

I thought I would wash the roof of the motorhome maybe recoat it . so I got out the 16' ext ladder WELL I did it I FELL off the ladder ! good thing I was on the first step!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2016, 09:46 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First step not so bad.. I've done the last step however. That hurt.

So you know 16 feet means you take 1 second to hit the dirt, and you will smack the ground just over 20 MPH... OUCH. trust me on that, OUCH. Don't ask why I did the math....

Old 01-10-2016, 03:03 PM   #3

Ladders

We USED to have wood sideing & Trim, I Fell off my 16 Ft. ladder while Painting the Trim. Thats why i now have Alumium Sideing and TRIM.
Old 01-10-2016, 03:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyman View Post
I thought I would wash the roof of the motorhome maybe recoat it . so I got out the 16' ext ladder WELL I did it I FELL off the ladder ! good thing I was on the first step!
Oh so funny

Last spring I was standing in the bucket of my tractor elevated about 8 feet up in the air using a chainsaw to trim branches. The bucket is big and flat bottom .. safer than a ladder....right? When I came to, the chainsaw was just purring along right next to my head. Darn good chainsaw I'll tell you. It took a licking and just kept on ticking!. Me, well a trip to the emergency room, several XRays I was declared physically sound, but the ER doctor said the jury was still out on my mental status!
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 03:20 PM   #5

Carolina Campers
A friend of mine fell off the top of his 5th wheel 4 1/2 years ago. They were across country from home but in our neck of the woods. He punctured a lung and cracked ribs. Their grown son had to fly in since she wasn't able to drive the rig (little bitty thing barely 5 ft tall). Falling isn't the problem, LANDING IS!
southernlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 05:38 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
And, as anyone that has fallen off anything remotely high, and only a "second" of free fall, it's amazing on how many thoughts can run through your mind on the free fall. Lol
Old 01-10-2016, 05:44 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
The first thing that came to my mind on the way down from the scaffolding was " boy this is going to hurt"
Mike
Old 01-10-2016, 06:20 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
When I was in high school, my father decided to repaint the house. I don't remember the length of the ladder, but the gable was equivalent to a 2 story house and I was at least 3/4 of the way up scraping off the peeling paint. I leaned out a little too far to the right and the right foot of the ladder started to sink into the ground. My father tried to hold the ladder but couldn't. The ladder started sliding toward the right all the way down the side of the house. All I could think about was the fast approaching ground. At the last second, I pushed off the ladder, hit the ground, and rolled several feet. Fortunately, my young body absorbed the contact and except for being a little sore, I was alright. If that happened today, in the three to four seconds it would take me to hit the ground, I would be mentally reviewing my will.
CARLnJANIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 06:34 PM   #9
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
It is hard to beat the safety of the Little Giant ladder. The wide stance on each end really stabilizes them. The newest ones are even better. I took mine to a local powder coat shop and it now matches my rv. With a lawn chair hook fastened to my rear ladder it rides along in style. I can actually climb right onto the ladder and up to the roof without taking it off.

Recently I bought a Harbor Freight scaffold. Adding a rail on the back side and chains that can be clipped on and off on each end made this Winters wax job nice and safe. New rain gutters on the house was a breeze.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 08:33 AM   #10

You gotta watch for those "gravity waves" that roll through.

You are standing there minding your business and things just fall for no reason...That is a wave of gravity passing making things suddenly heavier...happens whenever one steps on a scale too...
Old 01-13-2016, 11:00 AM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
wave of gravity passing making things suddenly heavier...happens whenever one steps on a scale too...
If that's the case, I must be riding the crest. Woo Hoo, Hangin' 10 (x 27), baby!
CARLnJANIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 11:09 AM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
It’s not the Vf=Vi+at that hurts you, it’s the F=m(deltaV/deltaT).
Old 01-13-2016, 11:17 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I just had to present a Ladder safety preso this morning on a team conference call because an employee died falling off a 16' ladder. And our team of sys admins and developers will never be on a ladder at work.

But it was actually good in that I now know I've ALWAYS had the ladder too upright before !

Tips and Techniques for Safe Extension Ladder Setup and Use | The Family Handyman
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ladderCapture.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	116438  
Old 01-17-2016, 10:35 PM   #14

I just stepped off the 2nd rung thinking I was on the ground, fell backwards, luckily missed the concrete steps. I would have laughed if I'd been conscious. Then when I woke up/came-to, I hurt so much I HAD to laugh to keep from moaning.
Strange, I used to bounce some years ago_.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote