Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-05-2014, 10:21 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Just For Fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,088
Hand Signals to/for/at Your SO

Significant Others (SO) are - at the same times - the most pleasurable mates one can travel with and the most frustrating humans alive. This goes in both directions; I'm NOT playing male chauvinist!

Case-in-point: My wife and two puppies (and me included) just returned from a fantastic three week trip from Yellowstone to Washington state and south on Hwy 101 and 1 to our home in San Diego. For the most part, everything was w o n d e r f u l. But where things unraveled-at-the-ends was when I had her sit in the driver's seat (my sole place of authority) and watching me at the rear, hooking up and checking out our toad (traditionally her area).

HAND SIGNALS!!!!! It seems that within our species, there are multiple interpretations as to what hand gestures mean. As an example: When checking the electrical connections to our toad for turn signals and the rest while standing to the rear of the toad, pointing to the left means "Left Turn Signal" and pointing to the right means "Right Turn Signal." Moving your hangs in a forwardly direction means "Move Forward" to check the unlocking of the gears in the toad so that it can safely be towed.

While this all seems simple, complications can ensue and additional hand gestures can be used to express one's discontent!!!!

So, in an effort to create a list of obvious and not so obvious Hand Signals, I'd like to begin with ours (mine) and ask you who also use them, add your's (again, this is for either SO. No mater what your relationship is at the beginning of your road trip):
1. Pointing to the right - Right Turn Signal
2. Pointing to the left - Left Turn Signal
3. Both hands motioning forward - SLOWLY Give The HM Gas And Move Forward
4. Both hands up, palms facing to SO - STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5. Both hands on your hips - What The Hell Were You Thinking!!!
6. Head bowed in a downwardly fashion - some times shacking to the right and left and one (or both in extreme situations) hands on your head - I Just Can't Believe You Did That
7. Simply standing there with your head tilted slightly to one side - REALLY!! That's What You THOUGHT I Ment

After almost 20 years of traveling with my wife, you cannot imagine some of the unprintable gestures we sercumed to.

Well, that should start us off on this thread of Hand Gestures. Please provide your own. And KEEP SMILING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
__________________

__________________
2006 Monaco Signature 45' Commander IV ISX 600 dance:
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2014, 10:41 AM   #2
Registered User
 
mel s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just For Fun View Post
Significant Others (SO) are - at the same times - the most pleasurable mates one can travel with and the most frustrating humans alive. This goes in both directions; I'm NOT playing male chauvinist!

Case-in-point: My wife and two puppies (and me included) just returned from a fantastic three week trip from Yellowstone to Washington state and south on Hwy 101 and 1 to our home in San Diego. For the most part, everything was w o n d e r f u l. But where things unraveled-at-the-ends was when I had her sit in the driver's seat (my sole place of authority) and watching me at the rear, hooking up and checking out our toad (traditionally her area).

HAND SIGNALS!!!!! It seems that within our species, there are multiple interpretations as to what hand gestures mean. As an example: When checking the electrical connections to our toad for turn signals and the rest while standing to the rear of the toad, pointing to the left means "Left Turn Signal" and pointing to the right means "Right Turn Signal." Moving your hangs in a forwardly direction means "Move Forward" to check the unlocking of the gears in the toad so that it can safely be towed.

While this all seems simple, complications can ensue and additional hand gestures can be used to express one's discontent!!!!

So, in an effort to create a list of obvious and not so obvious Hand Signals, I'd like to begin with ours (mine) and ask you who also use them, add your's (again, this is for either SO. No mater what your relationship is at the beginning of your road trip):
1. Pointing to the right - Right Turn Signal
2. Pointing to the left - Left Turn Signal
3. Both hands motioning forward - SLOWLY Give The HM Gas And Move Forward
4. Both hands up, palms facing to SO - STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5. Both hands on your hips - What The Hell Were You Thinking!!!
6. Head bowed in a downwardly fashion - some times shacking to the right and left and one (or both in extreme situations) hands on your head - I Just Can't Believe You Did That
7. Simply standing there with your head tilted slightly to one side - REALLY!! That's What You THOUGHT I Ment

After almost 20 years of traveling with my wife, you cannot imagine some of the unprintable gestures we sercumed to.

