Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:26 PM   #15

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">My baby crib was painted with lead paint and I am sure I chewed on a lot of it.

Our home wood work was painted with lead paint.

We had a lot of asbestos in flooring, ceiling, and plumbing.

I drank water out of a black rubber hose. I did learn to flush the hose first to take the bad taste out.

I learned to ride a bicycle and continued to ride it with out a helmet.

I played in playgrounds with out shavings or sawdust under the slides or merry-go-rounds.

I grew up next to a river with 600' of unfenced frontage. I fished and played by the river unsupervised for 15 years.

Now according to todays standards I should of died from to much ingested lead, got poisoned by using a non white hose, been killed or maimed by hitting the unprotected hard ground, had major head damage or death from lack of a helmet while bicycle riding, or drowned falling into the river. When my DW gets mad at me (hardly ever) she blames the lead for damage to my brain. What are your thoughts? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">NO KIDDING !! I did some of those things. I also:

~rode in the back of my dad's pick up truck down the back roads.

~did not wear a seat belt until I was 16

~learned to ride a two wheeler on a dirt road in shorts with no pads on.

~drank water from a garden hose

~climbed trees up as high as I could

~ wandered my neighborhood for hours at a time with no cell phone

~rode on the back of my grandpa's motorcycle from the age of 9 and up

~came home from the hospital in my mom's arms, not a car seat

~spent whole summers catching snakes, frogs and turles in a pond without an adult around

~rode on the handlebars of my friend's bike

~went trick or treating by myself when I was 11

My kids have told me that they envy the freedom that I had when I was a kid. I told them that their kids will say the same about them one day. Each year there are more laws passed restricting our freedom and our right to make our own choices. While I know most are done with good intentions, It's still a little depressing </span>

~Shannone & Chad [/COLOR]
Lil'Darlin1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2008, 04:06 PM   #16

Alpine Owners Club
How come I lived this long?

Looks like a good place to tell a true story of my stupidity. I had a Schwinn stingray 5 speed . You know the banana seat, high handle bars, and slick on the rear tire. I was riding out to my aunts (Iowa) on a new concrete country road. I friend passed me on his 175 Honda , turned around and offered to pull me for a while. So, dumb me, I took my right hand and held on to a grab bar on the side of his bike and put my other hand on the steering stem . Well, we got up to 30...ok....40...ok..go faster....50....go faster.....60.....we can go faster..70....75...that is fast enough . Now I'm still leaned over holding on to the bike, with only one hand still on the steering stem. I let go of his motorcycle and put both hands up on the handlebar grips . A stingray was never meant to go that fast...high speed wobble . I grabbed the rear brake locking the rear wheel and got slowed down before I crashed. The brand new tire was flat spotted down to the cords. I still rode out to my aunts....thump...thump...thump!!!

I lived to tell about it
Old 04-19-2008, 06:52 AM   #17

well the way I see it is if you don't like the smell of the cigarettes then remove your self from the problem it is the same thing if you don't like a radio or tv program you change the channel or turn it off I have a girlfriend that doesn't smoke and when I quit smoking for her she keep buying me them and she also agrees with me especially if you are out side there is 100 to 1000's times more air then smoke so you guys that are complaining about the smoke then you don't have to go in to the places wear it is present and if you want to start to hollower about discrimination the you are on the wrong side of the argument because it is the smokers that are being discriminated against I don't even remember there even being a vote for losing my rights the government is just making up rules as they go along and that is not fare or legal to us little people
Old 04-19-2008, 07:00 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
[quote]well the way I see it is if you don't like the smell of the cigarettes then remove your self from the problem

I have a better idea. Remove the smoke so we can all enjoy the indoors together.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 07:43 PM   #19

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have a better idea. Remove the smoke so we can all enjoy the indoors together. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree 100%. If you want to smoke 500 cigarettes a day, I don't care, but when you smoke violates my space then its me again you. AND YOU WILL LOSE.
Old 04-19-2008, 07:48 PM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have done a lot of the things mentioned above as a kid. Still kicking. To add a little to the list, though, I also:
Ran in the fog of the DDT sprayer that came to kill mosquitos ion the neighborhood.
Chewed tar from the roofing machine like gum.

Those are not recommended now either!
Joe
JWatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 08:29 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lil'Darlin1972:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">My baby crib was painted with lead paint and I am sure I chewed on a lot of it.

Our home wood work was painted with lead paint.

We had a lot of asbestos in flooring, ceiling, and plumbing.

I drank water out of a black rubber hose. I did learn to flush the hose first to take the bad taste out.

I learned to ride a bicycle and continued to ride it with out a helmet.

I played in playgrounds with out shavings or sawdust under the slides or merry-go-rounds.

I grew up next to a river with 600' of unfenced frontage. I fished and played by the river unsupervised for 15 years.

Now according to todays standards I should of died from to much ingested lead, got poisoned by using a non white hose, been killed or maimed by hitting the unprotected hard ground, had major head damage or death from lack of a helmet while bicycle riding, or drowned falling into the river. When my DW gets mad at me (hardly ever) she blames the lead for damage to my brain. What are your thoughts? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">NO KIDDING !! I did some of those things. I also:

~rode in the back of my dad's pick up truck down the back roads.

~did not wear a seat belt until I was 16

~learned to ride a two wheeler on a dirt road in shorts with no pads on.

~drank water from a garden hose

~climbed trees up as high as I could

~ wandered my neighborhood for hours at a time with no cell phone

~rode on the back of my grandpa's motorcycle from the age of 9 and up

~came home from the hospital in my mom's arms, not a car seat

~spent whole summers catching snakes, frogs and turles in a pond without an adult around

~rode on the handlebars of my friend's bike

~went trick or treating by myself when I was 11

My kids have told me that they envy the freedom that I had when I was a kid. I told them that their kids will say the same about them one day. Each year there are more laws passed restricting our freedom and our right to make our own choices. While I know most are done with good intentions, It's still a little depressing </span> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I can say that I have done most everything there but I can add things like drinking and driving when you couldn't even find the road, let alone driving through peoples yards, swiming without lifejackets, and a whole lot more. I'd safely say that anything that is considered unsafe or illegal either by car or by habit, I've done. AND, guess what, I'm still here typing this message, may not be here tomorrow but for now, good to go! Sometimes its better to not worry so much about how things are, but how much fun you put in your life while you have a chance. That's my take!
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote