Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-04-2010, 07:55 PM   #43

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
Try crossing Texas at 55mph.
Sounds kind of like driving through CA from southern to northern on I-5. Driving through what once was a rich agricultural center, now like a modern day dust bowl, because water has been diverted from farming to major cities.
OK I'll stay on topic, took forever to get across at 60 mph.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2010, 09:58 PM   #44

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer View Post
Sounds kind of like driving through CA from southern to northern on I-5. Driving through what once was a rich agricultural center, now like a modern day dust bowl, because water has been diverted from farming to major cities.
OK I'll stay on topic, took forever to get across at 60 mph.
But it is so true and sad.
OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:10 AM   #45

I have a 40 Winnebago Vectra and drive 1400 RPM on my 400 cummings. Great gas mileage, easy on the nerves, 57 MPH, in 6th gear and plenty of power for emergency situations. The high speed guys are crazy and their days are numbered. I want a higher number. I used to have a 911 Porsche and drove it fast--because it was made to perform at those speeds--RV's are not. RocketmanRV
RocketmanRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:31 AM   #46

Newmar Owners Club
No More Speeding for Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRV View Post
Well in the Land of No Guns and No Drinking and Driving No Cell Phones ,we now have No More Speeding!
New Rules could result in Losing the Vehicle if caught speeding.as well as Your Driver's License.
There will be Zero Tolerance in School Zones and if You are 40 kph over the Speed Limit You automatically Lose Your License, have Your Vehicle Impounded for 7 Days get 3 Penalty Points and Your Insurance cost will go up for 3 Years!
From this moment on I will be joining the ranks of the Doddering Old Farts! I can't afford to lose My License, or My Vehicle!

Sorry Folks I had forgotten which forum I was on! The Land I'm talking about is BC Canada. Will this affect out of Province/Country Vehicles ?? The News media says Yes but how The Gestapo er government will pull that one off is a very large question!

It really doesn't pay to Drink and drive either as they will Bust Yer Chops here for consuming ONE Beer of course that's like drinking Three of those Eh Merican Suds!
Old 09-05-2010, 12:41 AM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We set the cruise control to 62 MPH on the Interstate and travel at the speedlimit most other places (conditions permitting).

It used to get irritated by people on the country roads getting real close and looking up your exhaust pipe. For some reason I don't worry so much about it any more when going at the signposted speedlimit.

Funny enough, the same impatient drivers don't overtake you when the road then clears leaving them plenty of space and time to overtake. What is then the point of driving along only 3 yards behind a MH and toad?

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:48 AM   #48

Newmar Owners Club
They are trying to learn to spell Diplomat! I have never been able to figure that out either, maybe they think that drafting will get them better fuel mileage or they enjoy the smell of the exhaust pipe!
Old 09-05-2010, 07:49 AM   #49

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeT View Post
About 62/63. On rare occasions when I'm in a hurry I might do 65.
I agree with the above. Those are the speeds that I drive also. Having said that, I have noticed that my overall speed average for the day is about 50 mph. This is based upon my GPS and my own calculations. It includes rest breaks and gas stops but not lunch. I know that if I have to go 300 miles in a day that it will take me 6 hours plus time for lunch.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:23 AM   #50

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to idenphones
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRV View Post
Sorry Folks I had forgotten which forum I was on! The Land I'm talking about is BC Canada. Will this affect out of Province/Country Vehicles ?? The News media says Yes but how The Gestapo er government will pull that one off is a very large question!

It really doesn't pay to Drink and drive either as they will Bust Yer Chops here for consuming ONE Beer of course that's like drinking Three of those Eh Merican Suds!
So BC is now about the same as Ontario? Oh no!

The cops and towtruck drivers just love this law.
idenphones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:03 AM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
One advantage for me traveling at or just under 60 is that I can stay in the right lane as cars merge onto the highway and easily gain speed to get ahead of me. Taking shorter breaks gets you there alot faster then speeding. Im the turtle that can beat the rabbit any day.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:54 AM   #52

I set my cruise at 68 most of the time. Most highways around here are 65-70 limit. 1450 rpms at 68. And I don't slow down for hills. 8-10 mpg all the time.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:25 PM   #53

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer View Post
Wow, This is interesting, it seems appx 98% of this forum drives conservatively. Now I don't feel so bad about putt'in down the interstate at 60 MPH!

I keep telling folks: The RV life style is all about stopping to smell the roses

NOT hightaliing it because "I'm late, I'm late, for a very important date"

Oh, my normal speed 55-60 peak..

Above that the MPG goes down faster than the MPH goes up.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:24 PM   #54

Fleetwood Owners Club
500HP@1375RPM=63mph nets 8 mpg

That is not my email address either.

Dave
Old 09-05-2010, 09:34 PM   #55

Newmar Owners Club
Try having a right front tire blowout while entering a two lane bridge, now you know why I drive 60 miles an hour.
petebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:37 PM   #56

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by petebeth View Post
Try having a right front tire blowout while entering a two lane bridge, now you know why I drive 60 miles an hour.
That didn't really happen to you, did it?

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote