Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-04-2012, 04:57 AM   #1
Grandma Still Drives

Grandma Still Drives

Grandma is eighty-eight years old and still drives her own motorhome. She writes: Dear Grand-daughter,
The other day I went up to our local Christian book store and saw a 'Honk if you love Jesus' bumper sticker ..

I was feeling particularly sassy that day because I had just come from a thrilling choir performance, followed by a thunderous prayer meeting.. So, I bought the sticker and put it on my bumper.
Boy, am I glad I did; what an uplifting experience that followed.

I was stopped at a red light at a busy intersection, while RV'ing through Florida just lost in thought about the Lord and how good he is, and I didn't notice that the light had changed. It is a good thing someone else loves Jesus because if he hadn't honked, I'd never have noticed. I found that lots of people love Jesus!

While I was sitting there, the guy behind started honking like crazy, and then he leaned out of his window and screamed, 'For the love of God!' 'Go! Go! Go! Jesus Christ, GO!' What an exuberant cheerleader he was for Jesus!

Everyone started honking! I just leaned out my window and started waving and smiling at all those loving people. I even honked my horn a few times to share in the love! There must have been a man from Florida back there because I heard him yelling something about a sunny beach..

I saw another guy waving in a funny way with only his middle finger stuck up in the air. I asked my young teenage grandson in the passenger seat what that meant. He said it was probably a Hawaiian good luck sign or something. Well, I have never met anyone from Hawaii , so I leaned out the window and gave him the good luck sign right back. My grandson burst out laughing. Why even he was enjoying this religious experience!!

A couple of the people were so caught up in the joy of the moment that they got out of their cars and started walking towards me. I bet they wanted to pray or ask what church I attended, but this is when I noticed the light had changed. So, grinning, I waved at all my brothers and sisters, and drove on through the intersection. I noticed that I was the only rig that got through the intersection before the light changed again and felt kind of sad that I had to leave them after all the love we had shared. So I slowed the motorhome down, leaned out the window and gave them all the Hawaiian good luck sign one last time as I drove away. Praise the Lord for such wonderful folks!!

Will write again soon,
Love, Grandma

Happy Prospector is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2012, 05:34 AM   #2

Good Luck, Be Safe and Above All, Don't Forget To Have Fun
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, being pushed by a 2009 Honda CRV
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:44 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The problem is that is so true with so many of the elderly drivers.

We finally got my 88 year old Mother in Law to stop driving. Her eye Doctor finally told her se could not see well enough to drive. Her car was getting all sorts of damage in the parking lot from "careless" shoppers clipping her bumpers and even smashing her wheel covers. Finally a church member also called her and told her she had nearly been hit pulling out of the church parking lot and had hit the curb a couple times as she left.

So seriously, if you have an elderly loved one driving, please get an assessment of their driving and if needed take the keys away from them.

The joke is funny, but also, so true.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:06 AM   #4
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My Mothe-in-law bless her soul kept insisting that she had been out and about "just the other day" with her car.,.. Due to her failing eyesight and memory my wife, daughter and I had conspired to take her everywhere she needed to go for such a long time that the battery in her car was completly flat, I mean it would not take or hold a charge the only way to start the car was to jump it.

At least we knew she was not going to cause an accident with it.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:13 AM   #5
We just assigned one of the teenage grandkids the privilege of being grandma's driver-- their reward was use of the car provided they kept the tank filled and carried a cell phone so grandma could call for a ride when she needed it.

worked pretty well.
KAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:43 AM   #6
My 97-year-old mother lives in rural Minnesota during the warmer half of the year, and here in the Los Angeles area during the other half.

A few years ago, during a rain storm, she ended up stopped in the "gore point" of a freeway split due to indecision of direction to take, and that convinced her that she should no longer drive the L.A. freeway system, even if dry.

However, she fearlessly still drives sixty miles one-way in rural northern Minnesota to visit her sister, and drives the five miles into town each Sunday for church. Her eyes are still good, her reflexes are adequate, so we don't put up much of a fight about it.

Her driver's license expires on her ninety-ninth birthday, and at this point she sees no reason not to have it renewed!

We'll see.........

1999 Flagstaff 21FB, 2000 F-350 Lariat LB/CC 7.3L SRW 3:73
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #7
Ford Super Duty Owner
my 94 yo aunt complains about hoe the other old people drive
just liven life in east tn or where ever our
2011 georgetown ,2012 explorer and 02 tbird take us
tncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My M-I-L was complaining the people were bang up and scrapping her car in the parking lots. From the damage on her car, it was self inflicted. I pity the people parked next to her. So we were pushing her to stop driving and after the call from her friend at church, we talked to her eye Doctor and asked him to not pass her on eye sight.

It is hard to give up your freedom. But driving is a privilege, and not a right. You have to earn that privilege.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:31 AM   #9
Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
The joke was very funny!

The subject is of course very serious. My mom died earlier this year at 89. At 83 she had the signs of dementia and after having a discussion with her doctor, the DW and I made the decission to take her car away. Yep mom was not happy at first but I knew she was have been devastated if she injured someone in an accident. I have already had the talk with my two "kids" ( 35 and 33 ) I am 57 and when the time comes to take away the keys they will regardless of how much I protest. Better to do that than cause harm to someone. There is no magical age where you can't drive any more. Each case is different. Just be ready to make to right decission when the time comes.
Many happy miles and smiles.

Dan 2008 Allegro 32 BA FRED, Honda Fit
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who know binary, and those who don't.
danf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:44 AM   #10
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to KDbug
My Mom is 71yo and up til recently she was still driving but due to health reasons we (my sister, brother & I) had the Doctor tell her she couldn't drive so we took the keys and someone be it one of us or one of her grand kids she get taken were she needs to go the family joke with the grand-kids is ....It's your turn to Drive Miss Daisy (Grandma).
KDbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:01 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A number of years ago,my mother,who was 88 at the time,drove several other ladies from Olympia to Sequim for lunch after church.This is a 2 hour trip on a rwo lane along Hood Canal on hwy 101 and not the easiest.After lunch,she backed into another car and neither she or the others noticed it and they left.Well,someone else did and reported it.A couple of months later a thurston county sheriff's deputy knocked on her door and told her about it and suggested that she not go back to Jefferson county as there was a hit and run warrant out for her car.The next day,she gave her car to my sister,but kept her license,even though she never drove again

'01 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
2011 Jeep Liberty
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote