Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:40 PM   #1
Fleetwood Owners Club
Fishin' the Alaska Highway

Since fishing is a big part of my life and its one of the reasons I wanted to go to Canada and Alaska, I made it a point to stop at camp grounds that advertised fishing in their lakes or ponds.
“Did that campground advertise fishing”?
“I think the sign said they had a private pond”.
“If it does, are you ready to stop for the night. I sure would like to do some fishing”.
It was getting over in the evening when we pulled in a “The Shade Tree” campground. I parked the coach and went into the combination office, grocery store, drug store, filling station, post office, tanning parlor, fake fingernail store and garage.
“You got any campsites”?
“ Got one left, fifteen bucks, Canadian”.
“The sign says you got a fish pond. Any fish in it”?
“Yep, I stocked it this past spring. Just release what you catch”.
I handed the guy fifteen dollars and registered. We pulled around back and discovered that the one remaining campsite was between the dumpster and the outhouse. It was wider than the coach, but just a little. I eased the coach back and the right rear tandems went into a hole about two feet deep.
“I’ll level the coach later. I want to go fishin’ while its still light outside”.
“You gonna set up the dish so I can watch Wheel of Fortune”?
“Willa, I don’t have time. I want to get to the fishing lake before it gets too late. The guy said that he had stocked it with trout and I ain’t done no fishin on this whole trip and here is a good spot because it’s a stocked pond”.
“What about the wheels in the hole? The coach is so unlevel that I cant keep the pans on the stove to cook supper”.
“I’ll level the coach when I get back. I’m goin fishin”.
Willa was not real happy about this but she didn’t say anything.
I grabbed a fishing rod from the back of the coach and picked up a box of tackle and started following the sign that said “FISH POND”. It came as a surprise that the fish pond was in the middle of a large meadow with several cows inside a barb wire fence. I climbed over the fence and ripped the knee out of my jeans. I started walking across the meadow and the cows started following me. I guess they thought I was there to feed them. While watching the cows following me I stepped in to a nice fresh cow pie. My foot went up to the ankle and my sneaker immediately turned a dark shade of “cow poo”. Undaunted, I proceeded toward what I assumed was a pond. I arrived at the edge of the pond after fighting my way thru chest high weeds and cat tails.
The “pond” was about as big as a small swimming pool and it looked like it may be three feet deep in the middle. There were some trees on the far side of the pond. I got out a lure and tied it on the line while three cows watched. I got tangled in the weeds twice trying to cast the lure and on the third try I succeeded in casting all the way across the “pond” and tangling the lure in a tree. Frustration overcame me and I gave the lure a mighty heave. I succeeded in breaking the rod and the line and dislodged a big hornets nest. It’s amazing how hornets seem to know just where the person is that has demolished their home and somewhere between ten and twenty thousand hornets sought revenge upon me. In my retreat I managed to step in another “cow pie” with my “still clean” sneaker. I abandoned the broken rod and the tackle box and beat a hasty retreat back toward the camper. I had forgotten about the barb wire fence. I must have hit the fence doing about forty miles per hour. My body wrapped around the top strand and I ripped my shirt as I tumbled over the fence. The cows watched the whole procedure with great interest.
Ragged and bleeding, I made my way back to the coach. I had ripped my pants, torn my shirt, scratched my belly, broke one of the best graphite rods I ever owned and had lost a whole tackle box full of lures. My sneakers were the color of cow poop and I smelled like a cow pasture and I had missed supper.
“Well great fisherman, where are the fish”?
I ignored the question.
“Have you been wading in cow poop”?
I ignored the question.
“I guess you know that you have missed supper and I have missed my Wheel of Fortune”.
“Quit makin' stupid comments and get me a bucket of water and some more clothes”.
I really should not have said that. The change of clothes was tossed out the door along with a clean pair of sneakers. She simply set the bucket of water on the step and slammed the door.
I went to the outhouse and washed off. I put on the clean clothes and went back to the coach to find Willa had already gone to bed and there was a can of cold beans on the table with a spoon beside it. I watched a little French television and slept on the sofa again.
Seajay the sailor man .

Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2010, 08:02 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I was scared too death you weren't going to get your pork'en beans Seajay. And being a Texan and all, it ain't a cow pie, its a cow pattie. When they get good and dry, they are good kindling for starting a "campfar" or you can organize a cow pattie tossin contest. Its best to use the really dry ones for tossin.

Oh, tell Willa that Vanna had that same dress on she wore three weeks ago. Slit high and cut low.

Jim with Judy
08 38' Bounder DP
Toads: 08 Jeep Wrangler Sport; 11 Chevy Malibu
Elkhartjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:56 PM   #3
Newmar Owners Club
Must have been the eastern side of the country...or down the middle. LOL. Great story! Look into a trip in the BC interior....hit the Kootenays and Shushwaps for some unbelievable scenary and world class fishing.

I almost got into a tussle with some locals in a Zapata gas station last year SE of Laredo). I was in there on the way to a rig getting some breaky and quizzed up a few of the guys filling their giant bass boats with fuel and obviously preparing to fish. I asked 'em where they're going fishing.
"Well in the lake there, son"
"What lake?"
"Well right over there....some of the best bass fishin' in all Texas right there!"
"Where? Over near that slough with all the trees growin' outta it?"
"Slough? That IS the lake!"
I kinda laughed as I honestly wouldn't load anything larger than a kayak in that water...let alone something that cost me a year's salary. One of the other fishermen there was listening and laughing. He said he recognized my Canadian accent and knew where the conversation was going. LOL.
Dave and Kara - Weekend Warriors 2010 Newmar Bay star 3202, Ford chassis, Ford Ranger Toad, Can Am ATV
Central Alberta, Canada
HMXDave is offline   Reply With Quote