Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Most of the security rules and regulations are for show. Flying for instance. Many of you have in your pocket an instrument that can deliver death, or be made to deliver death. I'm NOT talking about any explosive. You just don't know it. Most everything around us is a weapon of sorts. It is impossible to prevent it all.
"in your pocket"? What happened to the NAKED strangle hold?
WOODYDEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2011, 06:05 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Lets add to the stupidity, I was able to renew my Florida license online August last year. Did not need to prove who I was just SSN.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 06:31 AM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob/Becky D - VA View Post
Point of order. There are no former or ex, etc Marines. Marine Corps has a standing order to that effect. There are only Marines. "Once a Marine - always a Marine." (Except for those who were booted under less than honorable conditions)
i was army ,i remember once in nam when our unit was used as a buffer between charlie and the marines so i guess we all did are part i am proud to be a former army member and thank you folks that are still marines, so i still haven't had my query answered "what do you carry in your pocket to protect your self"
brianj
rvn apr67-nov68
Old 04-06-2011, 06:48 AM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Ray, no offense intended just an attempt to clear this up for you. Several of us were involved when the State of Florida changed thier internal rules for DL's after 9/11. The rules were put into place by the State, not DHS. After the law changed, they approached INS (DHS had not yet been established at that point) and asked to have US Immigration Officers train DL personnel and Highway Patrol personnel on Immigration law, ARC (Alien Registration Cards), and other related Immigration matters. We spent 6-8 months on the road traveling all over the state conducting training sessions. It wasn't fun. Can you imagine the questions we got from the employees at your average DL office? Other Officers now spend part of thier time continuing to train Highway Patrol Officers at the academy in Tallahasee.

The positive side was an increase in identifying many, many illegals living in the State over the years and being turned over to DHS and ICE for (possible / not probable) Deportation Processing. The downside was, and is, the frustrating and time consuming impact it had / has on native US Citizens. Including me.

I know it doesn't help, but in this case DHS isn't the villian - perhaps it's not even the State - yet it's the price we're all paying after the madness of September 11th.

As for the overall Immigration issue - don't get me started. I've said for years that if the American public knew 30% of what is really happening within our system, what's happening on the Border every night, or simply how many "exceptions" are on the books they'd be outraged...

I'll climb off my soap box now before I get really fired up. Coffee awaits!
Old 04-06-2011, 08:48 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
DW needed to renew her Florida D/L this year. Down to DMV we go, stand in line, get to counter & then get to go back home for the rest of the required paperwork. Fortunately she had it all, just not with her. Second trip was successful.

A few days later I realized my license would expire before we returned from Maine this summer, so I went on line to see how far out FL would allow renewals. I was within the window, so I decided to renew then - and guess what? There is a link to renew on-line. So I said to myself - self - lets just try this and see what happens.

A week later I get my renewed license in the mail, good until 2017, and not one piece of paper or proof of citizenship required.

There is a SERIOUS flaw in this whole system.

Mark

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:24 AM   #20

Well I'm in Fl and DW needed to renew. She has been married twice before so before they would give her a new license she had to get her marriage papers,divorce papers from all 3 marriages and all the other papers. She also had to change her name on the SS card and since she doesn't pay the bills she had to get 2 bills sent to the house in her name! Took her over a month and over $300 to do it. Welcome to the "new safe America".
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:49 AM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When I went they wanted a SS card and birth certificate. Mind you , years back I got a replacement SS card by walking into the office at the capitol and filling out my name address and handing a 5 dollar bill to the girl. She went off and brought back my card. No other ID required. I did the same with a birth certificate.
They wouldn't accept my pistol permit which I went through a background check on both on a state and federal level -- and had fingerprints taken, nor would they take my passport issued by the federal government as proof of who I was and which required the birth cert. also.

