Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-03-2016, 06:09 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes but its only funny because weve all done exactly the same things when starting out. You gots to pay your dues!
ramblinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2016, 06:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondavalk View Post
If you want some even better laughs go down to a public boat launch on a spring day
I know it. Used to get six and just go park at the ramp and watch. Feel bad now, naw not really.
fletch460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 06:31 PM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinboy View Post
Yes but its only funny because weve all done exactly the same things when starting out. You gots to pay your dues!
I paid my dues on a tractor when I was 14 years old. Try backing a hay wagon up to the barn. talk about a learning curve. Never use the honey wagon down wind.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:32 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This reminds me of a time that my grandfather, my parents and I and my aunt, uncle and cousins went camping at Lake Casitas (California) back in 1963.

My grandfather had a canvas umbrella tent and my aunt and uncle rented an identical one. My grandfather set his up in minutes and sat down to watch my dad and uncle try to set up the other one.

My dad and uncle were inside the tent trying to open it up, and get the umbrella support to stay put, but it wouldn't cooperate. After about 15-20 minutes of watching my dad and uncle in there with sweat pouring, my grandfather couldn't hold his laughter in any longer and went over to give them some sage advice. He told them, "You should peg the tent down first!"

Then he said, "So you guys were in the Army?" He was a Navy Seabee.

We still laugh about that to this day.
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 06:33 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondavalk View Post
If you want some even better laughs go down to a public boat launch on a spring day
No doubt about it, the boat ramp is the best place to watch the follies. Best show times are in the late afternoon for the retrieval show after a liberal amount of beer has been consumed. It really is not that hard to get a boat onto a trailer.

The CG can be fun too. Watched a guy go back & forth 15 times, counted him, to get into an easy backin site with his 5er. Rentals are fun too. Some seem to think that battery power is limitless for lights for dry camping & leave everything on.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 06:38 PM   #20

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifemember View Post
Part of our entertainment is watching others backing the rigs into place. I should rethink that and offer lessons for a few bucks.
We try not to be too obvious or laugh out loud!!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 06:40 PM   #21

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinboy View Post
For me it is second nature, never really have ever had a problem.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:45 PM   #22

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We had reservations at a WA beach, got there and it was the last site, on the inside of a tight turn and a tree or two close by. Got set up to back in and I noticed two gentlemen come out of a rig with some bottled adult beverages and sit at the picnic table to watch.
I backed in perfectly the first time, but I did have to pull forward to get my rear jacks on the pavement. They got up and went inside. Sorry, no floor show today kids!!
Old 03-04-2016, 06:04 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
After I started this thread I thought back on my experiences. And I do remember our first trip in our new pop-up. We got it for a deal and it came with a screen porch. I remember a few choice words from my DH as we tried to figure out how to hang it!! A nice neighbor in a 5er came over and offered assistance. I also remember on that trip not realizing there wasn't a gray water holding tank!! Quite the swamp on the backside of the trailer!
Old 03-11-2016, 01:32 PM   #24

We were so self-conscious at being campground entertainment when setting up our 5th wheel when we first got it that we would only camp if we could leave on Thursdays and set up in the early afternoon to minimize the audience and potential helpers... I recall one site where I learned the lesson to ensure there is enough room for the slide between the trailer and the tree... had the trailer completely off the truck and level before we caught that one... We've made plenty of mistakes, but fortunately never the same one twice. Got better with time so not as much show potential anymore... those were the good ol' days...
VACHZHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:46 AM   #25

One of the games my son and I play when camping is "Fill in the conversation". Camping at Oregon State Parks provides hours of entertainment. Our favorite Is when the husband and wife take turns backing and guiding the other. Watched a couple for 2 beers till they muscled a Jeep Cherokee with cargo trailer into the spot. I would normally help if it is a single person, couple that is trying hard but cooperating but I never get in between a husband and wife argument on who is the better driver and how the other cant back up with simple hand and arm gestures.
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:12 AM   #26

You guys are terrible Some years ago my Brother-in-law borrowed my parents camper & tow vehicle. Scant attention was paid to instructions. I got the play-by-play later from my sister. The funniest part was, of course, at check-out & time to dump the tank. He remembered most of the instructions, but not the part about tightening the "hose clamp" !! He had to shower "right away !!!!
old woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 01:32 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
hondavalk, be sure and bring a six pack with you, after you do enjoy a few laughs ask the guy or girl doing the driving if they would like a beer. I have seen more that one truck in the water because they forgot to set the brake and got out to check things out. Also I have seen a bunch forget to put the drain plugs in, then they discover this they make a mad dash to get the trailer and try and get the boat 1/2 full of water loaded back on the trailer. What a great way to spend a few hours of fun at someone else expense.
Texas-Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 11:55 AM   #28

Dad taught me as a kid how to back the boat into e water so he could stay in the boat and launch it. The ability has stuck with me. When we met friends at a campgrounds with our new camper they came to "help" us get set up. (I think they we're hoping for entertainment LoL) I backed the trailer into the spot first try. Friend laughed and said "are u sure this is your first camper?" just said yep... But not first trailer. Gotta admit though the limited visibility does make it more difficult than my boats of past years were to back up.
travelerx2 is offline   Reply With Quote