Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:51 AM   #1
Monaco Owners Club
Govt Workers or Contractors?

Me an Leroy
A guy stopped at a local gas station & after filling his tank, he paid the bill and bought a soft drink. He stood by his car to drink his cola and watched a couple of men working along the roadside. One man would dig a hole two or three feet deep and then move on. The other man came along behind him and filled in the hole. While one was digging a new hole, the other was 25 feet behind filling in the hole. The men worked right past the guy with the soft drink and went on down the road.

"I can't stand this," said the man tossing the can into a trash container and heading down the road toward the men. "Hold it, hold it," he said to the men. "Can you tell me what's going on here with all this digging and refilling?"

"Well, we work for the government and we're just doing our job," one of the men said.

"But one of you is digging a hole and the other fills it up. You're not accomplishing anything. Aren't you wasting the taxpayers' money?"

"You don't understand, mister," one of the men said, leaning on his shovel and wiping his brow. "Normally there's three of us: me, Elmer and Leroy. I dig the hole, Elmer sticks in the tree, and Leroy here puts the dirt back. Elmer's job's been cut... so now it's just me an' Leroy. We’re saving the taxpayers money because now there’s only two people doing the job of three.”
I'm not Fat, just Tactially Padded

Doug & Connie
2001 Holiday Rambler Imperial 41ft PBD 370hp ISL AF1 braking system
2001 Subaru Forester manual toad
BeltoneMagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2012, 09:45 AM   #2
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
That's bad!

But I like it.

Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2008 Winnebago Destination 39W
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:43 AM   #3
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
But true...
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:16 AM   #4
National RV Owners Club
You have no idea how true this is. I use to work for Defense Contracts, one of our main responsibilities was to monitor the "honest" contractors doing business with the Gov't. This was, before the onslaught of the computers, accomplished by being in the contractor facilities. Then some "person" decided that if we could proof the contractors processes and input the info into the computer we could save money by not being onsite at a contractor facility. We could cut personnel and save some bucks. Now the vast majority of businesses are honest and do a great job, but there are those that if not watched closely will "tweak" processes or even substitute materials. Here is one example. A company was providing parts for aircraft, commercial and military, their processes had been approved, therefore no inhouse Gov't rep. The Contractor was substituting inferior product and the only way the Gov't found out was by an inhouse whistle blower.
Joe & Angie
Shih Tzu's Cookie & Rocky
2001 Tradewinds 7390 2011 CRV EX-L Navi w/ RoadMaster FuseMaster
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:43 PM   #5
iRV2 No Limits Club
In a former life I was a WA State transportation engineer. One of my jobs was inspecting construction to be sure it met specifications. There were some contractors men that I knew did good work and all I had to do was check it. Others were serious about cutting corners and giving the gov't inferior work. They weren't happy when they had to do it over and I've been threatened with bodily injury more than once.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:44 PM   #6
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Never time to do it right, but always time to do it twice.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:25 PM   #7
Funrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:02 AM   #8
Fleetwood Owners Club
Definitly Govt Workers. If they were contractors, they would have lost the contract. Almost impossible to fire a govt employee.......

Jim & Bonnie Roach
2012 Fleetwood Southwind
2012 VW Beetle
jimroach is offline   Reply With Quote