So the easy to obtain , easily forged , social security card and birth certificate was my bonafide proof of who I was ....
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:28 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: KM Parks in Western Washington and Yuma,Az for the Winter
You Jarheads just tickle the hell outa me! And that's not meant in a derogatory way. I've had some really good friends who "Are" Marines.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:30 AM   #23
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
For one, any key can be filed or ground to a razor edge. Keys are just keys in the x-ray machine. A box cutter is not allowed so why keys.

The simple one is a "roller ball" pen. The point is sharp enough to puncture the jugular vein or any other place on the body. Along with the simple one arm strangle hold, an a roller ball pen, you have a very potential weapon. I'm think some other ball point pens could be used as well.

Can plastic be formed to a sharp edge? Can the credit card that you financially kill yourself with be honed to a fine edge.

The Homeland Security is doing the best that they can to "protect" us, but they are not going to protect against the professional terrorist that wants to blow himself up. I have a titanium knee, and when I go through a check point it sets up alarms. A terrorist intent on blowing up anything could have a knee installed filled with "whatever."

Come on! There are ways around everything, and we are only as safe as we think we are.

Paranoid? Nope. I still will fly and take my chances, just like the majority, but I'm realistic about what can happen, and how.

I watched a federal agency take precautions at it's facility by installing 8 inch metal pipes around the periphery of their more sensitive buildings. A lot of money was spent. Unfortunately they did not think about "smart" cars, or even motorcycles. A motorcycle saddle bags can be packed with enough HE to do as much damage as McVeigh did in OK.

All for show - will never stop the extremist.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:53 PM   #24

There's stupidity and then there is government.
lincoln30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:08 PM   #25

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln30 View Post
There's stupidity and then there is government.
All this talk of the government and ID reminds me of a very old joke:

Quote:
A cocky U.S. Department of Agriculture representative stopped at a farm and talked with an old farmer. He told the farmer, "I need to inspect your farm."

The old farmer said "OK, but don't go in that field right over yonder."

The U.S. Department of Agriculture representative said, "Mister, I have the authority of the U. S. Government with me. See this card? This card means I am allowed to go WHEREVER I wish on any agricultural land....no questions asked or answered. Do you understand?"

The farmer nodded politely and went about his farm chores. Later, he heard loud screams and saw the Department of Agriculture rep running for the fence and close behind was the farmer's huge-horned prize bull. The bull was madder than a nest full of hornets and was gaining on the rep at every step.

The old farmer called out, "Show him your card, son!! SHOW HIM YOUR CARD!!
'nuff said.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:42 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
I hit kinda the same problem when my first wife and I built a new house in Granite falls area and moved from High Point, NC to the new house.
Being a good citizen I went over to the DMV to change my residence on my license. I stood in line and when it came my turn I presented my valid drivers license to the clerk and explained that I needed to ''change my address'' because I had moved to the Hickory area. This guy looked me straight in the face and told me ''You will need POSITIVE ID SIR''...... ''Scuse me sir''....'' Look at the pix on my valid license and look at me'' ''Do that real quick so you dont forget what I look like and you will see that this is ME''.
He looked at me with a straight face and asked if I had a SS card. I said NO and SS cards are not for Identification. He asked if I had a Light Bill or a Gass Bill. I told him NO but I had two major credit cards if they would do. He was not impressed. He handed me back my License and said that I should go get ''Positive Identification'' like a Light Bill or a Water bill or a SS card and he could change my address when he was satisfied that ''I WAS ME''....... I left in a huff and went home and got an old copy of our water/light bill with no pix, no signature, nothing, and went back to the DMV and they changed my address on my license no problem.

My pretty wife Linda spiffed up, went down there sometime later, Smiled at the man, handed him her old Drivers License and he changed the address post haste, no problem. Of course she had much nicer ''boobies'' than me and she was much prettier.

go figure.......

I will be so glad when our troops come home ..... I may just throw a party......
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:57 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Seajay - So glad you brought your sense of humor to this party. And glad to hear your wife is prettier than you!
rewaters49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:58 AM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Billieg - Love your tagline. Now I know I haven't 'wasted' so much of my life...
rewaters49 is offline   Reply With Quote