Well, that should start us off on this thread of Hand Gestures. Please provide your own. And KEEP SMILING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just For Fun
IMO, it doesn't matter what hand signals are used.

What "matters" is that the signalee understands what the signaler is signaling.

Mel
'96 Safari
__________________

__________________
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:49 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 188
Two Motorolas, less than $20 a pair.
__________________
wydglydrydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 12:00 PM   #4
Registered User
 
mel s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by wydglydrydr View Post
Two Motorolas, less than $20 a pair.
Hand signals, FREE.... (and never a dead battery).
Mel
'96 Safari
__________________
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 12:09 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
BethLL's Avatar
 
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 244
Cell phones, one on speaker

DH and I rode motorcycles in group formation so we use those the the exception of, the arms extended over head and crossed which means STOP! We use the cell phone if we are parking after dark.
Whatever signals you use, be consistent and make sure you both understand what is meant by each signal. The "universal" signal should only be used in dire circumstances!
__________________
Beth and Dave with Hope the Boston Terrier rescue
and her little Boston Terrier boy-toy, Winston
in a 2015 Entegra Cornerstone 45J
BethLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 02:51 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Just For Fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,088
This thread was intended to be a bit more humorous. Really!!

Yes, I do understand the radio thing. But...
__________________
2006 Monaco Signature 45' Commander IV ISX 600 dance:
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 02:58 PM   #7
RVM#87 / Senior Member
 
DieselTech39's Avatar


 
Solo Rvers Club
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Ham Lake, MN
Posts: 3,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just For Fun View Post
Yes, I do understand the radio thing. But...
but, I am pondering the hand signal if your SO reads this post.
__________________
Have a wonderful day!
Ken (RVM 87)
FT DP Wanna B The journey is the destination!
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:11 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 108
My DW and I both met while working on the ramp for a major airline. We used to marshall in passenger aircraft Into their assigned gates so our signaling is a little different, but we totally understand each other when it comes to precision RV parking!


Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

'97 MACA (Shurley)
__________________
Mark & Kandi
'97 Newmar 3757 MACA 37' (Shurley)
Ford 460 chassis
Turbofans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:51 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Just For Fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselTech39 View Post
but, I am pondering the hand signal if your SO reads this post.
Fortunately she NEVER reads from this forum. Fortunately for me!!!!!!!!!
__________________
2006 Monaco Signature 45' Commander IV ISX 600 dance:
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 09:58 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
OLYLEN's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Olympia, Wa
Posts: 2,337
What I want to know is the difference between one finger raised on one hand and one finger raised on each hand.

LEN
__________________
2004 Clss C 31' Winnebgo
OLYLEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 04:02 PM   #11
Member
 
hoakken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
What I want to know is the difference between one finger raised on one hand and one finger raised on each hand.

LEN
I thought is was simply waving at one person or two persons but for the life of I can never seem to see those other people being waved at!
__________________
hoakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:36 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
borderboardr's Avatar
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: The Streets of Laredo
Posts: 133
One finger raised and directed towards another person means "you're #1 in my book." We truck drivers receive "the Number One Award" on countless occasions. I can never figure out why they never use the index finger though.......
__________________
borderboardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:48 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
JSPERRELLA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: In Red Bay headed to Spring, TX
Posts: 173
Even with the walkie talkies or phones if the driver does not know left from right you are still in deep doodoo
__________________
John & Becky Perrella
Katie Bug Our Pug
2009 Allegro Bus 43 QRP
JSPERRELLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:59 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
UFO Pilot's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 4,611
When checking the toad lights:
1. Pointing left means all the left turn lights work
2. Pointing right means all the right turn lights work
3. Closed fist means the brake (Stop) lights all work.

When backing up:
A closed fist always means STOP!
__________________

__________________
Wayne & Roberta and Maggie the Miracle Dog
08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis
Making the Journey in our Destination

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.